Clear All

Look what i made..

Cardboard Iphone4 cover:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1iphone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	7221417

Im a 4th year industrial design student doing my honours in transport design. For my final year project i am designing a light weight motorcycle that draws inspiration from 1950s cafe racer culture.. well, thats the simplified brief haha
    Anyway, This is something thats been on my mind for a few days, and finally found the "spare time" to make haha

It's laser cut and etched out of 1.75mm box card and fits like a glove. I'm still working out some assembly issues but I think ive come up with a much simpler way to make them and still be able to take the phone in and out.
    The design above is only a prototype and has some issues atm.

I was very surprised to see nothing like this exists after some searching on google.. If anyone is interested, These will be available for sale when i finalise the design :up:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2iphone.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	7221416

Anyone else work on little projects like this on the side? I know there a few ID students on r3v, Im sure i'm not alone :p

R.H.D
    M-technic I club

Nice. Is water / icecream proof? :p
    Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

That's are pretty sweet! I love that the ability to do "advanced tinkering" in ones field is not lost. By that I mean that you are a student, but have found access to some pretty awesome machinery to make possible "modern" ID concepts.

I'm working on something only vaguely similar, in that it has to do with an iPhone (and E30s). But since I'm in software, my tinkering ability is hardly hindered by advances in technique, precision, or expensive machines :)
      -------------------------------------------------
      1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
      2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

i'd buy one if its $20 or less. shipped.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

very cool. may be interested in one
          95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
          Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
          LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

if i had an iphone I'd buy it.

Comment

Ive seen cardboard covers for the older iphones (1st one, 3g and 3gs). Ill pull up a link when im on my laptop later. Cool nonetheless.

Edit: the 3g "recession case"

After searching google it was the Case-Mate Recession Case for $0.99.
              Last edited by jw 325ic; 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Make an insert that docks an Ipod in an E30 ashtray, please.

Not from cardboard unless necessary, IMO.

Luke.

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

very very nice

PM syncro325is or i will lead him toward this thread, he is Graduating tomorrow with a BS in ID

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

Thats pretty freaking awesome :D. I'd definitely buy one if I had an iphone..
                    Tim.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back everyone!

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
                      Ive seen cardboard covers for the older iphones (1st one, 3g and 3gs). Ill pull up a link when im on my laptop later. Cool nonetheless.

Edit: the 3g "recession case"

After searching google it was the Case-Mate Recession Case for $0.99.
                      Cheers for the heads up, Yes I did come across that "design" haha. I guess I should have elaborated in my op. I should have said I havent seen anything in the cardboard phone case department with a well refined design that doesn't look like it was cut out of a pizza box with a steak knife.

Ok ok, so I can't compete with 99c... but like they say; you get what you pay for.. Anyway why waste 99c?? You could wrap your phone in a dozen paper lunch bags for less than that and it'd still look just as good!
                      Last edited by JamesE30; 05-18-2011, 03:49 PM.

R.H.D
                      M-technic I club

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                        Make an insert that docks an Ipod in an E30 ashtray, please.

Not from cardboard unless necessary, IMO.

Luke.
                        Already made. SPecdock.com
                        Get in touch with Matt.
                        Yours truly,
                        Rich
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Rigmaster
                        you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Looks pretty sweet
                          Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                          Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

I like This! Industrial Design Rocks!
                            www.motoringspirit.com
                            Motoring Street Culture Couture. Street wear for enthusiasts.

Comment

I've wanted to go into mechanical engineering for the longest time but more recently I've been considering industrial design. Can you guys tell me more about it? Do you do anything more than design everyday things? That's all my school counselor said.
                              Dean
                              Instagram
                              1987 325isA
                              1987 325i - 383k

Comment

Working...
                              X