<$1500 Truck - What to look out for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<$1500 Truck - What to look out for

I need some advice picking up a cheap truck. The truck's main use would be for some landscaping stuff, picking up crap from home improvement stores, and other things like that, nothing serious.

I know for $1500 I will not get much, but if it were you, what would you get? I've always wanted an older Toyota Tacoma but those seem to have held their value...well. I used to do tile work with someone who owned a little Nissan frontier (prolly late 90s or early 2000's) and KNEW he did no work on it but it ran like a champ and took a beating no problem.

Ranger vs S10 vs nissan? Years to stay away from any models? I'm all ears!\

instagram: @tonerrrr
    High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Nissan all day

Ka24 is a nice engine

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
      Nissan all day

Ka24 is a nice engine
      tell me about it, my single cam ka on my previous 240 hit 380,XXX before i sold it.
      Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

I had a 98 ranger...was great till I went through 2 engines in a year and a half. Took one hell of a beating though so I'm not too surprised.
        Swanny!
        SUCKERS.

Comment

4.3 S10. yeah mileage will kinda suck, BUT bullet proof stone simple engine, fairly tuff trans and running gear. Dirt cheap to maintain and quite easy to work on.

I used to use them as work trucks on the farm and heavy construction and lots of side work dry-walling and cement work. granted they are not 3/4 tons but you would be amazed what you can do with them in a pinch
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

S10, then Nissan, then anything else, then ranger.
            1985 BMW 325e
            1997 BMW M3/4/5
            2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Jeep Comanche 4.0l/5spd.

Comment

S-10 or maybe Dakota. I like Dakotas cause they do have more room inside them.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

the Asian trucks=reliability, the American trucks= affordability.

I <3 early Nissan Hardbodies though, I can't lie.
                  Originally Posted by ACMF74
                  i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

From what I've seen, sub $1500 is going to get you a pretty hagard nissan/toyota PU. For that kind of money, I'd search for any make small truck and buy the one in the best condition.

I have a little 91 Ranger that I maybe drive twice a year to the dump or home improvement store. Its always had a hole in the radiator but I just fill it back up each time I drive it and never had a problem. Its a 2 wheel drive with a 5 speed and V6.
                    sigpic

Comment

I just went through this. In my area I couldnt find an old Nissan or Toyota pickup for that money... Period.

I needed a full size anyway so I looked at those. Still very slim pickings. Didn't find any old Fords, both dodges I'd found were crap too.i did find an 82 Chevy 4x4 with the diesel, but it was in need of a rebuild. The other two needed lots of work.

I finally came across a 73 c10. Mechanically it was perfect. Cosmetically it needed help... Still does. I got it off of the guy who'd owned it since 83. It was a daily for him for years and a farm truck/dump runner more recently. He'd rebuilt the carb a year ago and rebuilt the motor a year before that.

Anyway it runs great and it cost me 900 bones. In my area you'll be finding something similar to what I bought for your budget. Add about another 500-1000 and you could probably find an old Nissan hardbody or Toyota pickup, or even maybe a cosmetically nicer full size Chevy or Ford.

Comment

^

Your going to be hard pressed to find anything that is decent min or other wise for 1500. A decent 1/2 ton 2wd is going to be 3k in your area.

My bro is getting ready to sell his 01 1/2 ton 2wd Chevy rc/sb with a 4.3 for about 5k in the next few weeks (hes in tucson)
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Any older Toyota Pick Up with 22R or 22RE motor.

Comment

All great insight, thank you! It doesn't look like there are any "stay away from this model year S10" feedback or anything like that.

I know for $1500 I'll get what I pay for but cosmetics are a non issue. Rust is a non issue. Reliability is a not as much of an issue since the trips would be under 5 miles, it could (as in it doesn't need to make a trip to CA).

In my search I'm really looking for something that is in "running" condition with no "about to die" sounds and or transmission problems. I've seen a couple real craigslist winners and some that look promising. Lots of Rangers, lots of S10's, and a few pre-80s out there.

I forgot to ask one other thing, parts availability and cost, anything to look out for and stay away from?

mrsleeve, I found the one with the engine you're talking about: http://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/2911418090.html Going to give them a call tomorrow!

instagram: @tonerrrr
                            High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

12v cummins.. oh wait never mind.

Ford Ranger.

Comment

Working...
                              X