Clear All

Well that sucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ckgckuwdfdrm8dwcwarw.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	7188106

Comment

Here's a post by a guy who just picked up his new 4C. Not trying to sell anyone on them, just interesting to hear a first hand account from a non-motor-journalist.

"Just picked her up Fri Jun 10 at about 1pm.

I have to say that this car is really insane, 38 miles on the odo pulling out and after the commute home about 64 miles. Funny thing...Service Mgr Steve goes to start her to pull her out and she's dead...Thought to myself, How appropriate! One of the service guys evidently had left the interior light on, quick boost, they pull her out and she's good to go. Very little orientation.

When I initially pulled out of the dealership I thought, Oh man this thing is raw, but after a few miles things settled down. Obviously I'm still in Natural mode but Manual. She is entertaining as all hell and I know that I am really going to enjoy her . Mixed highway and then backroads on the trip home.

- I love the downshift blip of the throttle
      - I love the gear/tranny whine
      - The noises made by the turbo popoff valve are nuts
      - Hard ride, but very very solid piece of machinery, no rattles . Very happy with how she seems to be put together, feels like one piece.
      - Still in Natural mode but can tell she has balls, maybe another 75-100 miles until Dynamic mode, cant wait.
      - Race exhaust is perfect for me, plenty of rumble. Some say too loud, I love it.
      - 1st DC Trans, but I think I will be highly entertained and I still do not have full appreciation of her capabilities. Dont think I will miss manual in her at all. I still have two others with manual to get me through anyway.
      - Manual steering is a big Non Issue, don't understand what others are talking about. Easier than my Fiat 124 Spider back in the day from what I can remember.
      - Rear view while driving is not as bad as advertised IMO, have not tried backing up yet but can see where that will be interesting and I have the backup sensors.

- Cabin rear window needs to be cleaned in the engine compartment,. Done rather easily Sat.

- To think that Alfa Romeo could make such an outrageous car for the street really makes me smile/laugh.

The radio I have no idea what the hell Im doing, finally just put it on mute. Need to do some reading this wknd, have a stack of stuff on my coffee table to go through. Drove home with the seat in one position but have pushed it back a notch in the garage and will try that out tonight.

Moved my seat back one more notch from how I drove her home and now I'm legs and arms more extended and better view from the pass side mirror.

Anyone on the fence just go do it, shes as outrageous as you have read...and I'm still in Natural mode. Love her..."

I don't know about the "she / her" - it's a car, not a boat. Whatever.

Comment

Ha! Look at this little truck! It says it's a 1967 A12 and has a 1300 105 series engine.

Name:	IMG_3789.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	7188128

OH....he's in Norway. Guess we can't get one of these.

Comment

Blue Sprint

Will - just some blue ideas...

This may be "Albert Blue," which is just a beautiful rich color, very dark.

Name:	911s.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	7188137

The famous Gurney Lola Ford was a cool shade of very dark blue.

Name:	Gurney-Westlake.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	7188138

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            Will - just some blue ideas...

This may be "Albert Blue," which is just a beautiful rich color, very dark.
            [ATTACH]110193[/ATTACH]

The famous Gurney Lola Ford was a cool shade of very dark blue.
            [ATTACH]110194[/ATTACH]
            If I go blue, I think I'm going to go Winter Blue. Its a rare color, found only on the '57 Sprint Veloce. I'm still holding out for black however.

Are you in Monterey? I'll be at Laguna Seca tomorrow and Sunday. Yes I will be shooting as many Alfa's as I can.

Will
            '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
            '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
            '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

A momentous thing has occurred... The Sprint wears its full grill for the first time since the early 70s (or perhaps the 60s)!
              Before:

Now:

Its come a long way in the past couple months.

Will
              '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                A momentous thing has occurred... The Sprint wears its full grill for the first time since the early 70s (or perhaps the 60s)!
                Before:

Will
                That is bonerific!!!!!! Just yesterday, I was thinking about getting on here and hassling you for updates.

Looks like you found a body guy that is worth a shit. I seriously didn't think that was reparable. Just gorgeous will!

You know, there is actually an upside to this car being off the road for 40+ years..... That body wouldn't be nearly as rust free as it is now......

Oh, by the way..... Saw this. Don't know if there is anything you need.
                Last edited by flyboyx; 08-22-2016, 08:41 AM.
                sigpic
                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                  That is bonerific!!!!!! Just yesterday, I was thinking about getting on here and hassling you for updates.

Looks like you found a body guy that is worth a shit. I seriously didn't think that was reparable. Just gorgeous will!

You know, there is actually an upside to this car being off the road for 40+ years..... That body wouldn't be nearly as rust free as it is now......
                  Thanks. Yes he seems to know his stuff. I'm really looking forward to finding some time to run down there and have a look myself. I'm thinking he might be done with it by the end of September, that means I really need to come up with a color to paint it.

I think I just got lucky that the car wasn't that prone to rust. The barn it was in had a dirt floor that was often muddy, so there was a lot of moisture where the car was. You can see how wet the ground is in these pics of when I first found it.

This car was made with good steel, and for whatever reason is less prone to rust than it should be.

Will
                  '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                    Wow, that's amazing. So impressive he can rebuild that. Then how will they smooth that without filler? Or would he use lead?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      Wow, that's amazing. So impressive he can rebuild that. Then how will they smooth that without filler? Or would he use lead?
                      Not sure how he is going to smooth it out. He might use a torch to heat it a then planish it. Not sure what method he is going to use. He isn't a fan of using filler so I'm sure he will find a way to get it as close to correct as he can. There will undoubtedly be some filler used, but likely very little.

Will
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

It'll be fun to learn how that's done.

Meanwhile.......TZ1 pics!

Name:	TZ1 zagato.jpg
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	7188198

Name:	tz1-cutaway.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	7188199

Name:	tz1-cutaways.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	7188200

Comment

I dig TZ1s. Marnix Denelious had his out for the historics this year (he always does) very cool car.

Will
                          '88 BMW M3

Comment

TZ two!

[ATTACH]110271[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110272[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110273[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110274[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]110275[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]110276[/ATTACH]

Comment

Marnix Dillenius carves his way through turn 6 Sunday morning at the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca.

Will
                                '88 BMW M3

Comment

Working...
                                X