Computer thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    They are the fucking shit for working on your computer in you work truck, when you can put them anywhere and they work..... unlike a mouse which has to have a good surface and when you have lots of click and hold kind of tools you have to use all the time
    Definitely a life saver when you're working out at the hangar where interns are, essentially, thrown in a corner with a couple cardboard boxes to work on...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      how about wireless mice/keyboards? I had some sort of Logitech a few years back and it was laggy. Got a Microsoft something or other recently and it was equally as useless. Is it just a waste of time to expect a wireless mouse that doesn't lag, or a keyboard that misses 1/3 of my keystrokes?

Im using a Microsoft Sculpt set up ... works great. I have had several of the other MSFT keyboards and mice (both wireless and not) which were fine too. I find though that the battery life is hit or miss and that leads to the skipping letters etc ... which I find highly annoying.
      Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Well, just found out I might not be going to Wuste this year... So that's another few hundred dollars I could sink into a build...

Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Dual 24" Asus monitors

NZXT S340 Mid tower gloss white
          Asus Z97-E motherboard
          Intel Core I5 4690K
          R9-290A 4Gb 512
          NZXT 700W Power supply
          G-Skill 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
          1T HDD
          H55 cooler

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I have a $15 wireless Logitech mouse that I use for my desktop PC, and an Apple magic mouse I use for my Macbook. Neither are the least bit laggy, and both seem to make 2 AA batteries last easily 7 or 8 months.

Also I learned a good way to piss of electronics store employees is spend ~$2600 on computer parts, and $40 total on a mouse and keyboard.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGan View Post
              I have a $15 wireless Logitech mouse that I use for my desktop PC, and an Apple magic mouse I use for my Macbook. Neither are the least bit laggy, and both seem to make 2 AA batteries last easily 7 or 8 months.

Also I learned a good way to piss of electronics store employees is spend ~$2600 on computer parts, and $40 total on a mouse and keyboard.
              Jesus Christ... what were buying for $2600?

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                Dual Asus monitors

NZXT S340 Mid tower gloss white
                Asus Z97-E motherboard
                Intel Core I5 4690K
                R9-290A 4Gb 512
                NZXT 700W Power supply
                G-Skill 8GB DDR3 SDRAM
                1T HDD
                H55 cooler
                This is basically the build I'm looking at right now.

I adjusted my theoretical budget for the possibility of not going to Vegas. Ended up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.73 @ OutletPC)
                CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
                Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
                Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($135.88 @ OutletPC)
                Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
                Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
                Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ Directron)
                Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
                Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1238.52

Comment

One of the things I'm struggling with is: would I rather upgrade the motherboard or go with liquid cooling? Both would equate to about the same price increase.

Comment

^Depends on what you want from the motherboard and if the one you have listed is enough for the job.
                    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                    Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Originally posted by E-Thirty View Post
                      ^Depends on what you want from the motherboard and if the one you have listed is enough for the job.
                      That's what I've been thinking about. Futureproof vs. budget sorta deal

Man there are so many variables with this computer business...

Comment

Technically that mb should be fine. The only thing that worries me is the feedback on newegg about that model. That also has to be taken with a grain of salt, as most leave a review to complain. It seems to have decent feedback on amazon and tigerdirect though.
                        Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                        Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          This is basically the build I'm looking at right now.

I adjusted my theoretical budget for the possibility of not going to Vegas. Ended up with this:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.73 @ OutletPC)
                          CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.98 @ OutletPC)
                          Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
                          Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($135.88 @ OutletPC)
                          Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.98 @ NCIX US)
                          Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
                          Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($328.99 @ Directron)
                          Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
                          Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $1238.52
                          Hmm. My build came to $760 tax included without the monitors. I also have nearly $50 in rebates I need to submit.
                          Wait for some sort of Holiday sale.

i7 is overkill in my belief, but you said you're doing some intensive design stuff right? So I may be wrong.
                          970's currently have a defect where it is only able to use 3.XX of the 4G once accessed. Lots of people are mad.
                          I got everything on Newegg (they are also 3 miles down from where I live.)

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                            Hmm. My build came to $760 tax included without the monitors. I also have nearly $50 in rebates I need to submit.
                            Wait for some sort of Holiday sale.

i7 is overkill in my belief, but you said you're doing some intensive design stuff right? So I may be wrong.
                            970's currently have a defect where it is only able to use 3.XX of the 4G once accessed. Lots of people are mad.
                            I got everything on Newegg (they are also 3 miles down from where I live.)
                            Yeah i7 would probably be a good investment because games will eventually start utilizing all those threads and shit but for right now they're definitely useful for 3d modeling and content editing.

I have been reading about the 970 memory allocation issue. It's technically not a defect, the card does have 4gb of memory however 512mb of that memory is of a much slower nature compared to the other 3.5gb. Nividia just did an awful job of correcting the specs from when it was released up until now. For all intents and purposes it's a 3.5gb card. I'm gonna start looking at the R9 series cards but I've always been an Nvidia fan.

Comment

I love my gtx970. It is a beast card, delivering 100+ fps on bf4 on ultra settings.

I'd love to know anyone who has actually "suffered" from the "defect" under any reasonable uses for that card.
                              No E30 Club
                              Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                              Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                                I love my gtx970. It is a beast card, delivering 100+ fps on bf4 on ultra settings.

I'd love to know anyone who has actually "suffered" from the "defect" under any reasonable uses for that card.
                                Yeah that's pretty much what I gathered. It only slows down once you surpass the 3.5gb limit.

Comment

Working...
                                X