Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here is in a Shop,and doesnt get flat rate?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Who here is in a Shop,and doesnt get flat rate?

    So my Temp Job Employment is ending soon. Looks like the Railroad thing isnt gonna stay as they arent hiring at the moment.

    Ive been craving getting back into wrenching,I Just cant stand Flat rate.
    Ive worked from dealers,independents,and even fast chains.

    Personally I prefer the small Independent shop. For the last two years ive been looking off and on and everytime i find a classified add. They want a Master ASE tech who only gets $13 an hour, or flat rate. It seems like they dont wanna train,or pay a fair offer. The last Indepent i worked at he hired me for my suspension/e28 knowledge,and in that time only 2 came in.

    When i went to uti I was on the end of the E46,and Starting the E60/E90.So thats what i worked on. Ive been out of BMW since 2008 so alot of the tricks ive forgotten. In 2009 I Went to work for Firestone,and in two years of employment only 3 BMW's came in,and it was tires or belts.
    stupid stuff.

    Oh and there was a E90 that came in,and it needed new wheel bearings and they gave it to the master tech.

    Ive been told im a strong B or class 2 tech,and Good at Diagnose a problem.

    Id like to stick to one Company and just be good at one brand,but it seems like most bmw specialty shops don't want someone who isnt a master tech already.

    Am i asking to much to be hired on by a BMW shop?


    #2
    You cannot even install BBS RS waffles and caps...why would they hire you?
    ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

    Instagram: @BWeissLeather

    Current cars:
    ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
    ~ '87 535
    ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
    ~ '06 X5 4.8is

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by F34R View Post
      You cannot even install BBS RS waffles and caps...why would they hire you?
      dick comment, but made me laugh a bit. lol
      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 42lb injectors, 14.7 psi, whodwho MS-PNP.
      2009 X5 - DD Duty
      2018 VW Atlas - Wife/kiddie/grocery hauler

      Comment


        #4
        Wow that was a pretty bad burn right there,
        Also shops charge like 60-120 bucks an hour why are you only getting paid 13 an hour
        88 325is Five Speed
        Lachssilber

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
          Wow that was a pretty bad burn right there,
          Also shops charge like 60-120 bucks an hour why are you only getting paid 13 an hour
          To pay for other expenses the shop needs in order to keep the doors open.

          As a independent shop owner all I have to say is good luck. Most shops are still trying to scale back and not really looking to hire. That's just what I hear around my area at the moment. I usually turn down about 3-4 people a week calling about employment. Also, flat rate or his pretty much a staple in most shops.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Mlarsen View Post
            To pay for other expenses the shop needs in order to keep the doors open.

            As a independent shop owner all I have to say is good luck. Most shops are still trying to scale back and not really looking to hire. That's just what I hear around my area at the moment. I usually turn down about 3-4 people a week calling about employment. Also, flat rate or his pretty much a staple in most shops.
            and this is why i could never run my own shop id forget about overhead costs
            88 325is Five Speed
            Lachssilber

            Comment


              #7
              service writer at a euroshop here.. people who don't get flat rate at our shop are
              -big build/motor swap guys
              -parts guy
              -us

              I don't buy that you "forgot" how to work on a bmw, it's like riding a bike, you might suck/be slow at it from the get go but should pick it all back up very quickly.
              Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
                So my Temp Job Employment is ending soon. Looks like the Railroad thing isnt gonna stay as they arent hiring at the moment.

                Ive been craving getting back into wrenching,I Just cant stand Flat rate.
                Ive worked from dealers,independents,and even fast chains.

                Personally I prefer the small Independent shop. For the last two years ive been looking off and on and everytime i find a classified add. They want a Master ASE tech who only gets $13 an hour, or flat rate. It seems like they dont wanna train,or pay a fair offer. The last Indepent i worked at he hired me for my suspension/e28 knowledge,and in that time only 2 came in.

                When i went to uti I was on the end of the E46,and Starting the E60/E90.So thats what i worked on. Ive been out of BMW since 2008 so alot of the tricks ive forgotten. In 2009 I Went to work for Firestone,and in two years of employment only 3 BMW's came in,and it was tires or belts.
                stupid stuff.



