Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 concept bike build, my Honours year Industrial Design project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JamesE30
    replied
    So the bike gets clayed back up again and I can start shaping my desired form.
    Balancing the top so I can get a better idea of top 3/4 view.

Back in the right direction
    *kneedraon, notice cut outs on the top tube for forearm clearance/comfort when hanging off the side :P

Checking/fixing highlights

Leave a comment:

• JamesE30
    replied
    Ok some of these pics now are from just before that black and white one above.

Well this happened a couple of times which was heaps of fun..

As I said earlier a I am having the clay digitally scanned on thursday so I want one side of the model finished (as much as possible) by then. So I wanted to try blocking in some other shapes on the bike before I pick by final design and start refining/ finishing surfaces.

This is where shit gets ****ed up haha *note to self* when its 5 in the morning and your running on no sleep and a case of redbull, put down the knife! haha

*Warning* you may want to cover your eyes!

So with that nonsense out of the way I was now even more confident in my chosen direction.

Leave a comment:

• CabrioPunk
    replied
    Spell check.

Interesting designs.

Leave a comment:

• JamesE30
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AbsorbantNut
    replied
    This thing is so AWESOME! Great work James, can't wait to see the next updates!

Leave a comment:

• JamesE30
    replied
    Heres a pic for the sake of uploading a pic!

Leave a comment:

• JamesE30
    replied
    Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
    That's really interesting, should of guessed Holden would have something there.

I studied Auto Design specifically, the highlight of which was spending some time at Pininfarina. Right now I'm back at school studying Mechanical Engineering to balance out the design background.

Do your resume/portfolio handy?

Really nice updates by the way, the extension of the seat cowling made a big difference! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bike.
    Thanks man! Pininfarina, wow that would have been pretty amazing. I don't actually have an up to date folio at the moment. Im working on a new one now for the end of the year, I'll send you a copy as it develops if you don't mind sharing some feedback. Cheers mate

Here's a shot from 2 minutes ago. Trying to make the design a little more dynamic and less generic. Geting the top piece working in synergy with the rest of the design. It was a little too segregated before, especially from top/rear view. Just trying different things..

Should be here working on it for the next 6-7hrs. Getting cloud scanned on thursday next week so need at least one side done by then!

Leave a comment:

• SkiFree
    replied
    Originally posted by JamesE30 View Post
    Holden (GM) actually has a very impressive clay modelling studio here in melbourne, as does ford. Our uni has connections with GM, and I know several industry people who have been very helpful with my project so far, but you guessed it, there are very few jobs available each year, possibly only 1 if any. Really just depends on what's available and how well my work competes against other job seekers.

Several Grads of Monash have gone to work overseas, One of my friends has landed a job in California clay modelling for VW, and another for Opel in Germany. I'd love to work overseas (part of the reason I'm perusing clay modelling), just depends what's out there for me.

What discipline of design did you study? Are you working in industry now?
    Cheers

That's really interesting, should of guessed Holden would have something there.

I studied Auto Design specifically, the highlight of which was spending some time at Pininfarina. Right now I'm back at school studying Mechanical Engineering to balance out the design background.

Do your resume/portfolio handy?

Really nice updates by the way, the extension of the seat cowling made a big difference! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished bike.

Leave a comment:

• elemenohpee
    replied
    You're making me wish I majored in industrial design instead of graphic design. This project is awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Raxe
    replied
    This is wicked cool, thanks for sharing with us!

Leave a comment:

• JamesE30
    replied
    Lengthened wheel base and extended the seat cowling to lengthen the bike visually and help with proportions

Also clayed in the chin spoiler. Adding to the dynamic of the bike by pulling the lower graphic forwards

Trying different things with the seat/cowling to make it less on an eye saw

Leave a comment:

• JamesE30
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ethirtydavid
    replied
    got my attention, look forward to more progress

Leave a comment:

• DTM190
    replied
    Awesome James, it is looking fantastic!!!

Leave a comment:

• Vedubin01
    replied
    what an awesome project! Thank you for sharing!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X