Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
    I want to do rig shots so bad...
    If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil1138 View Post

Thanks. I guess the first question would be where is a good place to get a cheap (but sturdy) rig.

nom nom
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Hey dinan does your 70-200 2.8 have more play in the mount between the body and the lens than other lenses? When I say play I mean as if you go to unlock it but don't push the lock button. I've been leaning on my camera with the monopod and I'm paranoid that I've been putting to much wait on the body. And maybe loosened it up.

Comment

Baring Falls

And a little blacky munching on something

Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-03-2011, 10:44 PM.
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by Neil1138 View Post

That shot you posted was awesome! You just drove around for let's say, 15-20sec, and then parked the car for the remaining time. Right?

I am just about to build a rig to do these types of shots. How much did that set up run you, and were did you get the parts from? Thanks
            sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              Baring Falls

And a little blacky munching on something

I like that top one. good job

Comment

Originally posted by cabriodster87
                "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
                Originally posted by Kershaw
                i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

Transaction Feedback!

Comment

I like that first pic Halston, how did you get your msm sticker on there?
                    Originally posted by blunttech
                    Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                    :shock:

Comment

Magic... and the photoshop ;)

Comment

Just started taking photography classes :)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
                          Thanks. I guess the first question would be where is a good place to get a cheap (but sturdy) rig.
                          nom nom
                          Unfortunately with rigs, you really can't cheap out if you want a sturdy one. The starter option many people go with is some length of 1-1.5" EMT and then buying glass suction clamps. I would advise against this. It's not very sturdy and the results are sub-par.

I would recommend the following setup for a beginner. It's a great base to expand on (you can make it a $1000 rig if you want):

12-14' of 2" OD Aluminum tubing. Cut into sections, however many you want.
                          Either threaded couplers (will need to thread boom tubing) or inner couplers made of a smaller OD tubing.
                          2x - Avenger F1000 suction cups
                          3x - Manfrotto Super clamps
                          A ball head of your choice. I would recommend getting a smaller one

A guy on POTN sells pre-made booms that are ready to go. I would recommend him (though the same boom can be made for $120 if you DIY). I made my own rig but I've seen the photos his boom makes and they are pretty good (if you don't want to DIY).

Originally posted by pantelones View Post
                          That shot you posted was awesome! You just drove around for let's say, 15-20sec, and then parked the car for the remaining time. Right?

I am just about to build a rig to do these types of shots. How much did that set up run you, and were did you get the parts from? Thanks
                          That shot is one of my 30s rig shots. So we triggered the shutter, hopped in the car and started driving for 30s.

Here's my rig setup mounted on my e46: kinda ludicrous and I love it.

Rigs start out around $250 but they can climb to $5000 if you wanted (carbon fiber main booms). My rig right now sits around $1000, actually a little less. It started out as a $250 rig (described above) but I've added and added components to it over the year.

The boom itself and all of the little rigging pieces can be bought locally. Everything else, from B&H Photo/Amazon.

Comment

Could you put up a picture of your coupling of your sections? I'm running a single 2.6m (i think!) aluminium pole at the moment and i'd like a bit more length tbh. Support wires will probably be my next addition to mine (5dmk2 on the end of a pole - a lot of flex :( )

Comment

I wish someone would make a video of editing the poles out of the pic

Comment

Working...
                              X