im moving to Virginia

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5spoke
    replied
    OK here is what you do if you are not going to pass emissions. You don't need a different address or anything, you register the car at your real address in VA and then select it as being garaged in a different county. For example I have a 1992 miata that is an auto-x/project car. There is no way in hell that thing is passing emissions right now, its registered to me at my current address 20 miles outside of DC, but as far as the DMV i concerned it is "Garaged" in Chesterfield County just south of richmond. I have relatives there so the story can be believable, but you could pick any town with a college or something that if a cop ever asked you could claim to go to. No emissions required and you don't need a random po box. All you do is say at the counter or online when you register it "The car is garaged in ________" no proof or address required.

    Also welcome.

    Leave a comment:


  • CarsSuck
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
    I think Culpepper is right on the cusp, if it hasn't recently been sucked into emissions testing.
    Nothing has ever been "sucked" into emissions testing. It applies to Fairfax, Loudon, PW, Stafford, Arlington and Alexandria and included the small localities in those counties i.e. ffx city and manassas park. The boundaries have been the same since the program was implemented many years ago.

    Your just bad mouthing a system that forces people to maintain there cars to a reasonable standard. Business wise, shops would benefit greatly from emissions testing as customers will be more likely to have necessary maintainence done at the shop when it fails its test. That's money in the bank see no reason why any shop owner would oppose emissions testing. In Richmond, where there is no testing, there are no gas station/service stations. To get a simple safety inspection done you have to go to a real shop, which always performs a "courtesy" inspection and takes 3 times longer. It's a real PITA, actually.

    Leave a comment:


  • Wh33lhop
    replied
    Originally posted by Emre
    You'll be near VIR and Summit Point.
    No excuses...
    Excuse: because Stancecar. :p

    Leave a comment:


  • Emre
    replied
    You'll be near VIR and Summit Point.
    No excuses...

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    I think Culpepper is right on the cusp, if it hasn't recently been sucked into emissions testing.

    Leave a comment:


  • McGyver
    replied
    Originally posted by imsotyerred
    you

    Anything above fredericksburg, pretty much, needs emissions. IIRC, even areas like Culpepper and Washington (not DC) need emissions.

    My car is registered at my brother's apartment in richmond, just safety inspection for me. None of this matters anyway, he's keeping it registered at his place out of state.
    not in culpeper. i grew up there and they basically just check for 4 wheels.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by fannman
    I've never had a car get emissions tested yet. I am in "rural" virginia though so that makes a difference. Plus when you go to place in the boonies that only pulls your car in, makes sure your lights work, and have good tires then pass's your car, that makes things easy. I've had bald tires, exhaust leaks, blown tie rod bushings and what not on previous cars and they didn't say anything about it. All depends on the shop I guess.
    Rural Va will never have emissions inspections. All the stations will shut down doing VSI when they are told to buy the equipment. I've heard this from many many local shops, even the one I work at and we're far from a small operation.

    Leave a comment:


  • ColdAccord
    replied
    radar detectors are illegal

    dc and williamsburg are cool

    richmond is awesome

    e46fanatics mid atlantic section is huge, they always post up meets. also:

    Open to all the BMW drivers in Hampton Roads (Richmond too) for discussions and pictures. Other Virginia BMW owners are welcome to join. Meets will also be posted here from time to time.

    Leave a comment:


  • fannman
    replied
    I've never had a car get emissions tested yet. I am in "rural" virginia though so that makes a difference. Plus when you go to place in the boonies that only pulls your car in, makes sure your lights work, and have good tires then pass's your car, that makes things easy. I've had bald tires, exhaust leaks, blown tie rod bushings and what not on previous cars and they didn't say anything about it. All depends on the shop I guess.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nick325is
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
    WVa is West Virginia, a whole different state, so NoVa is Northern Virginia, thus, a whole different state.
    QFT

    Can't wait to be back in the real VA for Christmas!

    Leave a comment:


  • CarsSuck
    replied
    I still have my car registered in fairfax because Richmond charges higher property taxes on cars. I have no fear of nova emssions, still have the stock cat at 182k and pass no problem.

    I didn't mean to get personal, its really a moral argument of who has the right to pollute more than someone else. Richmond has no AQ testing and it really shows. Its a dirty city.

    Leave a comment:


  • slammin.e28
    replied
    I've heard of people getting Euro spec cars into Canada and keeping a PO box up there, checked by friends or family, and driving the cars down here.

    Problem?

    Leave a comment:


  • imsotyerred
    replied
    Originally posted by CarsSuck
    So wait, are you trollin' or am I?
    you

    Anything above fredericksburg, pretty much, needs emissions. IIRC, even areas like Culpepper and Washington (not DC) need emissions.

    My car is registered at my brother's apartment in richmond, just safety inspection for me. None of this matters anyway, he's keeping it registered at his place out of state.
    Last edited by imsotyerred; 11-29-2012, 05:12 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • CarsSuck
    replied
    So wait, are you trollin' or am I?

    Leave a comment:


  • InuFaye
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
    Because they are expensive to replace when they go bad.
    exactly.

    Who gives a fuck what some washington hippies think.

    Leave a comment:

Working...