No announcement yet.

7 Day Hang Gliding Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. It is such a raw, pure form of flight - like the stuff you dream of as a kid when you dream about flying. Flying through cloud canyons, wind in your face, etc. Paragliding is more popular because of the logistics, etc, but it just isn't the same as flying a wing. I'm stoked to share it.

Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
    That take off looks so sketchy, getting pulled behind the plane. I could see someone eating shit really easy. Thats bad ass though.
    Aerotowing sketched me out at first because I learned by foot launching. If done correctly it's totally safe. There is a weak link built into each end of the line that breaks if you get too far off center behind the plane. I fly with double releases so I can release with each hand. Once you get up 100 feet off the ground it feels just like water skiing in the air!

Originally posted by Downz View Post
    this is some seriously cool shit

love the song in the both videos, what were they?

what does something like this run you? like cost of glider, registration etc? also what kind of training, cost etc? def want to look into this someday for sure
    Originally posted by A Sucked Orange View Post
    Those are pretty amazing distances - way to go!

I would love to get in to this some day - something tells me its not cheap.
    Both songs were from a group called Phontaine. Their stuff really fits well with a lot of hang gliding footage.

You learn through an instructor just like fixed wing flying and get ratings from USHPA. Most instructors provide the equipment so you don't have to worry about buying anything at first. They usually provide packages that get you through your ratings in as much time as you need. The local guy in CO does so for about $2000 for everything.

A comp set up isn't cheap, but a basic glider that you could enjoy every day is pretty cheap. You can get a good intermediate glider new for $3500 and good used one for less than half of that. I paid $600 for my first glider and harness used, plus another $400 for a reserve chute (got that new). I bought a glider last year for $400 that I enjoy every bit as much as my comp glider. It can be done safely on the cheap for sure.

Once you've got your equipment and ratings all you pay is gas money to drive to launch or tow fees if you live in the flats!

I would be happy to help anyone get into the sport. The best place to start is to buy the Hang Gliding Training Manual by Dennis Pagen and start reading.

Originally posted by CreamE30 View Post
    Seriously cool stuff. The songs and the vids together instantly made me think of the N64 game Pilot Wings;
    So true. I think the Super Nintendo Pilot Wings had a hang glider.
    JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Thats awesome man, what cable do you keep messing with on your right hand?
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

The cable on the right is called the VG for variable geometry. It changes the geometry of the wing very slightly similar to an F-14's wings. It's kind of like my gear shift knob. You want it all the way off for thermalling then all the way on (full rope) for gliding.

The amount of energy the glider will retain at speed and full VG is amazing. I've seen a guy glide an entire football field in ground effect climb up and turn 180 degrees then glide the full length again in the opposite direction.
        JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Working...
        X