R3v Wristwatch Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    sounds like it needs to go to the watch maker for a general service and a regulation....... Looks like a little TLC and you have a very nice vintage time piece there, the band looks to be more form the 70's era, and seems to be more of a aftermarket type but then I know next to nothing about vintage bulova's and it may have come with a Speidel as new. Looks like a great buy for 56 bucks though congrats and enjoy it

I like the anitmagnetic feature though, very few watches even from that time have such a cool feature of a heavy iron inner case to shield the movement form High E/M fields that could affect accuracy. Not many modern companies make such autos, other than Rolex with their Milgaus and the Ball engineer models... My g-pa's stolen Omega Railmaster was one of the better shielded movement watches made in the late 50's as well for those working in power plants, the electric locomotives and scientific research
    The Model 23 was not a cheap watch to say the least. here is an ad I found on a Bulova site.

$175 in '54 was big $ back then.
    This ad has a model 23 with what looks like a similar metal band.

Another ad from '56 again showing a metal band that might be like mine.

Also from '56

It could be a normal Model 23 as seen here

or a 23A as seen here based on the face.

I'm not entirely sure what year my watch was made, it might be a frankenwatch with the wrong band, and wrong back, but I don't know for sure. I'll let the people who know these ID it and go from there.

I agree, its a nice watch and if I can find someone to give it a good cleaning and adjusting, it will be sweet. I paid $50 for it, ($6 shipping) all the others on ebay that are in comparable shape are going for upwards of $150.

Will
    '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
    '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
    '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by jwalther View Post
      These three at the moment (I buy and sell as a hobby-probably flipped a hundred or more in the last few years).

Omega Ti SMP.

My dress watch, a mid 50s Universal Geneve Polerouter.

Omega Speedmaster, the "moon watch."

Beautiful. My next purchase will be an Omega.
      PNW Crew
      90 m3
      06 m5

Comment

will: yeah it was a a lot of money back in the 50's 175 bucks in 54 translates to about 1550 bucks today Bulova was a great quality brand back then for sure, I think there were even a couple taken up on Apollo missions though as unsanctioned unauthorized personal effects of a couple of astronauts
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          will: yeah it was a a lot of money back in the 50's 175 bucks in 54 translates to about 1550 bucks today Bulova was a great quality brand back then for sure, I think there were even a couple taken up on Apollo missions though as unsanctioned unauthorized personal effects of a couple of astronauts
          If I remember correctly, its a Bulova Accutron movement that is part of the Astro Navigation system in both the Lockheed A12 and SR-71. It doesn't surprise me at all that a Bulova or two made it to space.

I'm probably looking at $100 or so to have this thing serviced, but even so, I'll still be ahead. I wish I knew if the band was original, I don't really like it. Still, if its the correct band I'll leave it on.

Will
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

New G-Shock for work since I can't wear my Swiss pieces when bashing metal. Really starting to enjoy G-Shock's, they're filling my craving for new additions at about 1/25th the cost of other watches I like.

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
              New G-Shock for work since I can't wear my Swiss pieces when bashing metal. Really starting to enjoy G-Shock's, they're filling my craving for new additions at about 1/25th the cost of other watches I like.

That one is badass, I love the grabber green hands.

Been rocking G-Shocks for the last 15 or so years, I'm only on my 3rd one. You can't kill them.

Comment

Comment

I REALLY like that one^
                  ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                  ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                  ~ '87 535
                  ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                  ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Looks like my Bulova 23 is a bit of a Frankenstein watch. The case is not original. I did find the year mark and its a 1955. I'm kinda bummed but at the same time its still a nice looking watch.

Will
                    '88 BMW M3

Comment

Looking at moving into a shinola here in the next couple months maybe. Love the made in detroit aspect and they have some good looking pieces.
                      2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

^

Looks like all the have a quartz watches, and if your going to spend that kinda money on a small maker I would want mechanical

that said pick up any plethora of nice Auto Seiko's and send them to these guys (also in Detroit) to mod it out to your liking. The do all kinds of cool shit from custom finishes on the case to custom Dial and lume work. I have not had them do anything personally but have seen some of their work all over the interweb. seem to come highly recommended

Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Nothing special..my Invicta model # 1005

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
                            I REALLY like that one^

LumiNox Atacama Field 1921.BO

Comment

My Suunto Core Military watch been using the same battery since I got it back in DEC '11. As a crewchief it helped to get my bearings when we would be fired upon I could give them a direction (north, east, south, etc) and it has a large display so I could read the timer for my fuel checks. And it looks cool haha
                              '91 318is w/ M50B25TU

Comment

I got this Kelton the other day, I guess it is owned by Timex. It is a wind up, I am guessing the date is around 60s or so. It keeps perfect time and is super quiet. I do not know how many jewels it is, I was thinking of getting it cleaned and polished. My other two watches are also nothing special, just Timex weekenders. Great daily watches, one day I want to invest in a really nice mid grade watch.

~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                                ~ '87 535
                                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Working...
                                X