Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever "rented" something from a department store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever "rented" something from a department store?

Like bought something you knew you'd use once, or didn't have the money to buy, carefully opened it and used it once. Just to carefully clean and put it all back together and return it saying you didnt need it or w/e? I did once and I wish I didn't (cuz its kinda a shitty thing to do) with a set of crowfoot wrenches when I was working on my neighbor's GMC. But until then and since then I haven't had to use them. I couldnt justify spending 90 bucks on them.
    Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Sure. Fry's Electronics all the time! People used to even reshrink wrap what they had purchased and return it as new. Then Fry's got smart and rip the shrink wrap off to inspect the item and make sure its not a box of rocks. LOL

Comment

This is right up there with "something fell in my bag at the pick-n-pull today!"

Originally posted by Roysneon
      $5 shipped?
      Originally posted by MarkD
      You are a strange dude, I'n not answering any more posts from you.

Comment

^ hahaha.

"I DONT KNOW HOW THAT GOT THERE?!"
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by samiam3356 View Post
          This is right up there with "something fell in my bag at the pick-n-pull today!"
          I asked the guy at my local Pick and Pull about theft and he just said something to the effect that its expected that some people will stuff things in their pockets and they cannot legally search people without cause.

Then he proceeded to tell me to take the 12 or so under hood cover plastic rivets that I was about to pay for without charging me. Free.

Comment

I got stuck away from home once in my Jetta with a broken front motor mount and only a small amount of tools in the trunk. I ended up buying 3 hockey pucks and a bolt and using that as my front mount. Had to buy an electric drill from Ace Hardware though to drill a hole in them. I returned it after I was done as I didn't need a cheap Chinese drill. It was in brand new condition though. I only used it for ~3 minutes.

Still running the hockey pucks over a year later. Actually was one of the best upgrades I've done to the car. lol

As far as Pick-N-Pull goes, I figure I pay $2 to get in, I might as well pocket $2 worth of small parts. Though I only do if I am buying something else. If all I need is some small part, I show it to them rather then take it. They usually give it to me for free anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post

As far as Pick-N-Pull goes, I figure I pay $2 to get in, I might as well pocket $2 worth of small parts. Though I only do if I am buying something else. If all I need is some small part, I show it to them rather then take it. They usually give it to me for free anyway.
              This hahaha

Bahama Beige E23 Project
              Bluebird Bus Conversion
              New Oregon Trail

Comment

My wedding dress

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

"How To" books from Lowes. Try it sometime.

Comment

pick n pull expects some amount of loss, their profit margins are high enough that it doesnt matter....kind of like walmart.

and hockey puck motor mounts are old school tech, surprised more people dont use them :)
                    I can run Auto Checks on VINs for tips/donations:
                    PM me VIN(s) and I'll get you ALL the public recorded info that I have available.
                    paypal as gift to Mike@benzinkrieg.com

Information/Request sticky thread for Vehicle History Reports
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=216119

Comment

Did this once with a 320 GB external hard drive from Best Buy. Returned it 2 days later, this was a few years ago.

About 2 months ago, karma came back around and bit me in the ass when my 2nd HD in my laptop developed the Click-O-Death and I lost all of my music and videos.

Comment

I think I've got the ultimate one here:

I fried my wife's uncles $1500 Pioneer in-dash DVD player trying to fix his sons crappy install into an MR2 (bad ground or something, smoke was pouring out of dash).
                        So I bought the exact item from Crutchfield, took the casing apart and swapped the guts out (casing had serial numbers etched in, etc.). Called them and told them that I received the DVD player, and it looked like a previous return, and that I didn't want it. So they issued me RMA number, I shipped it back. Wham! New dvd player, Uncle never knew what happened.

But it gets better:
                        A week later a family friend gives us a 40 inch Sony Bravia that's got issues. I figure I'll give it a shot fixing it, if I cant no biggie. Well in doing research online, I found out that my particular serial number series had a recall on it due to bad parts. So I call up and do some recon, and they tell me I need original receipt. Well I don't want to ask the family friend, for fear of them taking the TV back and getting it swapped for themselves. So I take the Crutchfield receipt for the DVD player, scan it with OCR, change the PN and info to reflect a Sony Bravia "bought 9 months ago. "

Fax that bitch into Sony, and In 1 week I had a Brand new Bravia on my wall.
                        sigpic
                        Parts Wanted
                        The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

^^ thats winning against the system right there man!

did a similar thing with a buddy

He had a stock LS integra dc2 with black interior, and we found a GSR with suspension, black leather interior and some other basic mods at a stealership. "bought the car" from a friend who worked there, spent sunday stripping everything out (motor included) and replacing it with his old stuff, and then returned in back to the dealership when his financing fell through since his cosigner couldn't make it in. (spot delivery agreement)

our friend who worked there said that no one ever even noticed, it was sold to a wholesaler later that week.

figured if the lot techs and mechanics can strip out cars from the wholesale lot, we can too
                          I can run Auto Checks on VINs for tips/donations:
                          PM me VIN(s) and I'll get you ALL the public recorded info that I have available.
                          paypal as gift to Mike@benzinkrieg.com

Information/Request sticky thread for Vehicle History Reports
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=216119

Comment

karma is gonna rip you^^ a new one
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mercury[BKM] View Post

He had a stock LS integra dc2 with black interior, and we found a GSR with suspension, black leather interior and some other basic mods at a stealership. "bought the car" from a friend who worked there, spent sunday stripping everything out (motor included) and replacing it with his old stuff, and then returned in back to the dealership when his financing fell through since his cosigner couldn't make it in. (spot delivery agreement)

our friend who worked there said that no one ever even noticed, it was sold to a wholesaler later that week.

figured if the lot techs and mechanics can strip out cars from the wholesale lot, we can too
                              That's just straight-up theft. I like how it sounds like you're pretty proud of it, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X