7 Day Hang Gliding Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 Day Hang Gliding Race

Thought you guys might like to check out a recent hang gliding comp I did. It was called the Flytec Race and Rally. The premise is similar to road bike stage race. Each day a task or route is called to the finish or goal, any where from 40 to 120 miles (we operate in kilometers for FAI scoring). Everyone tows up behind a specially built ultralight and hangs out in an imaginary start circle until the start clock or start time. Once the time hits, the race is on. You fly wingtip to wingtip at full speed until the next thermal. Then everyone climbs as fast as they can until the next glide. You race along the course and the fastest person to goal wins. If you land out and don't make goal you get distance points. The most points at the end of the week wins the comp. We started outside of Orlando, FL and ended up in Aiken, SC.

Racing hang gliders is not an easy task, in fact I had never even made goal until this comp. This race had some of the world's best pilots including the world champion.

The full story is on my blog Here. Click the Flytec Race and Rally Label in the label cloud. Here's the cliffs:

Practice Day - 2nd flight of the year. Tuned my glider and brushed the rust off. Blissful sunset flight. Buzzed a tall ass tree on my landing.

Vid:

Day 1 - 148km task in a headwind to the north. Slow going fighting the headwind. Flew 48km in a time of 3:28. Landed in a turtle refuge!

Day 2 - 114km task north, still slight headwind. Made it much farther. Landed 37km short. Flight time 4:28.

Day 3 - 119km task northwest to Americus, GA. Made goal for the first time! Took me 5 hours!

Day 4 - Minor accident cancelled the day. Free flew in the evening. Explored a crop duster graveyard.

Day 5 - 194km task east to outrun a cold front. Epic day. Made goal again and doubled my personal distance record at 120 miles! Airtime 5:14.

Day 6 - 135km task northeast to avoid weather and airspace. Got off the ground late. Flew alone for most of the day. Got about halfway across a huge swamp with no area to land and had to turn back when I couldn't find lift. Landed at the last postage stamp of a field. Friendly land owner, thank god! Flew 107km in 3:15.

Vid of first climb to cloudbase.

In total I flew 340 miles in 25 hours and 43 minutes.

JOY IS AN E30...

Fucking awesome, Alex!
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Serious balls here. Nice shots!

Comment

That is so fucking cool!

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
        '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
        '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
        '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

That's awesome. Something i want to do before i die for sure.
          Looking for a 3.46 or lower LSD. Lets make a deal.
          LSx e36TI coming soon
          Originally posted by s0urce
          Man, she'd be so easy to rape

Comment

That take off looks so sketchy, getting pulled behind the plane. I could see someone eating shit really easy. Thats bad ass though.

Comment

dude, you're a beast. awesome.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

this is some seriously cool shit

love the song in the both videos, what were they?

what does something like this run you? like cost of glider, registration etc? also what kind of training, cost etc? def want to look into this someday for sure

Comment

You are so bad ass.
                  From The Land Of Sky Blue Waters.

Originally posted by lambo
                  Fuck studying. Party hard.

Comment

That is seriously awesome.
                    sigpic

Comment

Seriously cool stuff. The songs and the vids together instantly made me think of the N64 game Pilot Wings;
                      <---Goodnight, sweet prince

Eat well, stay fit, die anyway.

Originally posted by Brandon12V
                      unlikely. too many e46 guys craving Big Fucking Cock

Comment

Originally posted by Downz View Post
                        what does something like this run you? like cost of glider, registration etc? also what kind of training, cost etc? def want to look into this someday for sure
                        This

How do you get started?

Comment

Those are pretty amazing distances - way to go!

I would love to get in to this some day - something tells me its not cheap.

Comment

the life, you are living it. i dig the music, it makes the whole experience look so relaxed and free (which, if i was doing it, would not be the case!)

Comment

That is so bad ass i dont know where to begin.
                              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X