Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"coin" debit/credit/gift card.

who's gonna get one?
    i'm tempted, it seems to damn awesome/baller/convenient.

i wonder what powers it, and how long the life of the battery is.

That certainly does look convenient.

Comment

Yea, I am not going to let another 3rd party company have all my financial card numbers.
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
        Yea, I am not going to let another 3rd party company have all my financial card numbers.
        Yep, this is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe if some one with a little more history did it such as visa or amex. How do I charge it?

Comment

Battery life is estimated at 2 years, if you swipe/change the selected card of use somewhere around 20x a day.
          When the battery goes bad, you must replace the card. There is no "recharge."
          Below the radar...

Comment

It just seems like a convenient one stop shop for criminals and other would be ne'er-do-wells.

Comment

I don't believe company "Coin" actually holds any of your card information? They validate it through the app on your phone, and everything is stored on the Coin/your Cell phone.
              Below the radar...

Comment

I preordered one a while ago. I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Comment

Their website has a lot more info. It only works if it is within 25 feet of your phone. If it loses connection for your phone, it deactivates and becomes unusable until your phone is in range again.

They also don't store any card info on their servers, it's all stored on the card.

Thing is, it's $100.

Comment

This is dumb. If you can't keep track or manage a wallet with credit cards, you shouldn't be allowed out of the house.
                    Yours truly,
                    Rich
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by Rigmaster
                    you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

what happens when your in a out of service area for your phone and need to make a purchase. I am assuming the phone needs to be connected to the internet to make this all happen right
                      Originally posted by Fusion
                      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                      William Pitt-

Comment

I still skeptical then there is this

Coin's splashy launch grabbed lots of press -- but the digital credit card has several big issues that could keep it from being a mainstream success.
                        Originally posted by blunttech
                        Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
                        :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                          This is dumb. If you can't keep track or manage a wallet with credit cards, you shouldn't be allowed out of the house.
                          Truth

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

The FUD is strong in this thread.

Reposted from a user on my local forum who pre-ordered one:
                            Originally posted by Coin confirmation email
                            • You will be able to reactivate your Coin even if your phone is dead by tapping in a "Morse-code-like" password using the button
                            • Coin will track how many times your card is being swiped and tell you if someone is using it when it isn't near you
                            • Coin can "auto-lock" based on proximity such that you can swipe, but cannot change the card that is selected -- so a waiter or waitress can't accidentally switch your payment method when you pay your bill
                            There are EMV concerns though:

Originally posted by SJT
                            Originally posted by Coin Website
                            Customers located outside of the U.S.: Coin does not support EMV yet. If the country you live it requires it we recommend holding off your purchase for now.
                            All the major card brands will be standardized on it by the end of 2015 in the US, I'd wait until they can handle this very critical tech. I believe that this is what is killing [Google] wallet as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV#United_States
                            Wallet/NFC was supposed to be the next hotness, though that doesn't seem as likely as it was a year ago.
                            Originally posted by kronus
                            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

There was a good article somewhere recently that focused on the overlying problem with technology startups. 99% are creating solutions for problems that don't exist.

This seems like the best example.
                              Back to my roots

Comment

Working...
                              X