                Am i asking to much to be hired on by a BMW shop?
                IMPOSSIBRU!!!

                My dad remembers almost everything about the E30 from over 20 years ago, when he was working for a BMW dealer. I'm talking almost every nut size, all clip locations, etc. I'm sure you know more than you think if you got into it again.

                As for getting picked up by a BMW shop, eh... I know a lot of dealerships in my area basically require a lot of experience or a lot of BMW specific schooling/training.

                You may be better off working at a garage and working towards ASE certs and applying to every shop you can.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Just curious why are you so against flat rate? Seems like you have quite a bit of experience, so was just wondering. Yes, you don't get paid if there aren't cars coming in.

                  I am at the bottom of the chain at a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer getting paid hourly. I ask the techs a lot about flaterate, and the shop is SLOW. Saturadays we have 2 techs on... and we have a 18-20 lift garage. While I never felt the necessity to really ask what they make (nor should I since its personal) but the one tech lives on his own, has 4 cars, still pays for tools, and whatnot. So flat rate can be done to make money.

                  Also, the dealership offers a lot of good benefits, I haven't really had much automotive experience (let alone any independent shop experience) but from what it seems like a lot of the chill shops are taking a huge hit so you wont be hired somewhere making big bucks. I would just get my foot in somewhere that you can get some benefits and enjoy working at, rather then shop around for the highest buck and hope you get the job.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
                    So my Temp Job Employment is ending soon. Looks like the Railroad thing isnt gonna stay as they arent hiring at the moment.

                    Ive been craving getting back into wrenching,I Just cant stand Flat rate.
                    Ive worked from dealers,independents,and even fast chains.

                    Personally I prefer the small Independent shop. For the last two years ive been looking off and on and everytime i find a classified add. They want a Master ASE tech who only gets $13 an hour, or flat rate. It seems like they dont wanna train,or pay a fair offer. The last Indepent i worked at he hired me for my suspension/e28 knowledge,and in that time only 2 came in.

                    When i went to uti I was on the end of the E46,and Starting the E60/E90.So thats what i worked on. Ive been out of BMW since 2008 so alot of the tricks ive forgotten. In 2009 I Went to work for Firestone,and in two years of employment only 3 BMW's came in,and it was tires or belts.
                    stupid stuff.

                    Oh and there was a E90 that came in,and it needed new wheel bearings and they gave it to the master tech.

                    Ive been told im a strong B or class 2 tech,and Good at Diagnose a problem.

                    Id like to stick to one Company and just be good at one brand,but it seems like most bmw specialty shops don't want someone who isnt a master tech already.

                    Am i asking to much to be hired on by a BMW shop?

                    I had a reply started before I stepped away from the computer after lunch. So, I'm replying to this from the standpoint of being the first post, even though I'm quite sure I'm not.

                    So, here goes.


                    UTI has done to the automotive industry what all those Medical Assistant/Dental Technician fly by night schools have done, they have created a glut of "Technicians" in the job force that have caused the value of a tech to go down because of the volume of which are available on the market.


                    With as many "Techs" as there are out there, a shop owner/manager can pick and choose, and take the one that is willing to "bid" for the job at the lowest flat/flag rate out of the huge pile of applicants.

                    It also makes it easy when the person coming to take the job supplies their own tools. So, you really have the option to bring a person in for a week, test them out, and then on Friday tell them to push their rollcab out and load it up, it didn't work, and I've got a guy coming in Monday to put his box where yours was, and he will do it for .50/hr less flag time.

                    There are so many glorified parts installers available, and so few mechanics on the market. Sure, there are some skills in the people walking in the door, but I know, and have worked with so many guys that are on their way out the door, ready to retire that I couldn't have replaced with 3 youngsters.

                    We have really, in the automotive field gone from techs to folks that have the solution of "replace the module", whether that be a fuel pump ass'y, a transmission in a factory supplied black plastic box, or an entire longblock. The reason is because the manufacturers have realized they will make more money on selling big ticket parts that just can't be overhauled/rebuilt.

                    Most of the young guys I've had the pleasure of being the boss of, don't even realize how to pull apart an alternator/starter and pop in new brushes, or how to reseal a P/S pump, or rebuild an axle. The reason being the above mentioned, "assembly" parts.

