buying advice: 1995 540 i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying advice: 1995 540 i

Hi everyone. I am considering getting another BMW. I came across a very nice 1995 540i with 92,000 miles.

Does anyone here own one of these? Im assuming this is a 4000cc V8.

What are known issues with these?

valley pan gasket.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

What is that?

Comment

Search this place, before buying one.
        Good Luck

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
        Danny

88 ///M3 - Zinno street/shop queen
        88 ///M3 - Henna Track rat (Sold)
        98 ///M3 hellrot - Sold
        89 Porsche 944 - dd
        95 E34 525it/pick up - P/U Project
        90 325is - track rat

Comment

Nikasil

Comment

Upper timing case cover leaks. Seat twist.
            Recent Rebranding!!
            Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
            Instagram.com/garageaholic
            Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I fixed the seat twist in my E34 in half an hour with basic tools and a cigarette lighter.

How are the door panels on that E34? I understand they used better glue on the later cars.

EDIT: the E34 suspension is WAY more complex than an E30, and all of it seems to wear out pretty much at the same time. Ball joints, thrust arms, subframe bushings, sway bar end links and mounts...and the beloved "dog bones" all are failure prone
              Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 03-07-2011, 11:50 AM.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

But it's also super-easy to replace all of those suspension components. In my experience, even easier than on an e30.

Comment

1995 BMW's are trouble because that's when they switched over designs

Comment

Originally posted by CamuTao View Post
                    Only trouble if you are too stupid to identify differences / print a buyers guide.
                    Jah bless! :pimp:

Comment

Originally posted by CamuTao View Post
                      au contraire. End-of-cycle cars are typically the best of the run, at least from a quality standpoint, as the factory has tried to come up with fixes for all of the glaring faults, and would have also had warranty fixes at a later date than other cars, so have a further probability of having factory issues worked out.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Watch for Nikasil vs. Alusil engine as mentioned above. Look for rust in the usual areas. The M60 V8 is a lot of fun when it's running well!

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                          But it's also super-easy to replace all of those suspension components. In my experience, even easier than on an e30.
                          I did a subframe bushing in half an hour, so yeah, I agree.

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

LAdy who owns one said when she bought hers, there are 2 types of 540is, and the one has transmission leak problems. You have to tell by serial number

Comment

Little basic shit that goes wrong on a car thats 16 years old.Biggest is the valley plate i agree(have to remove the intake off to get to it)and 95 is the last year for the e34 5 series line and then started up again in 97 with the e39 5 series.
                              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Working...
                              X