Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying textbooks for College-Tricks and Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying textbooks for College-Tricks and Tips?

Basically as the title states: does anyone have any secret tricks or tips on getting the cheapest textbooks? Best websites? Coupons? Codes? Anything?

I just spend $250 on a single business textbook because my Professor has a current contract with the publisher of this textbook, thus obligating him to use their textbook in general classroom lecture.

So that's really all I was curious about. Who knows the best places/websites for college textbooks or hell, even eBooks?
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

half.com and amazon were my friends through college.
    No more e30s for me.
    88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
    88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
    91 BMW 325i [sold]
    86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Sucks I know.
      I try to photocopy as much as I can from library books when need be.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

how shady do you want to go? the bookstore on my campus doesn't stamp in-coming books so you could theoretically buy the books, come back with your receipt, then grab all the same books off the shelf and "return" them.
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          how shady do you want to go? the bookstore on my campus doesn't stamp in-coming books so you could theoretically buy the books, come back with your receipt, then grab all the same books off the shelf and "return" them.

My college has cops everywhere with guns and they look to be itching to shoot some college students. I don't steal anymore, at least I try not to.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
            My college has cops everywhere with guns and they look to be itching to shoot some college students. I don't steal anymore, at least I try not to.

that's good though, seriously.
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Chegg. I've never paid over $100 a book. They're rentals, but worth it IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                Sucks I know.
                I try to photocopy as much as I can from library books when need be.
                Yeah but sometimes you need the physical book in front of you to doodle in and mark it up properly. It can potentially be the difference between a B and an A.

I use Chegg.com a lot as well.
                sigpic

Comment

Find people who took the class before and acquire their books either through manipulation or a monetary transaction.

Comment

Look no further...

Bestbookbuys.com

Searches amazon, half.com, etc for the best deals. Just put in the ISBN number, verify the edition and you're set.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

amazon.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Half.com. Some of the books I have bought have been international edition but its the same material just different cover. I spent about $60 on 2 books over paying about $250 for them at the bookstore.

Comment

I had textbooks that were supposed to be sold in india for the last year of school. Same exact book as US market, but paperback, and a third of the price. Check amazon for them.

Oh the wife suggested renting them as well, I have no further details on that... Maybe google will lead the way.

Comment

As others said hit up Half.com usually pretty good deals. Also as Pud pointed out the international editions can be pretty good. I only found them for engineering and math classes mostly and only once had an issue where the problems in the book were different. Just ended up getting the problems from a friend or the professor would print them off as not everyone really bought the book. On that note another thing to consider is not always buying the book. Some classes you need it but I had atleast 1 or 2/year that I didn't buy the book for the class as after the first week you figured out that you didn't need it. I always waited to see if it was really needed.

Also remember no matter how much you are paying someone else is probably paying more. I had one grad class on hybrid and EV battery design last semester that had three books that totaled in the range of $500.
                            2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

also remember that some books are useful after you graduate as well so sometimes it makes sense to pay for a good quality book that will last
                              sigpic
                              '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Working...
                              X