B of A class action law suit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B of A class action law suit.

I posted this over on Bimmer Forums as well.

For those of you thinking of banking with B of A.

MIAMI — A federal judge on Monday gave final approval to a $410 million settlement in a class-action lawsuit affecting more than 13 million Bank of America customers who had debit card overdrafts during the past decade.

Senior U.S. District Judge James Lawrence King said the agreement was fair and reasonable, even though it drew criticism from some customers because they would only receive a fraction of what they paid in overdraft fees. The fees were usually $35 per occurrence.

“It’s really undisputed that this is one of the largest settlements ever in a consumer case,” said Aaron Podhurst, a lead attorney for the customer class.

The settlement became final a week after Charlotte, N.C.-based Bank of America backed off a plan to charge a $5 monthly fee for debit-card purchases. The outcry prompted other major banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co., to cancel trial tests of their own debit card fees.

Bank attorney Laurence Hutt said 13.2 million Bank of America customers who had debit cards between January 2001 and May 2011 would get some payment. Those who still have accounts would get an automatic credit and the others would get a check mailed to them. No one would have to take any action or fill out any paperwork.

Barry Himmelstein, an attorney for customers who objected to the deal, said he calculated that the bank actually raked in $4.5 billion through the overdraft fees and was repaying less than 10 percent. He said the average customer in the case had $300 in overdraft fees, making them eligible for a $27 award — less than one overdraft charge — from the lawsuit.

We cut them off years ago for this type of shit.
    What they were doing is charging your large sums first then your smaller sums later (out of order) so they could make more money.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

So, people are fighting that the bank charges them a fee to access money they don't have? They should charge them...

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
      So, people are fighting that the bank charges them a fee to access money they don't have? They should charge them...

Picture and understanding fail!

Read the fucking thing would you.
      B of A was moving charges around (out of order) so they made more money of off overdrafts.

So you have $400 left in your account and pay a $425 bill knowing you will be charged for an overdraft. Great thank you B of A for doing this....but they debit that amount out of your account *first* then charge you for 5 4.00 charges from the day before. You get 5 charges instead of one. That's pretty fucked up if you ask me.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

It is more about take out the largest dollar amount first to try to insure that they can charge over draft fees.

They would also delay deposits IIRC, there by letting the OD fee occour when you had deposited money.

I had chase pull that crap with me a few times, so i kicked them to the curb like a tranny hooker.
        seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
          It is more about take out the largest dollar amount first to try to insure that they can charge over draft fees.

They would also delay deposits IIRC, there by letting the OD fee occour when you had deposited money.

I had chase pull that crap with me a few times, so i kicked them to the curb like a tranny hooker.

Holy shit. Chase and B of A have been the worst for us. We got rid of the both of them a few years back. Chase even charged us $20.00 to find out what our mortgage balance was. They refused to even verbally tell us. Couldn't fucking believe it.

Comment

sweet, so then i shall be receiving a settlement. never had an issue with bofa though.

also, i'm in the process of a class action lawsuit myself. ;)

'89 BMW 325is | '02 Mitsubishi Montero Limited | '2005 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax | 2007 BMW M5
            my feedback thread

Comment

Originally posted by joshh View Post
              Picture and understanding fail!

Read the fucking thing would you.
              B of A was moving charges around (out of order) so they made more money of off overdrafts.

So you have $400 left in your account and pay a $425 bill knowing you will be charged for an overdraft. Great thank you B of A for doing this....but they debit that amount out of your account *first* then charge you for 5 4.00 charges from the day before. You get 5 charges instead of one. That's pretty fucked up if you ask me.
              You're right, I didn't.

Banks are dicks.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                You're right, I didn't.

Banks are dicks.

Sorry I got a bit mean there.
                Not all are this bad. But keep your eyes open.
                Our credit union even tried to pull a skeezy thing with us.

Comment

I got rid of BofA a while back for delaying my online payments so they would not credit when they needed to, so they could bang me for a 39 late charge for being a day late. But never reported on my CR. I would pay them the day before it was due and it would show credited on my on line overview in time. But about a week latter around 50-60% of the time there would be a charge for the late fee and they would not reverse it.

I kicked them to the curb once I paid off my loan with them. Will never ever do business with them again

Never ever had an over draft in my life, I keep way more than I need in my checking accounts, just to make sure that will never ever happen.
                  Last edited by mrsleeve; 11-12-2011, 06:02 PM.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

I had US Bank pull that crap on me. I ended up getting most of my money back. But I kept them on the phone for a few hours just to waist their time. I'm sure I cost them way more then they got out of me.

There is a law that lets you opt out of any overdraft protection.
                    Originally posted by Matt-B
                    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

B of A is and has to be the worst bank to deal with in terms of Mortgage's and so forth. My lady is still having issues with her's after 4 years of clearing her chapter 11.

She has gone round in round with them over bullshit charges when she is ahead on here mortgage and the fact that the State of Mass Attorney General has been involved with the case and that has yet to resolve it yet.

I'd like to refinance it under USAA, maybe in a year or so.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Chase is another one to watch out for. They do the same "do anything" for extra charges thing as well.

Comment

I had this.. 4 overdrafts in one day before my check hit at noon. I begged and they canned all but one overdraft fee
                          Build Threads:
                          Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

This is exactly what wells fargo got caught doing a while ago. But the mentality can't be put any plainer than what BoFA execs said, "...we also have a right to make money..."

Comment

i love BB&T. i've had my accounts there for 23 years and counting.

that is all.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                              X