Best Christmas present ever!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Christmas present ever!

My Dad, who I was very close with, passed away one year ago, and wore this Seiko for as long as I can remember. It was a beat up to the point that he couldnt hardly read it. We all insisted that he get a new watch, but he was stubborn to the point. It was my youngest Daughter who convinced him to get a new watch at the mall, by coning him after a lunch. My father was reluctant, but once he found a new Fossil watch he liked, he bought it, was excited, and started to showed it off to everybody...I was very proud of my Daughter, Courtney.

When he passed, we came across the old Seiko in his dresser. It wasnt running, and was just as beat up as we all knew...the crystal was scratched to the point that you couldnt even make out the day/date on the worn and dirty dials...same for the face. The case and back were worn significantly, and the band was a mess packed with dirt and wear. It seemed a worthless mess to me, but my Daughter said she wanted it to remember him by.

So that brings me to yesterday, Christmas day. Courtney knows I like watches, and surprises me with my Dads old watch meticulously refurbished like new! She said she found an old Russian watch maker who completely restored the watch to like new!

I almost cried.

Anyway, sorry to sound like a sap, and I know its just a run-of-mill Seiko Quartz, but it means the world to me both because it was my Fathers legacy, and my Daughter took the time/effort and thought of giving the best gift I have probably ever received.

Thank you Courtney!

Thats awesome! And it does look brand new

J

Comment

Awesome story, beautiful watch. I'm sure it won't be leaving your wrist any time soon.

Comment

Awesome! It's much too cool to have an old watch restored.

Comment

Great story. I have two watches that my grandfathers had before they passed away. They're both "run of the mill" inexpensive watches but it's neat to have them.
          1988 325i Vert
          1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

Great story Butch ;)

out dated sig is out dated

Comment

your daughter sounds like an excellent person.. good dad skills, man!

also the watch looks great.. i'd be interested to see the 'before' picture.

Comment

That's awesome!
                My dad passed 20 years ago,and among his possesions that I have, on my key ring is an old champion gap gauge that I found on the keyring of the last car he built.
                1990 325is "the rat"/ E30 Warsteiner tribute racecar/1985 325e "faded Glory"/ 1968 Chevy II Nova "the baby"/ 2001 525i 5spd purchased May 2013 with 16k miles. Plus other junk that annoys the neighbors.

Comment

Very nice....my Dad passed away just over 5yrs ago. Like the watch, it's the little things that remind me of the years past that are the most special. Thumbs up to your Daughter.
                  -03/2005 E46 330D Touring 6spd(204hp/410nM) Sapphire Black/Naturbraun Sport...300k KM & 35mpg(mixed)

Comment

You knew it was coming...

Comment

Nice josh! i was thinking the same thing.
                      OP, cool story, awesome watch. It's family that makes these things so great. Without family, we would have nothing.
                      Yours truly,
                      Rich
                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by Rigmaster
                      you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Great gift! Man you cant find very many true crafts man who do work like that. Got to love old world talent.
                        sigpic
                        "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Great story and your daughter is a gem!

I had the same thing done with my Father's watch and reading this reminds me to put it on and get some wrist time.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Did the exact same thing last year for my grandfather's watch. Had it refinished and gave it to my oldest brother, who truly considered him his father. Brought a tear and Ill never forget it.

Great story!

Comment

that is very awesome and heart warming
                              95 7.1L 16V E36 M3
                              Motorsport Hardware ***Wheel studs and Spacers!!!--->FOR SALE 4/5 Lug Stud Conversion Kits available CLICK HERE
                              LIKE my Facebook Page! CLICK HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X