No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after selling my p38 I picked up a Disco l with almost 300k and it is a 5 speed. I wanted something to tow with and got this for super cheap. Figuring since it has turned nearly 300k miles and was owned by a retired army officer and a mechanical engineer before me that it was in pretty good shape and aside from paint fade it is super clean. Well upon getting the truck home I discovered the cargo area is suffering from pretty bad rot, also my right side tail light is in-op.

Any of you other Disco guys done the rust repair to the cargo area? I know it is pretty common just wondering how expensive that will be. I tried replacing the tail light assembly with a used one but it looks like on both housings the the bulb holders are melted and damaged the housing. I am wondering if brand new tail lights would make a difference or if it is something in the wiring. I will post pics later if anyone thinks that would help.
    2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
    1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
    1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Tawlk at me, Re: 2003 L322 engine replacement.

Don't try to discourage me. I am a masochist.

GO.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Had some fun on the Fins and Things 4x4 trail in Moab Utah a few weeks ago!

Did really well for a near stock truck, just tires, bilsteins, and the 04 CDL

Comment

If anyone wants a D2 front driveshaft and LT230 output flange to match I have one.

$250 shipped.

Comment

Originally posted by jrossowvue30 View Post
            Any of you other Disco guys done the rust repair to the cargo area? I know it is pretty common just wondering how expensive that will be. I tried replacing the tail light assembly with a used one but it looks like on both housings the the bulb holders are melted and damaged the housing. I am wondering if brand new tail lights would make a difference or if it is something in the wiring. I will post pics later if anyone thinks that would help.
            My entire cargo area has been cut out & replaced with a sheet of 10ga. Same goes for my driver's floor. And half the passenger footwell. I figure it'll take several years for steel that thick to rot through, so I'm calling it good.

My own right side tail light experience was the following:

-"Hey, your taillight is out!"

-Replace bulb, all is well. For two weeks.

-Mutter while I pull the bulb circuit board & find it to be corroded. Polish it up & all is well.

-Curse. Check bulb and circuitboard again. This time the board is warped and the bulb holder melted. I replace both. All it well.

-"Hey, your taillights are out!"

-Yeah, no kidding. So are my dash lights. I trace the issue to a still-smoldering trailer harness the PO cobbled together with a prayer and preferred stock in an electrical tape manufacturing company prior to zip-tying HARD to a fuel line on top of the frame rail. (out of sight, out of flamefront, I guess) I remove all traces of the sin against motoring, replace fuse, and everything is well again.

-"Hey, your taillight is out!" offers my helpful coworker.

-"For how long?"

-I dunno.....a few months maybe?"

-I pull the bulb and clean the corrosion off the base. Nothing. I pull the circuitboard again and retrace/rebuild the paths where they appear to be sketchy. Nothing. I order a new bulb holder and install it. Nothing. I am at wits end and am about to throw the bulb across the shop floor. That is when I notice the broken filament. Bugger. Replaced the bulb and all is well.

Comment

My older son's D1, just back from weekend camping..

Click image for larger version

Name:	big fish.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	7167958

Name:	Mod LR.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	7167959

Name:	Mod RR.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	7167960

Name:	Mod Front.jpg
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	7167961

Name:	wheel.jpg
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	7167962

He's been happy with this new Toyo / Les Schwab tire. E rated. Good in rain, good in snow, good on dirt, and 50,000 mi life we're told. Plus Les Schwab dealers all over the west.

Comment

If anyone wants a 95 D1 mine is up for sale.

Also I've got this weird little coolant spray that's on the drive fan cover on my D2 that I can't figure out.

Any ideas?
                1986 Plymouth Horizon. Base.

Comment

you could have at least left the county code on those plates so I know where your form around here ;)
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

If anyone wants a 5-speed Disco I mine is for sale in Richmond, $700!

http://richmond.craigslist.org/cto/4533249511.html
                    2004 BMW e60 525i - Daily
                    1996 BMW e36 M3 - Toy
                    1994 Jeep Wrangler - Summer Toy
                    1993 Range Rover Classic - Handsome Looker that never gets driven

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                      If anyone wants a D2 front driveshaft and LT230 output flange to match I have one.

$250 shipped.
                      Did you give up on the M52 Rover? Say it ain't so!!
                      www.truegearhead.com
                      - bad decisions & questionable cars

Comment

Originally posted by ReallyDirtyThirty View Post
                        Did you give up on the M52 Rover? Say it ain't so!!
                        Nope. Had an extra DS from the LT230 swap.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                          you could have at least left the county code on those plates so i know where your form around here ;)

Where is Kootenai Falls that you posted earlier? Near Libby? Have to go see that.

Comment

LR3s.....tawlk to me.

Comment

(my opinion only)

They're nice. They look good.
                              I love all the little design cues from Discovery and Series trucks, but in a sleek modern look.
                              They're plush. Interior is nice.
                              They can go up a wall with hardly a fuss. Smart 4WD vs skidding / hopping / chirping.
                              They're heavy. (mileage can't be good, I haven't heard)
                              Complicated electronics, but I think they're fairly reliable.
                              The first year or so has a software flash update available at dealers to fix quirks.
                              There's a kit with small rods you can add to the air springs to lift it temporarily, and the computer works normally.

I see them at coffee shops with posh women, and I saw one in Denver rigged up Full Expedition, ready to go to Namibia.

(these two are LR4s, sorry)

Name:	JoD 1000k Disco.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	7168000

Name:	journey-of-discovery_01.jpg
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	7168001

Name:	Solihull Tour.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	7168002

Comment

3rd row seating has me contemplating one. Gives me a good excuse...plus they're getting to about the $10k mark for a bit over 100k miles.

...and the old Classic is rusting out from under me. Inner wings are almost toast.

Comment

Working...
                                X