New car for my dad (that I could steal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car for my dad (that I could steal)

So I FINALLY convinced my dad to get rid of his 15.5 year old honda accord and get a BMW DD. He has his e46 m3 for sunny weekends, and now he's looking at basically anything to drive daily. His budget (once he sells his car) is around 5k. E36's are basically out cuz he hates those. The two main cars we're (mainly me) looking at are an e39 540i 6-speed or an e38. What do you guys think? For some reason the e39's are much more expensive on average than an e38, why is this (reliability?)?

If I were to basically take it from him and let him drive my e30, I'd love an e38. I really want one idk why.

Having never really been in one, the 5-series seems to be pointless to me on paper. I'd rather not have a mix of luxury and sports, just go for one (1,3) or the other (7) imo.

I love my e30 but... :eeek:
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

^ that is sick

Bahama Beige E23 Project
    Bluebird Bus Conversion
    New Oregon Trail

Comment

if you buy a sub 5k 740i or iL, prepare yourself for a high mileage example with high running costs.

When it comes to a 7 series, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Sounds like someone just wants their dad to get them a more powerful car to show off at school.

To get a good e38 you need to spend 20k plus. (740i/750i sport with low miles)
        Last edited by ALYKZANDYR; 02-13-2012, 12:37 AM.

Comment

e28.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
          Sounds like you need a massage.
          Originally posted by kpeng
          Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

I would go with a e39. Just got my lady a e39 530i and that car is smooth, fast and comfortable to the bee's knees

Comment

Originally posted by ALYKZANDYR View Post
              Sounds like someone just wants their dad to get them a more powerful car to show off at school.

To get a good e38 you need to spend 20k plus. (740i/750i with low miles)
              Nah. A red e30 vert (what I have) would be flashier than any e38, and that's what 99% of showing off is.

So how bad are the running costs of an e38? Many have close to 200k, so someone obviously drove them that much without giving up on it (although they may very likely be selling because it's too expensive to own). Is it that much cheaper than an e39? And where do you even get a 20k e38...i've only seen a few like '01 well under 100k for maybe 15 grand...no one pays that much (20+) for a 10 year old 7 series.

An e28 is also an option, so is an e34.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
              2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

the e38 is the ultimate boss car. Id go 740 for sure. the v12 750 is whack.

Also consider auto trans issues here. Most e38s being sold for dirt cheap have transmission problems due to lack of service.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                Ig:ryno_pzk
                I like the tuna here.
                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                  the e38 is the ultimate boss car.
                  My thoughts exactly. XECUTIV license plate ;)

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                  2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                    My thoughts exactly. XECUTIV license plate ;)
                    heres what you do. buy a clean one, slam it, 6 speed swap from e39 540i, some nice wheels, done!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                    Ig:ryno_pzk
                    I like the tuna here.
                    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

baus

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                        heres what you do. buy a clean one, slam it, 6 speed swap from e39 540i, some nice wheels, done!
                        Definitely the hardest part and I doubt it's well documented (who the fuck wants a manual e38 other than someone under 25??), but it would be on the eventual list.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                          Nah. A red e30 vert (what I have) would be flashier than any e38, and that's what 99% of showing off is.

So how bad are the running costs of an e38? Many have close to 200k, so someone obviously drove them that much without giving up on it (although they may very likely be selling because it's too expensive to own). Is it that much cheaper than an e39? And where do you even get a 20k e38...i've only seen a few like '01 well under 100k for maybe 15 grand...no one pays that much (20+) for a 10 year old 7 series.

An e28 is also an option, so is an e34.
                          yes you can find plenty around the 15K mark, but the ones i saw that were at the 20K mark were super clean well optioned sport models with under 70K miles on them.

Anyway your not going to get much of an E38 for 5K. it will likely be an early LWB model with with over 200K on it, and will need lots of work, it will be more trouble than its worth.

Imo, i wouldnt spend 5K on an E39 .personally i would have to spend 10K to get into an 540I/6. at that price point it will have a full service history and low miles.

you could get a 525i E39 for 5-6K but it will be auto and you'll tire o it quickly.

with newer BMWs due their complexity you really have to pay to play, if it is cheap you will have to dump loads into it, or you can pay alot upfront for a really good one.

Comment

Originally posted by ALYKZANDYR View Post
                            yes you can find plenty around the 15K mark, but the ones i saw that were at the 20K mark were super clean well optioned sport models with under 70K miles on them.

Anyway your not going to get much of an E38 for 5K. it will likely be an early LWB model with with over 200K on it, and will need lots of work, it will be more trouble than its worth.

Imo, i wouldnt spend 5K on an E39 .personally i would have to spend 10K to get into an 540I/6. at that price point it will have a full service history and low miles.

you could get a 525i E39 for 5-6K but it will be auto and you'll tire o it quickly.

with newer BMWs due their complexity you really have to pay to play, if it is cheap you will have to dump loads into it, or you can pay alot upfront for a really good one.
                            How bad does it get in the 150k range? Looking at cars like these:

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

In the 150K range it could go eather way really, if you serious id look at both of them in person and read the maintenance records.

being close in price If they both run and drive well choose the one which you feel is best.

But at this price point, id keep a few $K saved up to fix issues that may pop up.

I will say that ive never seen E38s that nice that cheap, then again i dont live near a large city. the ones for that price around here are beat to shit.

Between those 2 cars if after a test drive both were equal in condition id get the Sport one mainly because i like M pars.
                              Last edited by ALYKZANDYR; 02-13-2012, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X