Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! My computer is allergic to Quicktime videos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! My computer is allergic to Quicktime videos!

For some reason, my computer has developed a serious allergy to Quicktime videos. I have several music videos, movie trailers, and a few other random video files that are Quicktime .mov files, and whenever I open one of them, either in Quicktime or Media Player Classis, my computer locks up solid as a rusted hinge. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling QT and MPC, but it was no help at all. These are the only video files that cause the lockup, so something is going on inside my comp that isn't liking .mov files. Can anyone help?

Anyone?

Comment

1.) Quicktime licks donkey anus, why are you running vids with that horrid format?

2.) What OS? If you're on XP, try a system restore to a week ago or something. You've probably pooched something in the registry.

3.) Uninstall/reinstall your vid card drivers. Didn't you have issues with this a while back?

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

how fast is your comp? It may be that quicktime is taking to much resources inorder to decode .mov files... Other than that a new better quicktime will be out for windows users soon.
        PNW E30 CREW ///

Comment

quicktime is such an old format I can hardly imagine that anyone has a computer too old to play them.

is it only quicktime that makes your computer lock up? I'd make sure all the dust and shit is blown out of the fans and heatsinks, that'll cause a computer to crash like no other.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

AMD Athlon Xp 1600+
            Windows XP SP2
            ATi Radeon 9800SE

The only reason I have ANYTHING in .mov format is because it's mostly streaming movie trailers and/or music videos that I find the source for and download so I can watch them in full screen whenever I want. I'm thinking Nathan's reason could be what is going on. Nando, I just recently cleaned out all the fans and junk, but my case doesn't have a panel on one side, so maybe I'll do it again.

On the flipside, is there anyway to convert .mov files to something that will play with WMP?

Comment

Download media player classic and the quicktime alternative codec and see if it still blows up at you.

If it does.

format > reinstall.
              Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
              Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

the quick fix would be to buy a Mac, duh.

Comment

I tried updating my video card drivers to the latest Catalyst drivers, problem still persists.

Oh, and it's not just Quicktime videos anymore, it's all videos. I've also noticed that it mainly only happens when I enlarge the player window to full or near full screen.

Comment

I GOT IT!!!!1!!!!1!1!!!!111111!!1

YOU HAVE AN ATI AND THEY ALL SUX0RZZ!!!!

Seriously though, how old is the video card? (I'm not familiar with when what ATI came out when...) Maybe you should think about upgrading to a nVidia Geforce something or other...
                    PNW E30 CREW ///

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan
                      I GOT IT!!!!1!!!!1!1!!!!111111!!1

YOU HAVE AN ATI AND THEY ALL SUX0RZZ!!!!

Seriously though, how old is the video card? (I'm not familiar with when what ATI came out when...) Maybe you should think about upgrading to a nVidia Geforce something or other...
                      Ha ha ha, I was waiting for someone to start the Ford/Chevy - Pepsi/Coke - ATi/nVidia debate.

I like my GPU, but that's not the issue. It's only about a year old, and as I posted before, I just updated the drivers. I'm not sure what the issue is, maybe I'll swap in a friend's GPU real quick-like and see what that does.

Comment

Manufacturing defects do happen and things can break, especially after the warranty(sp?) has expired do these kinds of things tend to show up and i'm sure you don't have anything more than a year warranty. Trying a friends GPU out is a good idea, if you have a motherboard with on-board video you might also want to try that. (for testing purposes only...)

PS: I had to start the debate but to each his own.
                        PNW E30 CREW ///

Comment

go to the start menu
                          click on the run option
                          type in "mplayer2"
                          and then drag your file into the player

This should solve the problem
                          PNW Crew
                          90 m3
                          06 m5

Comment

Josh, you need a faster processor... want to trade one of mine for those pistons/rods?

Comment

Originally posted by permit
                              the quick fix would be to buy a Mac, duh.
                              nuff said...

Comment

Working...
                              X