Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acceptable and Unacceptable Harbor Freight Tools

Just thought this might help to collectively weed out stuff you should and shouldn't buy from there, because somethings you just can't screw up.
    Post your experiences.

Good
    Aluminum floor jacks: I picked up a used one from a yard sale and have used it for 5 years and have had to bleed it time to time and replace the main o-ring once.

Good
    Impact Sockets: I work at an assembly plant for railroad maintenence equipment and most guys in the shop have HF impact sockets and they hold their own.

Good
    Spot Weld Cutter: Recently reconstructed the front inner fenderwells on my car and probably drilled out 30-50 or so spot welds before this gave out. well worth the $5.

Bad
    Step Drill Bits: Garbage, returned it the next day, tried to open up two holes a few steps and I was basically manually pushing it through the last hole.

Great thread. Garage journal has a thread too!
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

That spot weld cutter. To think, I've been using a drill all this time.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

for me so far
        Good:
        *jack
        *jackstands
        *creepers
        *most of their hand tools
        *engine hoist
        *torque wrench

not too sure
        *zipties
        *some of their drill bits
        *orbital buffer

Just saying from experience

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
          I hate that feeling you just had, of realization of time spent, tools thrown, blood leaked and pain in the ass suffered.

been there too...lol

Iknowhowitfeelsbro.jpeg/
          Originally Posted by ACMF74
          i clicked on this cuz i saw p3nis

Comment

BAD
            Metal sheers...garbage, all they did was bend the metal.

GOOD
            Hard to beat these for the price.

Ehhh, decent?
            For the money it's hard to beat for the casual mechanic. $18 for the whole set.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

It's a life changer, the center punch/pin is spring loaded so as soon as you cut through the top sheet metal layer it pushes the layer behind it back a little, if that makes sense.

Comment

Good:

100 Piece Security Bit Set #68457
                Works just fine, has most every security bit you need for taking apart small items like pressure washers or other things you are not supposed to service.

5 Piece Slide Hammer and Bearing Puller Set #95987
                Works really nicely on a stubborn pilot bearing! A fine economy slide hammer, but I have questions about its longevity.

Bad:

11 Piece Snap Ring Pliers Set #92374
                Worthless, not only do the pliers not stay together, but the metal deforms very easily, making them one use tools.

1/4" (and the 3/8" + 1/2") Socket Rail #39721
                Not great, bar is rough, hard to slide the holders, and the holders snap easily when you try to remove a socket, which is often not easy. Bolted in place they might be okay, in a tool bag they are terrible.

5 Piece Front End Service Tool Set #66686
                Worked fine for five ball joint removals (did a good job of not damaging the joint too), then the screw ate up the metal in the largest tool. Further the threads are overly fine, which means you are there forever turning the screw.

Comment

Originally posted by brianao34 View Post
                  It's a life changer, the center punch/pin is spring loaded so as soon as you cut through the top sheet metal layer it pushes the layer behind it back a little, if that makes sense.
                  That's brilliant. I've got little holes all over my core support from drilling, etc. Ugh.

Sidenote, I've heard their pipe benders are garbage and more like "tube" benders.

Any experience?

Comment

GOOD

Low profile floor jack. I got a "bad apple" floor jack, returned it for a direct replacement, and this one has operated flawlessly for months.

1000 lb engine stand. At $45 w/ the 20% off coupon, you can't go wrong. Hold up my engines without issue.

Any sockets/extensions/adapters, i.e. anything that you can put on a ratchet wrench. I ONLY buy this stuff from HF, I have yet to have one break or fail in any way.

This specific style of screwdriver (flat and phillips). Best screwdriver I have ever had, and a steal at $2.

Hand sledge. For $8, this thing works great, I always need to bash something on one of my BMWs.

Hand wrenches. Never had a failure, and when on sale, less than a dollar per wrench. Can't go wrong there.

6" digital calipers. At $10 w/ a sale coupon, these work great and have not failed me yet and remain deadly accurate.

In general:
                    Anything from HF is good that is not a power or air tool (with exceptions of course), things like bits, hoses, fittings, hand tools, etc are all great.

BAD

Air saw. Waste of money, it will barely cut through a sheet of paper without binding.

Nitrile gloves. These will disintegrate off of your hands after about ten minutes of handling any sort of oil.

Comment

OP, maybe you should somehow combine all of our posts into your first post so there is a "one stop shop" for HF tool reviews on R3V. Great thread idea btw.

Comment

Good
                        Tire Changer: This is PERFECT for removing old tires for shipping purposes or if you have a set of wheels to refinish. I wouldn't trust myself putting a tire on a wheel I have just refinished just because the tire iron is sure to scratch.

Comment

Pictures are hugeeee too. Any way to resize?

Comment

They're just embedded off HF's site :/

Comment

I trued using the small thumbnail images from HF, but apparently they come over full size...

Comment

Working...
                              X