Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I can I think I can (AKA Locomotive thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When it doesn't have a short to ground, this guy pumps out 4,000 amps or so under full load.

But now we are tracking down a ground, and it isn't looking good for the generator.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

^^^ Always keep one hand in your pocket!

Comment

This is where the magic happens. Going to be buried in a wiring schematic today. 480v contactor isn't picking up. (Powers the lights, HVAC, ect. on the coach cars.) This is actually the main cabinet, there's a few more in the back for the circuit im concerned with today. But I opened it all up and thought of this thread.

Found my home on the Railroad I think. Been over 2 years now and I actually look forward to going to work every day.
        No E30 Club
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Damn man you gotta update more. This is amazing. I love trains.

--Mike
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
            Since I got a good phone with a decent camera, I thought I'd share my big turbo.

My hand for size reference. (I have big hands)

Chuggachugga
            Almost 2 years and I finally take a photo to go with this.

What's that in the dark?

Let's get a closer to look.

And for size reference, here's my big ass hand.

How many psi do you run? All of them.

All buttoned back up with new filters. These things are about 4x1 foot, and about 6 inches wide at the turbo inlet. Lots and lots of surface area for 20,000ft lbs worth of air.
            No E30 Club

Comment

Moving on up! Life cycle maintenance program is going now. We are waiting for a new facility to be built, so in the mean time we are stuck outside.

Anywho, pretty cool gig. I'm happy to be doing real engine work again!

Top deck overhaul, every 10,000 hours we replace the heads. Next time I believe it's a full overhaul.
              No E30 Club

Comment

^^ that stuff is so cool. Does it have built-in hoist and bridge crane inside?

This happened in western Montana yesterday, out in the sticks. BNSF locomotives on Montana Rail Link tracks. Paper says they were lucky it didn't catch the forest on fire.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fire.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	7188062

"Heavy smoke and then flames were showing and were easily visible from Interstate 90 when firefighters arrived. Two crew members separated the locomotives from the rest of the train, Holtz said, "but with the diesel electric it was a little tricky making sure everything was shut down.”

It was roughly 40 minutes before the diesel pumps could be turned off and the fire dissipated enough to get water on it. After that it was extinguished within 10 minutes."

Comment

Damn, probably a blown turbo. Once the turbo seals go, the engine will just continue to run on oil until the supply runs dry or is cut off. Problem is, who the fuck wants to approach a 4000+ HP diesel that's revving it's ass off?

The overhead you see there is something that was setup specifically for this project, we've got 20 engines to do so it's designed to be easily setup and removed.
                  No E30 Club

Comment

i wonder if that locomotive will get scraped or rebuilt?
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                      Damn, probably a blown turbo. Once the turbo seals go, the engine will just continue to run on oil until the supply runs dry or is cut off. Problem is, who the fuck wants to approach a 4000+ HP diesel that's revving it's ass off?

The overhead you see there is something that was setup specifically for this project, we've got 20 engines to do so it's designed to be easily setup and removed.

I remember one orientation for my school. We had a diesel tech come over and talk with use apparently when he first started. They had an old Detroit motor that decided to run away. It got revved it self so high it went boom on the motor stand it sat on in the shop and to this day you can see chips in the concrete wall from where parts of the block/rods and pistons hit. That fucker exploded on the running stand.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I looked after the 6-71 on a commercial Fishing boat I worked on off the BC Alaska coast and will never forget being told what happens when they run away. Rings wear and they start sucking motor oil so shutting off the fuel does nothing. Cut off the air or wait wil it burns through the motor oil and seizes.

You don't want to hear about the guy who put his hand over the intake to stop it...nothing like a ships engine room to make a guy feel at home
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                          I looked after the 6-71 on a commercial Fishing boat I worked on off the BC Alaska coast and will never forget being told what happens when they run away. Rings wear and they start sucking motor oil so shutting off the fuel does nothing. Cut off the air or wait wil it burns through the motor oil and seizes.

You don't want to hear about the guy who put his hand over the intake to stop it...nothing like a ships engine room to make a guy feel at home

In what world did that retard think putting his hand over the intake was a good idea.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                            i wonder if that locomotive will get scraped or rebuilt?
                            BN has a couple thousand mothballed Loco's just outside of Tuscon, I am betting this will end up there and scavenged....

The old 2 stroke Detroits used to run away a lot if you smashed the go lever/pedal because the the linkage at the end of the fuel rack would get hung up on the far side of one of the intake bolts on the 6v's and 8v's anyway.
                            Last edited by mrsleeve; 08-13-2016, 02:11 AM.
                            Originally posted by Fusion
                            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                            William Pitt-

Comment

As I recall it the 710 was based on the 645 was based on the 567 was based on the old Winton 201 on the 1930s.Detroit didn't influence the design of the 201/201A as those were designed by the Winton company before GM's Diesel Division was formed and ought out Winton for use of their motors in the earliest EMC (predecessor to EMD) switchers.

I too work for the railroad, though no longer in mechanical. As reliable as EMDs can be (stay away from anything built after the last version of the 645), I tend to favor the four stroke ALCOs that a few diehard railroads still run, about 40-50 year since the last new one rolled off the assembly line.

OP, how is it working for VRE?
                              sigpic

Velocity Motor Works

1972 2002
                              1983 533is
                              1987 325is (Roxanne)
                              1988 M6
                              1989 M3
                              1989 325ix (Darth Maul)

Gone: 1974 2002, 1984 318i , 1985 318i, 1988 325ix Sedan, 1988 325ix Coupe, 1991 318is, 1991 318i, 1994 525iT, 1995 325is, 1996 M3 Coupe, 1997 328is, 2001 325i, 2001 Z3 2.5i, 2001 330i, 2001 525iT, 2006 F-250 SD and more...

Comment

Whelps......I wanna work on trains.

Got a niiiiice lil peak inside one the other day. I'm enthralled. They look like a blast to work on.
                                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                                X