No announcement yet.

Do you <3 electric cars ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They forgot the cooling system, the wires, etc.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
    Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

If/when they figure out a much better way to store electricity, petroleum fuel cars will become a thing of the past. Gas vehicles still have their place in racing, amongst hobbiest and collectors, but not for the masses.

I love most everything about cars, but its undeniable the overcomplexity and ineffeciency of gas versus electric. I'd have an electric car for my weekly commute, then my e30/v8/whatever for the weekend and track.

If battery storage is not improved GREATLY, then electric cars will be the ones stuck in the margins. Until we run out of oil that is.

Comment

Don't care how good electric cars get, I'll still be driving lightweight, 80's RWD's.

M20 <3

Comment

I love electric vehicles. As long as I don't have to drive them. As Leno said in the episodee of Top Gear, they save the gas for real enthusiasts. Though honestly, is electricity that "clean"?
          Hydrogen is the way, just needs to become cheaper to produce/ store.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Hydroelectric, wind turbines, solar power. It doesn't get any cleaner than that.
            There will always be methods, clean methods, of producing electricity. For most regions coal is the most common method of producing electricity and is obviously very dirty, but at least it is a centralized pollution source which can be controlled much easier than millions of micro pollution sources (car engines).

Electricity is infinitely renewable.

Comment

As is Hydrogen when the technology becomes less expensive and more marketable, as all new technology does. It also keeps the spirit of IC engines alive.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                My understanding of it is that it has a very low power density, or in other words it requires a very large tank to produce comparable driving range in comparison with a gasoline vehicle. Have you heard anything of the sort?

I'd also be down with a car running a Stark Industries Arc Reactor.

It is nice to know that electricity is infinitely "renewable". There are so many ways to produce it.
                This is why you or I arent going to see electric cars for a very long time.

You cant make a profit out of a limitless energy source. And the world today is all about the bottom line.

The people who have the money and power to really jumpstart electric cars either own oil companies, are bribed by oil companies or are influenced by oil companies.

For reference: If just 1/100th of a single percent of the total land area on earth was covered with solar panels, we would need no other form of energy to power our lives. And the energy is limitless, and will not go away until the sun burns out.
                My previous build (currently E30-less)
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Helium 3 power is the only way to go.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                    This is why you or I arent going to see electric cars for a very long time.

You cant make a profit out of a limitless energy source. And the world today is all about the bottom line.

The people who have the money and power to really jumpstart electric cars either own oil companies, are bribed by oil companies or are influenced by oil companies.

For reference: If just 1/100th of a single percent of the total land area on earth was covered with solar panels, we would need no other form of energy to power our lives. And the energy is limitless, and will not go away until the sun burns out.
                    You're forgetting about the epic proportions of batteries that would be needed to store all that energy for when the sun goes behind a cloud, or night time happens. Other options include hollowing out mountains to store pumped water for night use, but that's not very green either, is it?

Originally posted by Sagaris View Post
                    Hydroelectric, wind turbines, solar power. It doesn't get any cleaner than that.
                    There will always be methods, clean methods, of producing electricity. For most regions coal is the most common method of producing electricity and is obviously very dirty, but at least it is a centralized pollution source which can be controlled much easier than millions of micro pollution sources (car engines).

Electricity is infinitely renewable.
                    Electricity is not an energy source, so it can't be "renewable".
                    I don't know how much you know about solar panels, but the process of making them isn't exactly "green".

Originally posted by cale View Post
                    Gas ftl, it's incredibly inefficient and if more people were willing to change instead of this attitude greener vehicles could be a reality. I like my e30 too, but I'd like it a hell of a lot more if I didn't have to burn through so much gas with it.
                    People will be willing to change when:
                    A. it becomes prohibitively expensive to drive something running on gas
                    B. electric vehicles have a range of 200+ miles and can be recharged in 5 minutes

What happens when AAA needs to bring you your 5 gallons "i am an idiot and ran out of energy" of gas on the side of the road when you run out? you're not going to get a tow truck operator to sit there with a 10 horse generator for two hours unless they bill you an absolute fortune.

Comment

I like this electric car...

Comment

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
                        You're forgetting about the epic proportions of batteries that would be needed to store all that energy for when the sun goes behind a cloud, or night time happens. Other options include hollowing out mountains to store pumped water for night use, but that's not very green either, is it?

Electricity is not an energy source, so it can't be "renewable".
                        I don't know how much you know about solar panels, but the process of making them isn't exactly "green".
                        You must be forgetting about the numerous other ways to create power, without the use of fossil fuels. Wind, water, tidal just to name a few. And they are not dependant on whether the sun is shining on your face. We are not even going to mention Geothermal energy, which is another form of energy that would be available 24/7 and is 100% pollutant free.

And I am sure most would agree that they would be willing to take a major hit in the beginning to cease 99% of the rest of the polution in the future.
                        My previous build (currently E30-less)
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

^

HAHAHAHAHAH

Ahhh to have the blind idealism and blissful ignorance of youth again.
                          Originally posted by Fusion
                          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                          William Pitt-

Comment

I do like the idea of 100% of my torque available at 0 RPM.

And as far as the blowing up thing, hydrogen is damn near inflammable when compressed. You need the correct air/fuel mixture (just like gasoline) for it to be burnable.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                              You must be forgetting about the numerous other ways to create power, without the use of fossil fuels. Wind, water, tidal just to name a few. And they are not dependant on whether the sun is shining on your face. We are not even going to mention Geothermal energy, which is another form of energy that would be available 24/7 and is 100% pollutant free.

And I am sure most would agree that they would be willing to take a major hit in the beginning to cease 99% of the rest of the pollution in the future.
                              Hold the phone boss. 100% polutant free. Well damn. I guess NASA must be smoking when they say that "The magnetic field of Earth is caused by currents of electricity that flow in the molten core." Wonder what happens if we cool that down to use the heat for a few millennia...

I'd put that on the list of 100% non-renewable energy. Unless when you turn on the A/C it puts the heat back, in which case, get to it son.

Comment

Working...
                              X