Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Got an RP Machine And Want to Help Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Got an RP Machine And Want to Help Me?

I am FINALLY in a place in life where I have some time to mess around with my FX-R headlight retrofit project again, and I was wondering if anyone has access to a rapid prototyping machine that I might be able to get some parts from? The part is more or less going to be this thing, which is ~5" in diameter.

Build is here:

I understand that the material isn't free and I am fine with offering compensation. The online RP services that I looked into were more $ than I was willing to put into this project since I will probably go through 1-2 iterations of this. They will be solely for test-fitting the projector housings, so there's no concern about structural or environmental stability. The final articles will be billet aluminum.

Thanks!

Transaction Feedback: LINK

did you try redeye? they have a online quote system where you just upload the file to them. Can just see price before you buy.
    "I wanna see da boat movie"
    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

I haven't tried them yet, so I'll see what they quote me at. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah, still $150 for a one-off at redeye. That's about what I get hit with everywhere. Maybe I'll have to stick with foam-core and an X-Acto knife for the prototypes and then hope that it's close enough that the machine parts work.

Comment

Join TechShop in San Jose for a day or so and bust out your own design on their machines.

http://www.techshop.ws/

Or contact Rick at BT Laser. 425 Reed St Santa Clara or San Jose Ca
          his email is

rick@btlaser.net

Very helpful and knowledgeable guy. I am having him laserjet some stuff for me soon.
          They do laserjet and waterjet.
          Last edited by e30vert; 09-04-2013, 04:09 PM.

Comment

There is a tech shop in downtown San Francisco as well.

Comment

R3vlimited member 'newman' has the very machine you're looking for.

A few licks of his Tootsie Pop and I'm sure you two will be square.
              -OVULATOR (as named by jflip2002)

Past Cars: Schwarz 1990 325i-2 (crashed), Calypsorot 1991 325i-2 Sport (rear ended)
              Now: Blake-stitched mediocrity :(

Comment

Alrighty, I found a place that does 1-off's at a reasonable price. It's called Shapeways. They basically charge per cubic centimeter of material with minimal extra fees. I put together a material-minimized version of the bracket in Pro/E and it cost me $40 shipped. Lead time is like a week, but that's fine. It is more of a 3D art printing service site, but since I am only looking for something that beats poster board, it'll be A-OK.

Comment

So Newman's tootsie pop is going to stay dry? :p

Comment

yeah 3d print shit is expensive but way cheaper then milling it
                    "I wanna see da boat movie"
                    "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Awesome project. Just a thought (haven't gone through the 6 pages) - Once you have the proto, check youtube on making molten alu molds. There are guys that have built small engines, although in the project I watched, the guy had a lathe. I think you could get away with rotational sanding on the two faces if the mold is close, since I think you're not dealing with thousandths in percision. The rest will have that cast aluminum look, but milling them would probably be way expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by e30vert View Post
                        So Newman's tootsie pop is going to stay dry? :p
                        It would seem so. Maybe if he threw in an ice cream cone with the 3D print I'd consider, but no ice cream = no homo.

Originally posted by Thizzelle View Post
                        yeah 3d print shit is expensive but way cheaper then milling it
                        Word

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                        Awesome project. Just a thought (haven't gone through the 6 pages) - Once you have the proto, check youtube on making molten alu molds. There are guys that have built small engines, although in the project I watched, the guy had a lathe. I think you could get away with rotational sanding on the two faces if the mold is close, since I think you're not dealing with thousandths in percision. The rest will have that cast aluminum look, but milling them would probably be way expensive.
                        I have definitely thought about scaling up the model by 3-6%, adding some drafts and then casting the part. Since I have access to a Bridgeport, I will probably just mill the parts myself. It's slow, but sort of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
                          It would seem so. Maybe if he threw in an ice cream cone with the 3D print I'd consider, but no ice cream = no homo.
                          Damn.
                          -OVULATOR (as named by jflip2002)

Past Cars: Schwarz 1990 325i-2 (crashed), Calypsorot 1991 325i-2 Sport (rear ended)
                          Now: Blake-stitched mediocrity :(

Comment

Originally posted by Optimator View Post
                            Damn.
                            I drive a hard bargain, I know.

Comment

Working...
                            X