                    The dealers knew they would make more money on the part, and could hire a lower wage employee to simply swap out the entire unit as opposed to diagnosing the specific issue and resolving the problem.

                    So, now I'll refresh, read the thread, and reply again if needed.

                    Signed,

                    Guy with 15 years in the industry, and owner of his own shop/one man show

                    Comment


                      #11
                      [quote=Farbin Kaibe

                      great post!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Owner of tractor/trailer repair shop. We are not a flat rate shop, rate of pay varies from $14 hr for green tech to $27hr for a talented guy. Maybe a bit more for someone really good. We also offer a 401k with 3% match, health insurance is an HSA plan ( I pay for employee only, not family). We are competitive with other local shops, including the dealers in my area. I employ five techs not including myself, a service writer and a part time book keeper. Heavy truck and trailer repair isn't very glorious but it is very steady. Trucks are always moving freight and always breaking down, they have to get fixed.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Great thread!
                          - Trey

                          E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
                          E36 325i sedan
                          E30 325i sedan
                          Volvo 945T

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I am a tech in a shop, I have been in the industry 8 years. I am a UTI grad, I'm not proud of it, but I'm not ashamed either. Everything Karbin said is pretty much true.

                            I feel like there are so many aspects of this industry that are progressively getting worse. I feel like everything being produced car wise is complete shit. They have all been designed to last till the end of the warranty, and be traded in and destroyed. When they find a problem they put out a bulletin that essentially delays your car from ever actually being repaired, then the warranty expires and you should trade it in. I can't tell you why for the life of me why NOTHING comes with a dipstick! Its all needlessly over complicated, but not better.
                            Les Schwab, Firestone, Jiffy Lube etc, set up every customer to think that they can all wait, and cars are easy to fix. Everyone wants a loaner, they all feel entitled like they spent "X" amount they should get something for free.
                            Kids from tech schools can barely be trusted with Ikea furniture much less a car. Not only that but they are lazy! These kids don't like working hard and fucking bitch and moan about everything. They are all a bunch of princesses, who won't buy their own goddamn tools. I have kids that complain about not getting any harder jobs, but I can't get them to complete an oil change without getting a comeback.

                            I've found you can make a good living at the dealer and at an independent. The dealer has much less expectations of you than an independent, but generally my experience with independents is that they tend to know your name and actually care about you.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by gkobez View Post
                              I am a tech in a shop, I have been in the industry 8 years. I am a UTI grad, I'm not proud of it, but I'm not ashamed either. Everything Karbin said is pretty much true.

                              I feel like there are so many aspects of this industry that are progressively getting worse. I feel like everything being produced car wise is complete shit. They have all been designed to last till the end of the warranty, and be traded in and destroyed. When they find a problem they put out a bulletin that essentially delays your car from ever actually being repaired, then the warranty expires and you should trade it in. I can't tell you why for the life of me why NOTHING comes with a dipstick! Its all needlessly over complicated, but not better.
                              Les Schwab, Firestone, Jiffy Lube etc, set up every customer to think that they can all wait, and cars are easy to fix. Everyone wants a loaner, they all feel entitled like they spent "X" amount they should get something for free.
                              Kids from tech schools can barely be trusted with Ikea furniture much less a car. Not only that but they are lazy! These kids don't like working hard and fucking bitch and moan about everything. They are all a bunch of princesses, who won't buy their own goddamn tools. I have kids that complain about not getting any harder jobs, but I can't get them to complete an oil change without getting a comeback.

                              I've found you can make a good living at the dealer and at an independent. The dealer has much less expectations of you than an independent, but generally my experience with independents is that they tend to know your name and actually care about you.
                              +1
                              Im a year and a half in at hyundai.
                              No formal school, but ive learned alot.
                              Have done hyundai school and now motivated to become ase certified. Flat rate can suck but if you know how to work it you can make a decent living. I have benefits as well.
                              Deff true about tsb and campaign, warranty paid jobs are super underpaid but something is better than nothing. Only component I've taken apart and fixed is a starter, there's a tsb to replace the plastic arm. Everyrhing else is as they said, replace.

                              Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X