Learn me on Type 1 Beetles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learn me on Type 1 Beetles.

So I've sold my e30 and I really want another project car. A guy local to me has a 1973 beetle in an off white color. It's been daily driven on nice days and kept in a garage all year round. I know the aftermarket is pretty damn large for these things, but I'm looking for some tips and what to look for when I go check it out on Monday. Thanks!
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by Wh33lhop
    VANOS: sometimes you just need to go full retard.

I fyou want something that will have a decent resale buy a 67 or older
    the body style of the 73 was mad in mexico until like 2002 and they look kinda blah

Comment

68 and later are often referred to as 'fat chicks'. Purists hate them, while 99.9% of the world couldn't tell the difference.

Comment

If you want to have fun, look into the type 4 engine conversion, or a Subaru engine conversion. Both are extremely well documented.

Comment

Since it is a large metal, check the body metal, inside and out, around and underneath the crescent vents behind the rear side windows. The panels were filled with open cell foam that rusts from the inside out.

Comment

After that, check the floor pans and heater channels (the equivalent of rocker panels) for rust. Beyond that, issues are pretty easy and cheap to repair. I have had a few beetles, and daily drove a 73 super for a few years, until rust sidelined the car.

Comment

Check out thesamba.com forum if you haven't already.
              Avoid Chinese/Brazilian parts and get German or nos whenever possible, and have fun!
              I would love to get another bug someday, but for now my bus and e30 eat up all of my car funds.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                I fyou want something that will have a decent resale buy a 67 or older
                the body style of the 73 was mad in mexico until like 2002 and they look kinda blah
                Yeah I've noticed the "pre facelift" cars are more desireable, only reason I'm interested in this one is the cleanliness of it. Also noticed that the super beetles come with IRS and mcpherson struts up front, a big plus for me.
                Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                68 and later are often referred to as 'fat chicks'. Purists hate them, while 99.9% of the world couldn't tell the difference.
                If you want to have fun, look into the type 4 engine conversion, or a Subaru engine conversion. Both are extremely well documented.
                Since it is a large metal, check the body metal, inside and out, around and underneath the crescent vents behind the rear side windows. The panels were filled with open cell foam that rusts from the inside out.
                After that, check the floor pans and heater channels (the equivalent of rocker panels) for rust. Beyond that, issues are pretty easy and cheap to repair. I have had a few beetles, and daily drove a 73 super for a few years, until rust sidelined the car.
                Check out thesamba.com forum if you haven't already.
                Avoid Chinese/Brazilian parts and get German or nos whenever possible, and have fun!
                I would love to get another bug someday, but for now my bus and e30 eat up all of my car funds.
                Thanks so much! I've googled the type 4 conversion and it sounds perfect, The amount of engine upgrades for these cars is unreal, and the prices are dirt cheap!!!
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

All later beetles have IRS. It's actually fairly similar to the e30 design (except it uses lateral torsion bars and not coil springs).

Also, if you are going type 4, I strongly recommend the 76+ l-jetronic fuel injection over carbs. Not much love in the vw works (they love their webers), but it is a simple system that works great, and can be had for cheap.

And seriously, avoid the cheap parts. I have had rubber pieces, gaskets, trim, etc, dry rot and split within a year, and metal pieces rust through in less time. It is always better to find now or usable OE rather than Chinese repro.

Comment

early bugs are much more sought after. Large metal flares and just a better look overall.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

And the absolute first upgrade make would be disc brakes in the front, and quality shoes in the back. I could easily lock all 4 wheels my bug with upgraded brakes. The stock brakes are inadequate if any performance upgrades are made.

Comment

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I love my e30, but aircooled VW's are my original passion.

Comment

Are you looking at a super beetle? 73 supers had the curved windshield, which help make them look a bit more modern if you do the 'German look' route.

Comment

Inspiration: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=213366

Comment

And seriously, avoid the cheap parts. I have had rubber pieces, gaskets, trim, etc, dry rot and split within a year, and metal pieces rust through in less time. It is always better to find now or usable OE rather than Chinese repro.
                              No cheap parts for me, The quality ones aren't even that expensive to begin with.

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                              early bugs are much more sought after. Large metal flares and just a better look overall.
                              From what I've read, the larger metal flares are transferable.
                              Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. I love my e30, but aircooled VW's are my original passion.
                              DROOOOOL!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X