Post pictures of your most recent purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
    Your spine might say something different...
    Lorin,

It's a Schroth product, TUV approved, DOT approved, and has been used for years.
    Also, it looks to have the ASM technology, which makes the "spinal" argument false....
    Is it as good as a roll bar mounted setup - no. Is it bad/incorrect - no.

Below the radar...

Comment

:ohsnap:
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
        Lorin,

It's a Schroth product, TUV approved, DOT approved, and has been used for years.
        Also, it looks to have the ASM technology, which makes the "spinal" argument false....

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...allye/rallye-3
        100% correct, I have the same ones mounted in my car. I asked a friend of mine that tech inspects for Watkins Glen if I did it correctly(I used photos based off the internet), I was correct even though I am going to a cage sometime this coming year.
        ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
        ~ '87 535
        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Yep, you guys are correct. The belts are Schroth Rallye 4 which utilize the stock rear seat belt mounting points and are 100% legal for the street.
          FYI:
          http://www.soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html
          http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
          Instagram:
          https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
          LS Build Thread:
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Found this scrolling eBay, bought it immediately. 1/24 scale model, I have the fujimi e30 coupe so I know they aren't the most accurate model, but who cares
            Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	7172781
            '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
            '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
            '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
            '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
              Lorin,

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...allye/rallye-3
              Originally posted by F34R View Post
              100% correct, I have the same ones mounted in my car. I asked a friend of mine that tech inspects for Watkins Glen if I did it correctly(I used photos based off the internet), I was correct even though I am going to a cage sometime this coming year.
              Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post
              Yep, you guys are correct. The belts are Schroth Rallye 4 which utilize the stock rear seat belt mounting points and are 100% legal for the street.
              FYI:
              http://www.soloracer.com/harnschrothfaq.html
              http://www.soloracer.com/rallye4.html

Not necessarily disagreeing, but I had the same harnesses and every single SCCA/ etc tech failed me for having them mounted the way you do. No where have I seen true research or proof that it does indeed help prevent the issue. Does that mean it doesn't? No, but it also doesn't mean it does and I wouldn't take the chance if it was me.

Not trying to be a dick, I've just been seeing harness' pop up everywhere mounted like that recently.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
                Not necessarily disagreeing, but I had the same harnesses and every single SCCA/ etc tech failed me for having them mounted the way you do. No where have I seen true research or proof that it does indeed help prevent the issue. Does that mean it doesn't? No, but it also doesn't mean it does and I wouldn't take the chance if it was me.

Not trying to be a dick, I've just been seeing harness' pop up everywhere mounted like that recently.
                IMHO the true way a harness attaches is on a roll cage, I don't have time for a cage over the winter and when I bought the harness I have now, I did not know much about the different harnesses out there. I can sure as heck feel the snug hold and that it has gotten me out of three tickets to date. The police LOVE seeing the harness and knowing that i am trying to better my safety and that I wear it anytime I drive.

What I have found online and from SCCA techs passing me(not saying much) but my friend that techs for a REAL track says that is how they mount and that I am correct on my install. Bolts to the rear seat belt mounts and the base of the seat, harness goes over the shoulders and clicks together at the waist. It is safer than factory, that is all that matters to me! If someone has info from Schroth that says I am doing it wrong...I'll do whatever the guide says. I don't make harnesses or pretend to know how these ones function, used a bunch of photos off the internet.

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

The angle of the belts compresses the spine, in a hard impact they are not as safe as a roll-bar mounted 5 point because of that angle. You want 10-20 degrees from Horizontal on your shoulder belts, that's what they are referring to. Those harnesses are fine for the street but on the track, where a high speed impact is more likely, they are not ideal
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                    The angle of the belts compresses the spine, in a hard impact they are not as safe as a roll-bar mounted 5 point because of that angle. You want 10-20 degrees from Horizontal on your shoulder belts.
                    So if I took and raised them up, drilled new holes and welded bolts to the backing with plates to brace for impact it would stop that from happening. I believe these are used mainly for driving school/SCCA? almost no risk of impact unlike the unexpected careless drivers you encounter.

Current cars:
                    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                    ~ '87 535
                    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                        So if I took and raised them up, drilled new holes and welded bolts to the backing with plates to brace for impact it would stop that from happening. I believe these are used mainly for driving school/SCCA? almost no risk of impact unlike the unexpected careless drivers you encounter.
                        Not to get anymore offtrack but yes, this is exactly what I did. I found the most rigid point of the rear bulkhead and attached to there, as per advice of the tech people.

Again, I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to educate people the same way I had to be educated when I was new to roll bars/ harnesses/ fixed backs.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

G26 Gen 4

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                            G26 Gen 4

How's that shoot?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Post pictures of your most recent purchase

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                              G26 Gen 4

Double post -__-
                              Last edited by ThatOneEuroE30; 12-23-2014, 06:08 PM.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                                How's that shoot?
                                It shoots well. I got it used for the price I sold my gen 2 Glock 23 and two mags for. Except this one came with a lock, three mags, a cleaning kit, and is about 10 years newer. It shoots very well for the size. It's the best CC gun; IMO not too many compromises.

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                                How's that shoot?
                                Still shoots well.

Comment

Working...
                                X