What amount of money would make you comfortable?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Threehz
    replied
    That's insane. Down here is one of the cheapest places to live, my friend just bought a big 3 bed, 3 bath, for 75k.

    The only debts I currently have are student loans, however this Fall I'm starting at the University here and I'll probably need to take out loans each semester.

    Being in school is a struggle. You can't work the hours you want, or commit to a career job because most of your time is devoted to school. Yet you need to pay the same bills that everyone else is paying.

    Lump sum, to get me through the next two to three years of school stress free, I would say about $65,000 would cover school costs and cheap housing.

    After school I won't be tied down, life can begin.

    Leave a comment:


  • jrobie79
    replied
    houses in my town from the early 1900s going for 750K and up....4,000 sq ft new houses are in like the million dollar range...same thing in NH is like 400K

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Same. Where I live, its down but just a decent place listed recently, built in the late 70s need 75k in up dates for 1/2 a mil, I woujld not pay over 255 for it

    Leave a comment:


  • Adrian_Visser
    replied
    You should see the piece of shit houses that sell for 400k around here. Real Estate is in a downturn and still people are trying to sell their overpriced '70's houses like they are solid gold.

    Take for instance my neighbour, she just had her place on the market. It's a 1970's house that was built onto in 1995 to form a duplex. 2340 square feet, no central heat or air, carport no garage, old windows, new roof, shitty yard and she's asking 370k for just her half of the duplex (I own the other half which I paid considerably less for and IMO is way nicer). WTF?
    Last edited by Adrian_Visser; 04-23-2012, 07:52 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    ^

    We have thed canadians holding our real estate up too and its making it hard on the locals, who are lookingv to buy. As everyone selling is hopeing for albetra oil money.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrian_Visser
    I dunno when I started out I thought my current salary would be living large, now I realize it's fuck all. Can barely afford a mortgage and a social life where I live (it's ranked the 38th most expensive place to live in the world) it pisses me of actually.

    250k/year would suffice, hell 150 would be alright.

    Do I sound like a greedy whiner? Proly.
    canada is expensive as hell. my mother in law makes $100k a year or so, and she ain't rich. Father in law's wife is loaded, I have no idea what they earn but they live in Vancouver and own 2 apartments, that can't be cheap...

    bad thing is, it pushes up prices where I'm at - on everything. food, gas, housing, is more expensive because tons of canadians come here where it's relatively cheap. I'd bet you couldn't touch a house like mine for less than $1 million in the vancouver area.. it's nuts!

    Leave a comment:


  • Jorgen
    replied
    Originally posted by Adrian_Visser
    I dunno when I started out I thought my current salary would be living large, now I realize it's fuck all.
    This mans speaks the truth. When I left school if I knew I would be making what I make now I would have been pretty happy, now I just look at it and know it all has a place to go befor eI even get it. I am not really even in debt aside from house car and school loans. Based on where I am now and what I am making to really be comfortable and not have money worries at all I would say I would like to see about $175-225k/year. Really the only difference I would it would make is allow me to pay off school faster and save more for the oh shit fund and retirement, I would pretty much live exactly the same though.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Lump sum........ 4m would do it. 350k = paid off house. 50k for toys. 3.6m. Invested and earning 6% average = retired and living off dividends/earned interest @ 200k + a year. I think I. Could live on that.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied
    Honestly though, Comfortable for me is debt free and enough coming in to pay all our bills and have extra to save.

    All the times in my life i've had a debt against me, it's been much more stressful than when we are free and clear of debt. It's amazing how much you can do when you can use ALL of your own money!

    Leave a comment:


  • Adrian_Visser
    replied
    I dunno when I started out I thought my current salary would be living large, now I realize it's fuck all. Can barely afford a mortgage and a social life where I live (it's ranked the 38th most expensive place to live in the world) it pisses me of actually.

    250k/year would suffice, hell 150 would be alright.

    Do I sound like a greedy whiner? Proly.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by lolcantturn
    Hey I'm 18 and make $400 a week while a full time student don't get on my case ;)
    Lol...I'm 22 and make $400 a week with a full time shoulddagonetocollage job slinging parts.

    Don't get on my case. :p

    Leave a comment:


  • lolcantturn
    replied
    Hey I'm 18 and make $400 a week while a full time student don't get on my case ;)

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by lolcantturn
    I meant lump sum. If I was given a lump sum of $1000 I could pay off school and then I would live comfortably off my pay check. I'm a college student so $1k isn't enough, but it is when you stretch your paycheck far enough to cover your expenses (i.e. owning an E30 that doesn't like to cooperate with your pay..)
    Lump sum? I just got a $2500 tax refund....still wasn't enough.

    I'd say $10k would let me get my debts paid off with some extra to fix some shit on the cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    dude. our two strollers are worth more than $1k. just saying. :p

    Leave a comment:


  • lolcantturn
    replied
    I meant lump sum. If I was given a lump sum of $1000 I could pay off school and then I would live comfortably off my pay check. I'm a college student so $1k isn't enough, but it is when you stretch your paycheck far enough to cover your expenses (i.e. owning an E30 that doesn't like to cooperate with your pay..)

    Leave a comment:

Working...