Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here is in a Shop,and doesnt get flat rate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
    Oh and there was a E90 that came in,and it needed new wheel bearings and they gave it to the master tech.

That was probably a good idea
    ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

Flat rate at a busy shop is awesome. My first year flat-rate with Toyota I could pull 70 hours a week no problem. Then the next year it was 55 or so, last year I was there I would call 50 hrs a good week. Winter time I sometimes struggled to hit 40. One week I flagged 30 hours, but the guy working in the bay next too me only got 8! The shop and the industry in general where so damn slow we had airsoft wars when nothing was there to work on.

Right before I left Toyota started the Taco frame recall, which you could turn out 3 in 2 weeks time no problem, but it was too inconsistent so I got out of the industry.

Granted I as only 23 at the time, and I didn't have the "experience" but I was good. ASE certified (Which I think is a fucking joke) Toyota master, Never backflagged. I know alot of guys who have 15-20 years in the field and they're pulling pulling 55k a year if they're lucky. I only work 4 days a week, get 3.5-4 hours of OT and make that much driving a goddamn forklift.

Originally posted by gkobez View Post
      Kids from tech schools can barely be trusted with Ikea furniture much less a car.
      lol, qft

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
        We have really, in the automotive field gone from techs to folks that have the solution of "replace the module", whether that be a fuel pump ass'y, a transmission in a factory supplied black plastic box, or an entire longblock. The reason is because the manufacturers have realized they will make more money on selling big ticket parts that just can't be overhauled/rebuilt.

Most of the young guys I've had the pleasure of being the boss of, don't even realize how to pull apart an alternator/starter and pop in new brushes, or how to reseal a P/S pump, or rebuild an axle. The reason being the above mentioned, "assembly" parts.

The dealers knew they would make more money on the part, and could hire a lower wage employee to simply swap out the entire unit as opposed to diagnosing the specific issue and resolving the problem.
        Not 100% true. At the dealership I am at, we have 6 lifts, and 6 mechanics (very mall dealership). The hourly rate for a mechanic at a BMW dealer here is about 160 dollars an hour. Now it isn't really worth pulling a 20 dollar pump apart and repairing that for an hour (and holding up a lift than can be producing money)- where you still have a used pump that will/probably fail again (that you will also need to warranty.)
        I know what your saying about crappy "mechanics" that can't diagnose anything though!!!!!!
        Here in Germany, you find a dealership that will let you work as an apprentice for 4 years- go to school 1 week a month for those 4 years, then when you are done, if you are worth a crap and have learned anything- you will be kept.

At my work place I get a salary, plus a % from the work I accomplish, and at the dealership I'm at it is expected that you put out a minimum of 110% productivity

btw, e28 suspension knowledge isn't very complicated, and won't get you hired anywhere with real money, and if you know e60s, F models haven't changed the game up that much. I also see it as, if you need to go around and look for a job that there are advertisements for, it is probably not worth going there...

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
          btw, e28 suspension knowledge isn't very complicated, and won't get you hired anywhere with real money, and if you know e60s, F models haven't changed the game up that much. I also see it as, if you need to go around and look for a job that there are advertisements for, it is probably not worth going there...
          Not just E28 suspension. Suspension In general. From Cars to lifted trucks
          Every shop ive worked in ive been the best Alignment/suspension tech there.

Comment

I landed a Job at an awesome Euro shop here in RI.

While my pay isint great I have access to the shop anytime I need it. I'm also getting paid to do things like do an M62 Swap into an E30 M3. So I guess I can't complain to heavily, but I do feel like I could be making better pay elsewhere .

Might look into working at A BMW/Mercedes Dealer in good time .

I feel like being a tech ill never be able to live as comfortable as I want to . The guys who deliver parts to us make more money then we do.
            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Yeesh, it's rough out there wrenching on cars by the sounds of it. I think Farbin hit it on the head regarding the tech schools too.

I've been letting my master certs and inspection licenses sit around and collect dust. Anybody making good money working on cars and still enjoying it?
              -Dave
              2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Working...
              X