Need some advice on my truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice on my truck

Ok, Im selling my 2nd gen cummins on craigslist. Guy comes by and sees it and loves it, He puts $1500 down and test drives it. Before the drive I told him the wastegate is not hooked up so dont take it above 35psi boost and dont let the egts get above 1300 (cause shit will start melting). He pulls out and floors it I look over and the egts are pegged at 1500 degrees and the boost pegged at 55psi. I say whoa dude and he holds it there a good 5-10 seconds then says sorry and lets go. Get the truck home everything appears fine. He comes back the next day with his wife and takes her for a ride to convince her to let him buy it. Idk how he drove it with her but at this point I didnt care I had 1500 down so I considered it sold. He gets back they love it, he agrees to bring me the rest of the money in a week.

So after he leaves I see oil gushing down the front end, Im like "fuck turbo blew". NOPE Head gasket completly gone, all the coolant is straight black oil just gushing out of the overflow tank and rad cap. Im pissed at this point, I clean it up flush it and park it. Keep in mind it was fine the day before he drove it the first timem, I didnt drive it once he put money down. I know for a fact that it was fine cause I usually baby the truck since it is my dd and Ive never had an issue.

Key points
    -He has 1500 down
    We agree it is only refundable if I back out or something breaks on the truck
    - I have not told him its blown yet

So do I just let him take it since it is an as is buy and say fuck you you didn't listen your own fault?

Or should I tell him and see what happens? I dont want to have to refund him money and be out a truck cause of this guys ignorance. But there is no real way to prove it was him that blew it (even though I know for sure and I have two people who Know it was fine before). I thought about telling him he did it and I imagine him saying "you are probably trying to sell me a broke truck F U give me back my money"

So what to do?

Honestly, this could go two ways. One, you did warn him and he obviously didn't care what you said. If you tell him now, I guarantee he backs out and gives you crap about the deposit. Best case scenario, he asks for a big chunk off the agreed-upon price (assuming you have one already?)

The other way it could go is you have the deposit and all private sales are assumed to be "as is." If you have a signed bill of sale, it's a done deal. If you don't, well...he might decide to abandon the deposit just to avoid things getting bad.

I hope it works out but I'm afraid that you have more to worry about in this situation than he does.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I made a bill of sale for the down payment which is signed by both of us, also the bill of sale when he pays in full is made up and says 'truck is sold as is no warranty' and will be signed by both of us as well.

Honestly the truck is drivable like this (same thing happened on my brothers truck, didnt over heat just messy) Im just not sure how long it will take him to realize the oil in the coolant.

Comment

with a blown head gasket, I'd be worried about it becoming a runaway.
        2nd gen cummings take no time at all to swap te head gasket. Get one and swap it out for good karma.
        My honest opinion is you shouldn't have let him drive it without the gate hooked up. It's partially both of you guys fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
          with a blown head gasket, I'd be worried about it becoming a runaway.
          2nd gen cummings take no time at all to swap te head gasket. Get one and swap it out for good karma.
          My honest opinion is you shouldn't have let him drive it without the gate hooked up. It's partially both of you guys fault.

Its not hard to keep the boost down, you just dont floor it all the way, Ive towed well over 14k lbs and never had to go above 20psi. The gate doesnt work anyway and I informed him of everything he said ok. I dont have the time to change a gasket right now or I would.

I also thought I could tell him and say I will have a shop fix it but he will need to throw in the amount to fix it on top of the agreed price.

Comment

Just dump some of that HG sealer shit from Napa in it and let 'er eat.

Fuck that guy for not heeding your instructions.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post

Do eeeet!

Comment

this, what a fucking idiot
                2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                (Daily Driver)
                Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                KW V2 Coilovers
                VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

yes

He blatantly disregarded your instructions while on a test drive. You should spend your time gathering evidence that the truck was NOT in that state before the test drive and prepare to show it to him if (when) he bitches about the HG. Use the down payment to fix it if worst comes to worst and he backs out
                  BRUTE

Comment

You break it you buy it.
                    88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
                    We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

I think this is what Im gonna do.

Originally posted by imsotyerred View Post
                      yes

He blatantly disregarded your instructions while on a test drive. You should spend your time gathering evidence that the truck was NOT in that state before the test drive and prepare to show it to him if (when) he bitches about the HG. Use the down payment to fix it if worst comes to worst and he backs out

I dont really have evidnece to show it was fine before, other than my word and the words of people who were there and saw it. I do have a giant puddle of oil sitting in my driveway lol

Comment

Tell him what happened. Tell him why it happened. Tell him what needs to be fixed.

If he backs out or wants to pay less for the truck, take it into small claims court if the deal is that important to you.

Comment

he broke it he bought it. Smile and wave good bye

Comment

yeah what ever happened to you break it you buy it.............................
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

Yeah I know he broke it he bought it.
                              But if you bought a truck, got home an found a blown head gasket and the seller says you did it but cant officially prove you did,
                              what would you do?

Comment

Working...
                              X