If you were a college student...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were a college student...

...And had to move back home for the summer, what would you choose to drive for the last few months of the year?
    Volvo 240 Station wagon or E30?

I'm about to go ditch the 2002 Volvo XC70 in LA, and don't know which car I wanna bring down with me.

Bimmer:
    -Hawt
    -Faster than Volvo by a light year
    -E30
    -Could have it for Bimmerfest

Volvo:
    -Big as fack for when I move all my shiet in 8 weeks
    -Can put my surfboard and bike on top
    -I could pick up some new rimz down here and take them back with me.

I guess I'm really just scared about moving in the e30.
    Car is lowered, and I'll be taking all my clothes, big mini-fridge, mountain bike, surfboard, and then some... Has anyone done a long roadtrip with the car bottomed out?

Anyway, I need to make this decision muy pronto, and cant make up my mind. halp!!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

So you are keeping both of them and just need to decide which to take with you for the time being?

If this is the case take the volvo if its that much more room. If its a choice between which to sell, obviously keep the e30.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
    This is the internet. Just make something up.

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
      I guess I'm really just scared about moving in the e30.
      Car is lowered, and I'll be taking all my clothes, big mini-fridge, mountain bike, surfboard, and then some... Has anyone done a long roadtrip with the car bottomed out?
      Just about, it was me and my friend with all of our shit CRAMMED into my car, lowered it a good bit more. I wasn't bottoming out due to stiffer spring rates, though. It wasn't bad, overall.

Be a man. Do it.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Talk to BigWilly bout road trips with a loaded E30. He stopped by my shop on his way from Boise to Bellingham in his slammed late model full of shit for school, including a roof rack with a bike and full set of track wheels/tires. Seemed to do just fine

Bahama Beige E23 Project
        Bluebird Bus Conversion
        New Oregon Trail

Comment

Lol, not selling the thurty! Just for 2 months down with me in SoCal.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

hahaha oh boy do i have some good pictures of my SLAMMED, not lowered, E30 hauling 700+lbs of cargo. On soft springs too (IE3's). Let me try to find them

It does it like a champ. Just make sure to brake VERRY EARLY.
            Originally posted by TSI
            ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
            OEM+

Comment

Take whichever one you think will be more reliable and save you money. Especially since your m42 is on it's way out. but then again if you kill it, you'll be forced to swap in a real engine, IE take the e30 :D
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
              VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

Comment

mini fridge, three suitcases, a bunch of assorted shit, clothes, etc etc, three passengers each 150+lbs in the rear, my girl in the front and me in the drivers seat, IE3 springs, 130mile journey, no problems except my water pump weep hole gave out which was just maintainence on my part. Also was an M50. brake early.
                Originally posted by TSI
                OEM+

Comment

Be a man! Take the E30. As Lambo mentioned, we did it a few months ago. It's not too bad.

Comment

E30!!!!!

Comment

Also had three longboards sticking out of my sunroof.............

The car was just about bottomed out. Or that was my bump stops.
                      Originally posted by TSI
                      OEM+

Comment

This is how I moved to college. Many hundreds of pounds of shit, including a bed, and not sagged at all. Later loaded the roof rack up as well, but no pics of that.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Yeah I've traveled a good couple hundred miles with so much stuff crammed into my E30 I had to bring the coilover adjusters to the highest setting in the rear because the body was sitting on the tires. It's possible to move around with an E30, while not as convenient as a volvo. I even hauled a M42 engine during a snow storm with summer tires by taking the passenger seat out. E30 is way more fun in college, you are not hauling crap around all the time too.
                          instagram

Comment

I drove from New York to Washington State with everything i own. My car is on HR race and billy sports. That being said, if i had a car that could haul stuff, ie a wagon i would have preferred that. 8 weeks isnt really worth it, just take the volvo down and roll to the beach with your board on the roof.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                            Sounds like you need a massage.
                            Originally posted by kpeng
                            Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

thanks for all the insight you gays. i am still anxiously pondering this decision, on the chair in the corner of my dimly lit room.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X