Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car is F#$&*(#&$ slow.

My m20 is pissing me off.

I've done almost a fully rebuilt motor, and I'm feeling sluggish as hell. I'm ready to just save my money and throw in an S54.

Should I just turbo my M20 or save for a swap? I love turbos but I feel like an M50 swap would be a better choice with some S52 cams and a few upgrades.

right there with ya buddy...

Originally posted by vlad
    Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

save your money, don't buy that 40 sack ;)

Comment

I rebuilt my ETA motor. 4 months later I ripped it out for an M50 swap, I suspect that'll happen again. It's inevitable.
        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
          save your money, don't buy that 40 sack ;)
          LOL

I want to go S52 swap, but I rather get S54.

Maybe I'll just buy an E46 m3. UGH I hate this so much, I go back and forth every day.

Comment

Keep your e30. Don't be an e46Fag
            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

I'm in a similar boat, kinda want to rebuild my m20 but I don't want to waste time and money if I'm going to eventually swap it.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Coming from someone who has a good amount of swap experiance. The MAIN reason is to go M50 it to have a more reliable, simpler, and more efficient motor, and is worth swapping for just those reasons. I went from an eta to m50 so it was a night and day difference, but thre is definetly a noticable differece from the ride alongs ive had on fully rebuilt m20b25's. S54 and obd2 conversions get expensive fast. If you want cheap power i would go m50/s50. M50 swap is a weekend project if you do your research and have the parts. Its EASILY done for under 1000.

Real power from any of the engines comes from forced induction though. I plan on dropping around 2k for my turbo setup in my already swapped m50.

Or you could be a real driver and appreciate the e30 for the incredible handling ability and balance that it already has haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Jafxod View Post
                  Coming from someone who has a good amount of swap experiance. The MAIN reason is to go M50 it to have a more reliable, simpler, and more efficient motor, and is worth swapping for just those reasons. I went from an eta to m50 so it was a night and day difference, but thre is definetly a noticable differece from the ride alongs ive had on fully rebuilt m20b25's. S54 and obd2 conversions get expensive fast. If you want cheap power i would go m50/s50. M50 swap is a weekend project if you do your research and have the parts. Its EASILY done for under 1000.

Real power from any of the engines comes from forced induction though. I plan on dropping around 2k for my turbo setup in my already swapped m50.

Or you could be a real driver and appreciate the e30 for the incredible handling ability and balance that it already has haha.
                  True, the car does handle very very nicely. I just don't have many places to rip corners around where I live, it's mostly freeway where I want to go super fast. M50 is probably what I'll do with a few upgrades, I feel like it's the best way to go. But then I'll want a turbo LOL. M20 isn't really working out for me to be honest. I could either save up for a new motor or a nice down payment on a newer car that I don't have to worry about as much.

Comment

if u go S54 please let me kno how it goes!...

im gonna boost my M52 soon so u could always go that route ;)
                    sigpic
                    ^Back in the game^
                    BUILD THREAD: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201281
                    FS thread:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214105

Comment

Spence, what do you plan to do about smog if you swap? I'm looking at the same decision...but don't want to deal with smog and the added cost of making it legal. My main motivation is reliability...so is a 100k+ miles M50 going to last longer than an rebuilt M20...dunno
                      sigpic
                      Parts Wanted
                      The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

Originally posted by Suspence View Post
                        True, the car does handle very very nicely. I just don't have many places to rip corners around where I live, it's mostly freeway where I want to go super fast. M50 is probably what I'll do with a few upgrades, I feel like it's the best way to go. But then I'll want a turbo LOL. M20 isn't really working out for me to be honest. I could either save up for a new motor or a nice down payment on a newer car that I don't have to worry about as much.
                        New cars suck. Half the fun of e30s is that you can make them into whatever you want. You know how many other toolbags are running around in stock e46 m3's.

Turbo m20 would be fast, but m20s fucking suck. I wouldnt do that if you need to daily it. Get a nice reliable m50 in there and then piece together a solid turbo setup

Comment

M20 is a troll engine. Timing belts? Problem? No power? Problem?

This is why I bought a M3.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by blocke View Post
                            Spence, what do you plan to do about smog if you swap? I'm looking at the same decision...but don't want to deal with smog and the added cost of making it legal. My main motivation is reliability...so is a 100k+ miles M50 going to last longer than an rebuilt M20...dunno
                            Smogging an m50 is no problem. It's the m52 and s52 you have to worry about as you aren't allowed to convert from obd2 to obd1
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
                            VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

Originally posted by trackjunkie21 View Post
                              Smogging an m50 is no problem. It's the m52 and s52 you have to worry about as you aren't allowed to convert from obd2 to obd1
                              SO...how are they gonna tell what engine it is? Unless you take it to some BMW guru, I doubt Joe Shmlo down the street will know the difference in M50 vs M52, unless he is very observant at year changes correlating to oil fill cap locations.
                              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                              X