To Ship Or Not: A Potential E30 Cross Country Voyage

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ainadude
    replied
    Originally posted by ///M42 sport
    highway driving puts the least stress on car... drive it
    ^ This ... plus, as others have pointed out, it's potentially a great adventure. Granted, you're not apt to save much money versus flat-bedding it (given gas, oil, lodgings and food along the way), but there's no reason not to make the trip on your own if your maintenance is up to date, tires and brakes are good, etc. Could be four or five of the most memorable days of your life.

    That said (again, as others have noted), you need to be prepared for the worst. Given that you'd be doing the trip in November, cold weather is your main worry. Bring plenty of drinking water, energy bars, a good warm coat/hat/gloves/snow boots, a sleeping bag/blankets sufficient for subzero temps at night, auto cell phone charger, printed maps, etc. Contact info for r3v members along the route wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Sounds like a long list, but much better to have and not need.

    I did a similar (but shorter) trip three years ago, driving my 325is from Las Vegas to Kansas City. Brought all of the above but wished I had a warmer sleeping bag when the highway patrol closed the Interstate in the middle of the night due to icing. Had to bundle up in the car and was afraid to fall asleep without running the heater (and I was low on gas). Trust me, it gets chilly in Midwest/Mountain states in the middle of the night!

    Finally, not a bad idea to try to gas up whenever your tank hits the halfway mark. Again, plan for the worst. If you get tired, it's easy to take the wrong exit and get lost, at which point you may have a hard time finding a station out in the boonies, at which point your epic adventure can become the stuff of direct-to-video slasher content.

    Anyway, take the plunge and see the country you live in. This may be your only chance.

    Leave a comment:


  • MikeDE
    replied
    Keep it and drive it. An e30 with a history like that is a keeper. I sold my M42 Touring and regret it, even though I am looking at buying it back, it's not the same.

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    Road Trip.

    The answer is always Road Trip.

    Leave a comment:


  • thatphysicsguy
    replied
    I just drove from southern California to upstate new york last week. Only thing I had to do along the way was top up the oil once!

    I did a major engine maintenance beforehand, but it is definitely possible and very much enjoyable! Just make sure to have extras just in case along with contacts for help along the way and you'll be fine!

    Leave a comment:


  • TFJR
    replied
    Originally posted by ethirtydavid
    sell it! buy and drive a geo metro back!!
    Definitely the route I'm going! ;)

    Thanks for everyone's reply. If I have enough time I'm going to do the drive!

    Leave a comment:


  • shameson
    replied
    Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
    keep it drive it across the country have a story to tell your grandkids,and great memories, if you need help e30s are simple and parts aren't hard to find, and there are R3V guys across the US willing to help
    This.

    If there's ever an issue, I know there will r3v'rs in the area to supply parts, a roof or to share a cold beer with

    Leave a comment:


  • ethirtydavid
    replied
    ^ agree with all.

    on the other hand.... sell it! buy and drive a geo metro back!!

    Leave a comment:


  • RobE30
    replied
    Drive it and take pictures of your adventures

    Leave a comment:


  • dereliiict
    replied
    I plan on making a cross country trip in mine. Do it.

    Leave a comment:


  • SubDad
    replied
    No question. Drive it.

    Leave a comment:


  • GillesBigCowboy
    replied
    The car was made to be driven. This type of opportunity is not common.

    Leave a comment:


  • ///M42 sport
    replied
    highway driving puts the least stress on car... drive it

    Leave a comment:


  • emerson.
    replied
    Originally posted by TurboJake
    Don't think, just do it
    this.

    did the same this with my motorcycle. 30yr old bike, 40k miles. basically changed the oil and left. made the 1000mi round trip to green bay and had the time of my life. cant wait to do it again

    Leave a comment:


  • rturbo 930
    replied
    Drive it.

    Leave a comment:


  • mrsleeve
    replied
    Drive it, I drove mine form MI to MT after it sat all winter and only had about 30 miles on it after getting it all put back together. Nearly issue free other than a minor tossed belt and slight over heat in SD on the 1st 85 degree day of the year..........

    Leave a comment:

Working...