Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 concept bike build, my Honours year Industrial Design project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome stuff going on here!

Comment

First off amazing project! and I love #3. Also what are the wheels on your e30? I honestly forgot them.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Nice slides, looks like a cool project! Love the sketches.

In your "agility, simplicity, efficiency" slide, you spelled discrete wrong (unless you meant to say 'discreat').

Edit: Typos everywhere....Sorry, I'm a tech writer by trade :)
        Last edited by andyman2487; 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Looks pretty good, nice to see a fellow design student here! Where are you hoping to find work as a modeler? Can't imagine there would be a job market for that in Australia, maybe move to detroit, northern italy, germany, etc.?

I studied at I.E.D. Turin. best of luck with your project!
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Looks great mate :D Can't wait to see the final product! What program are you using for the portfolio? Good luck with it all bud!
            Tim.

Comment

That looks pretty sick, and Monash is a pretty good school.
              Originally posted by blunttech
              Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
              :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by 55fanatic View Post
                got linked over here from yuppieracing.net looks like a cool project so far!
                Thanks! Wow this must have been linked quickly haha, good to have the publicity!

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                First off amazing project! and I love #3. Also what are the wheels on your e30? I honestly forgot them.
                Cheers mate, they are Simmons V4's

Originally posted by andyman2487 View Post
                Nice slides, looks like a cool project! Love the sketches.

In your "agility, simplicity, efficiency" slide, you spelled discrete wrong (unless you meant to say 'discreat').

Edit: Typos everywhere....Sorry, I'm a tech writer by trade :)
                Haha Yeah my spelling is actually atrocious, i should have a disclaimer before everything a write! Plus I'm sure most of those slides were 5am jobs haha

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                Looks pretty good, nice to see a fellow design student here! Where are you hoping to find work as a modeler? Can't imagine there would be a job market for that in Australia, maybe move to detroit, northern italy, germany, etc.?

I studied at I.E.D. Turin. best of luck with your project!
                Holden (GM) actually has a very impressive clay modelling studio here in melbourne, as does ford. Our uni has connections with GM, and I know several industry people who have been very helpful with my project so far, but you guessed it, there are very few jobs available each year, possibly only 1 if any. Really just depends on what's available and how well my work competes against other job seekers.

Several Grads of Monash have gone to work overseas, One of my friends has landed a job in California clay modelling for VW, and another for Opel in Germany. I'd love to work overseas (part of the reason I'm perusing clay modelling), just depends what's out there for me.

What discipline of design did you study? Are you working in industry now?
                Cheers

Originally posted by tg318is View Post
                Looks great mate :D Can't wait to see the final product! What program are you using for the portfolio? Good luck with it all bud!
                Thanks alot mate!
                I'll use Adobe In design, Though I haven't started compiling my final CJ yet. Most of the slides posted so far are just photoshop.

Originally posted by Shangsta View Post
                That looks pretty sick, and Monash is a pretty good school.
                Thanks! Are you very familiar with Monash? I'm curious how well known it is overseas, I assume most outside Australia would have not heard of it

**EDIT

Just uploaded some more images to the 1st post!
                Last edited by JamesE30; 08-17-2011, 10:58 AM.

R.H.D
                M-technic I club

Comment

Did you get my PM?
                  Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                  Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                  One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

^:up: UPDATE: Clay Modelling

So during the mid year break, after a bit of a rest and a few hangovers.. I kept sketching and sketching and began to refine my design. I haven't scanned in any of these sketches so I'll try and upload them at some stage. But basically I headed in a slightly different direction...

So since Im doing a full size clay, I needed to get started early so even though it wasn't even the first week of semester yet, I had started building my workbench and began a full size tape drawing. Tape drawings are a great technique to lay down accurate lines and gain a real life perspective on a design and assess the proportions. Since the drawing is over the top of an Alias CAD package I know my wheelbase and dimensions accurate.

So I had my workbench and my tape drawing, with a rough Idea of what I wanted to make. So now it was time to make the armature.

The armature is basically the core of the clay model and needs to be strong and ridged enough to withstand 10's of kilos of clay, and potentially hundreds of hours of pushing/pulling/cutting/scraping..

You need to decide how accurate to build your armature depending on how much you plan to develop a design. For example In industry They will mill an armature out of foam to allow only 40-50mm of clay on a full size model since the design is so refined, on a scale model it may even be less.

Since I planned to change my design a lot during the modelling process I need as much room for changes as possible. Because there are several quite thin sections The armature would be tricky to nail 1st time. In fact its guarantied I will hit foam during the modelling. Just part of the fun! haha

The Core would be two 16mm MDF sheets jigsaw cut to the dimensions on my tape drawing, allowing for as much clay as possible in some areas

Gluing the sheets together

Laying out foam blocks to build up the volume

Mounted true to the centre of the desk and braced on both sides

Shaping the foam, again using the tape drawing for reference.

and the finished armature ready for clay!
                    The work bench is made from 90x70mm pine with a 16mm MDf top sheet with three braces underneath, it's on locking castors since it will be moved around a lot.

R.H.D
                    M-technic I club

Comment

Claying up is a time consuming process and doing it right the first time will save you hassle later. Laying on slabs of clay that is not heated or applied properly will cause air bubbles and weak spots in he model which can be a huge problem when you are slicking down your final surface.

First few layers of clay

At this stage as the model was filling out, I decided to re mount the armature with a little less rake. Lowering the seat a little and providing a bit more room for the forks and bars

Sitting further back

more clay

First attack on the surfaces!

R.H.D
                      M-technic I club

Comment

This is badass, can't wait to see it done.
                        '89 335is +turbo

Comment

Very nice work man.

Originally posted by Roysneon
                          $5 shipped?
                          Originally posted by MarkD
                          You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

Amazing! What will you use for the mock engine?

Comment

very good work!

Comment

Solid! Great work mate!
                                Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X