No announcement yet.

New car for my dad (that I could steal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e38s are not anywhere near 20k. My dad got his with 140k, from a benz dealer, with awesome maintenance records and in FLAWLESS shape. It was a little under 6 out the door. Car ran like a tank for the first 20k miles, but then had some cooling issues, and blown struts. Kinda sucked, but not terrible. However, you will either need to pony up money here and there, or be willing to put lots of hours into it.

Comment

Sorry OP, but your first post kinda confuses me. You say you(or he) would rather have luxury and not a mix of lux/sport then you post a slammed 7.

I would agree with the E38, however, to appreciate the total luxury/comfort get a clean one with no mods and keep it that way. Why would you want a BOSS car that will rattle and spill your morning grande machiatto??
      Youtube channel is up!-->According2Valentine

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      If lucky, the E36 will die peacefully, in its natural habitat, and be given the prestigious honor of donating its parts to an E30
      Originally posted by J3M93
      This guy delivers, you are a boss

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
        For some reason the e39's are much more expensive on average than an e38, why is this (reliability?)?
        I don't know where that came from, but it's not true. They're about the same if they're both V8s and automatics. Thing is, if he gets a 6-speed 540, the trans can live on for ages, not like the automatic.

I don't need to keep my '98 540 Sport 6-speed with 185k miles, but it's comfortable, still very nice to drive, and it just keeps going so I'll keep on using it as a commuter for... who knows how long. I've had it for like 12 years, so why get rid of it? Sure it takes its share of repairs, but it's ancillary stuff - the hard parts in the motor and MT are very durable.

Someone said he can get an E38 and swap in a manual trans. I went that route about 8 years ago with our old E38, and yeah, it was cool. You'd only do that if you're facing a dying slushbox, and even then, it's a lot cheaper just to fix the slushbox. An E39 with a manual trans won't make you go through that.

So, my vote: E39 540 6-speed. If he doesn't need a V8 which likes to have its gaskets replaced now and then, which is kind of expensive, he'd do fine with a 530 5-speed MT.

Dave
        Present BMWs: E30 325iC, E39 540 Sport 6-speed, E60 M5 SMG

E30 Cabrio Turbo Project

Comment

Hmmmm, 5k? I'd say buy a 15 year old Honda Accord.
          i'lldoitforacaravan

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarz3 View Post
            Sorry OP, but your first post kinda confuses me. You say you(or he) would rather have luxury and not a mix of lux/sport then you post a slammed 7.

I would agree with the E38, however, to appreciate the total luxury/comfort get a clean one with no mods and keep it that way. Why would you want a BOSS car that will rattle and spill your morning grande machiatto??
            Well a slammed e38 is still luxury to me. Having 50lb 22"s is not sporty in the slightest.

But I do have to admit this is sick. I'd love to pick that up for like 4k and fix the fender and door with junkyard parts painted by jessy for a few hundred total. I'd definitely love driving that around.
            Last edited by Vivek; 02-14-2012, 12:43 AM.
            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Working...
            X