i would intern you I wouldnt pay you, yet.
first of all what do you want to do? edit? video? direct? produce? sure its nice that you can get by doing any one of those but you fail to excel in any one area. Find your focus and get amazing at it.
Me personally I suck at directing, I can run a camera all day long and get a shot list filled but I have an issue directing on my own, therefore when I go out on shoots I make sure the director knows and we can work with each other.
Dominic
Would you hire me? (Video/Demo Reel)
Collapse
X
-
watching the black guy singing, it really struck me as something you'd see professionally made on TV like a commercial or MTV clip or something. Same with the garage/motor stuff.. Tossing some random stills and playing with focus shots.. I assume that is what they are looking for. The drift thing was fun but that's just an in-car cam, I think I mostly just wanted to see this guy drive some more. If you had another view or two to spice it up and make it more like your typical car commercial that might appeal to them as well. I guess I basically agree with Graves. The stuff with the girls seemed a little bit less polished. I don't know shit about these aspects or their ratios.Leave a comment:
-
Just came across this.
I know it's animation, but my eyes were wide open through the whole clip.
Leave a comment:
-
For a demo reel I am not sure what you are trying to pitch.
Maybe if you have a demo reel specifically for your cinematography, or editing, or directing. Not sure if it works that way, but I sort of felt like I was watching a 'catch-all' clip. How do I know some of the amazing shots in there were just from a short film you edited but had no part in directing.
As mentioned, some of the clips were awesome, others were weak. And overall I think you need to throw out some of the weaker scenes.Leave a comment:
-
i dont know anything about this shit, but i can honestly say i enjoyed watching it, and the music was great.
I felt like i was watching deleted scenes from the big lebowski.Leave a comment:
-
George, I genuinely appreciate the advice, its hard to come by these days. I guess the next step is to sit down and figure out this aspect ratio business. Looks like a new demo reel is now in the works haha.Demo reels aren't a story.
And I wouldn't hire you until you learned how to get your aspect ratios right.
I'd pull some of the weaker shots, and put some of the better stuff up front. Alot of the shots with the chicks in it don't look very good. Too little depth of field or something. Your reel is only going to be as good as your worst shots. Yank em. If a shot is marginal, use less of it. That shot dolly-ing into the garage was amazing, but ended early. I could watch the rapper guy for longer - that's awesome. Throw in some quick cuts. The cop firing the gun, I can't see the gun, so it looks like he's jerking off. Yank it. The drifting was visually cool. Throw in some quick cuts of that rather than one shot. The girl getting hit, you should use less of the head of that shot. See if you can't spice up the intro title(too long), and shorten it up.
Other wise a really good first step. Your music choice is great too.
As a sidenote, besides apparently looking like the Hoff and making badass electronic parts, what do you do? If you don't mind me asking.
George is now my favorite person on r3v... I'm glad you liked that shot, it's my favorite tooLeave a comment:
-
^Listen to this guy, seriously. Especially on the garage shot, seriously let down that one was short. I was hoping for one of those epic 20-30 second continous shots.Leave a comment:
-
Demo reels aren't a story.
And I wouldn't hire you until you learned how to get your aspect ratios right.
I'd pull some of the weaker shots, and put some of the better stuff up front. Alot of the shots with the chicks in it don't look very good. Too little depth of field or something. Your reel is only going to be as good as your worst shots. Yank em. If a shot is marginal, use less of it. That shot dolly-ing into the garage was amazing, but ended early. I could watch the rapper guy for longer - that's awesome. Throw in some quick cuts. The cop firing the gun, I can't see the gun, so it looks like he's jerking off. Yank it. The drifting was visually cool. Throw in some quick cuts of that rather than one shot. The girl getting hit, you should use less of the head of that shot. See if you can't spice up the intro title(too long), and shorten it up.
Other wise a really good first step. Your music choice is great too.Last edited by george graves; 12-11-2010, 02:43 PM.Leave a comment:
-
-
nce dift. i thought it was a e36 interior at first...then i was like nahhhhh s13. great jobLeave a comment:
-
Can you elaborate on the story arc? How would I do this in the context of a demo reel?
I was joking about the porn, but those pink bike vids are pretty stellar. Thanks for the advice.If found some entertainment value there. Heck, I'll go so far to say that if you had a longer piece, I would watch that too. The internet is not a nice place and this particular one is not known for being exceptionally warm and fuzzy. Odd as it may sound PinkBike has some stellar video guys out there. Bike videos are harder that porn to shoot if you ask me. Tits are always better than bikes. You could learn from them hopefully something that could lead to a job.
Thanks, my videography skills still need quite a bit of work. I'm hoping to get an editing job if anything....but I still want to improve on my shooting skills.Leave a comment:
-
About 1/4 of the shots looks really good. The rest were kinda schmeaaa.Leave a comment:
-
If found some entertainment value there. Heck, I'll go so far to say that if you had a longer piece, I would watch that too. The internet is not a nice place and this particular one is not known for being exceptionally warm and fuzzy. Odd as it may sound PinkBike has some stellar video guys out there. Bike videos are harder that porn to shoot if you ask me. Tits are always better than bikes. You could learn from them hopefully something that could lead to a job.Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: