No announcement yet.

The Alfa Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That new Alfa is the basis for the next charger/challenger. They say it should give the new M2 a run for it's money.

On a side note what's a Spider Quadrifoglio with low miles worth these days with optional hardtop?
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Dunno - not up on my prices.

But somebody should buy this car! Being sold by a well-known Alfa restoration guy on the AlfaBB. Look at all the names in there - Vintage Customs bodywork, Group 2 in Seattle did the suspension, Just Dashes, and Richard Jemisen head work. It's beautiful.

Bid for the chance to own a Restored 1969 Alfa Romeo GTV at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #2,483.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GTV 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	7189064

Name:	gtv 2.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	7189065

Name:	gtv 3.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	7189066

Comment

I just got word that the bodywork on my car is done. Time for paint. Crap, I really need to make a decision on what color to paint the thing.

Will
        '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
        '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
        '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
          I just got word that the bodywork on my car is done. Time for paint. Crap, I really need to make a decision on what color to paint the thing.

Will
          I thought you decided on black? Red is the original color right?
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
            I thought you decided on black? Red is the original color right?
            I want black, my painter doesn't want to do black. It does me no good to want black if the guy is going to charge me $10K for a paint job. Yes, the car was red, and at this rate there is a 50/50 chance that it will go back to being red. If that happens it will bug me from now till I sell the car. I will never ever like it, but it will be the correct color for the car. That will lead to the epitome of love/hate relationships. ( I so hate resale red). I like the winter blue, but I just don't know if I want a blue car.

Will
            '88 BMW M3

Comment

A couple of Pininfarina designs, 22 years apart. Interestingly, the Spider is almost a foot longer than the much wider and heavier 348.

Name:	IMG_5404.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	7189067

Name:	IMG_5403.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	7189068
              '91 325i

Comment

That's one extra foot of "graceful"..... and a usable trunk!

Will, I know you don't like red, but what about that original old deep Alfa red from the grand prix and Le Mans cars - sometimes almost maroon...?

It's still a dark shade.

Name:	36 Alfa 8c2900 Boticella.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	7189069

Name:	CMC-M111-Alfa-Romeo-8C-2900-B-Speciale-19-1938-1-18-diecast-scale-mode-p-637x328.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	7189070

Name:	366080-bigthumbnail.jpg
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	7189071

Name:	ebay679215.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	7189072

Comment

I want black, my painter doesn't want to do black. It does me no good to want black if the guy is going to charge me $10K for a paint job. Yes, the car was red, and at this rate there is a 50/50 chance that it will go back to being red. If that happens it will bug me from now till I sell the car. I will never ever like it, but it will be the correct color for the car. That will lead to the epitome of love/hate relationships. ( I so hate resale red). I like the winter blue, but I just don't know if I want a blue car.

Will
                  Ultimately are you planning on selling the car or keeping it? If you have zero intentions of selling it, paint it whatever color you want.

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                  Will, I know you don't like red, but what about that original old deep Alfa red from the grand prix and Le Mans cars - sometimes almost maroon...?

It's still a dark shade.
                  I like this color too
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

If the paint guy is different from the body prep guy, they have to have some way of communicating their level of comfort with the level of finish. In construction, the guy installing the next system has to accept the work of the guy underneath his system, and sign off on it. Concrete guys, framers, steel frame, sheet rockers, painters...

Can there be some sort of waiver and he agrees to paint whatever finished surface he's provided with? Or he asks for more surface prep, or does his own, to get it up to his standards. Who decides what "perfect" means..?

Comment

Seen at one of the public auctions this week..

Was in the non-runner category.
                      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                      2016 Ford Flex
                      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                        Seen at one of the public auctions this week..

Was in the non-runner category.
                        I want those wheels! Ultra rare American Racing Le Mans wheels. I'd love a set of those for my Sprint (Never seen a Sprint with them, and only seen 1 other Alfa with them, it was an early spider so I know they made some that will fit a Sprint.)

I'm looking to hang onto the car, but at some point I'll sell it, way down the road. When that time comes, it would be a good idea to have a more or less correct color on the car. They are doing nothing but going up in value so in the end, if I want max value, the car had better be at least a factory Sprint color. Seriously, my Sprint and my M3 are my retirement fund.

As for the work done by the body guy, all he did was the nose and the trunk floor in one corner. There is nothing hiding, its all more or less bare metal.

The shut lines look good, everything lines up, a couple of very small dings (like 5 tops) and that is it. He has nothing to freak out about.

Will
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Seriously, my Sprint and my M3 are my retirement fund.

Will
                          bold move!... Im assuming you arent retiring anytime soon right? You will get more money at the sale in red, but you will get more pleasure in painting a color that you appreciate more.

Its like trying to decide if you want to stay with the S14 in your M3, resale will be higher with it, but a S52 or something else would be a lot more pleasurable
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            bold move!... Im assuming you arent retiring anytime soon right? You will get more money at the sale in red, but you will get more pleasure in painting a color that you appreciate more.

Its like trying to decide if you want to stay with the S14 in your M3, resale will be higher with it, but a S52 or something else would be a lot more pleasurable
                            I'm not retiring anytime soon, no. I'm not sure if a color change from red would really affect things in the long run or not. As long as I retain a Sprint color, I think it will have little effect. So many other color cars get changed to red, having one that is correct, while not correct from the factory might actually be a good move. Hard to say however.

As for swapping the S14 out, haha, the s52 isn't a real M motor. Why on earth would I want to drop the heavy lump in the car? If I wanted a 6 cyl, I'd do an S38 anyway. (Better yet, I'd buy an E28 M5 and drive that.) In my book swapping the S14 out for anything but an S14 makes the car a lesser car. More fun? hardly. In my book, the S14 IS the ultimate engine for an M3. I'd love to build a 320IS clone starting with a 91 318IS slicktop and install a built S14 in along with an M Tech 2 body kit.

Will
                            '88 BMW M3

Comment

I agree with you on a few things, in regards to the engine stuff on the M3, but my point was that once its not the original one its not original anymore so theres a loss in value.

With a color change on your Sprint, if its done right (which it looks like it will be here) than I agree with you that it wont have a huge effect on it, especially if its an era correct Alfa color
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

They came in black didn't they?

Comment

Working...
                                X