Daily driver thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily driver thread

I know this has been asked thousands of times, but I really trust you guys and would love some input on a good daily driver.

I am a full-time college student that also works 30-40 hours a week, and I drive 500+ miles a week. I currently drive a mkiv(2002) jetta wagon tdi, but it isn't holding up too well and constantly letting me down with various problems. Plus it's just giving me the worst luck. I find myself fixing some stupid problem every week and can't keep up anymore. I think I either got a real 'lemon' or a VW is really plagued with issues after it hits 150k on the body.

This is where I need you guys, what are your recommendations for a decent reliable car that's 2006+ (or even new) for up to about 18kish?

I was thinking an 07+ WRX, but the gas mileage is real bad to what I'm used to.

Yes. I know I should buy an E30.

1991 318is -> 2004 R32 -> 2002 Jetta TDI -> 2014 FiST

No E30 Club

You shouldn't have that many issues with that model TDI. I know the auto's were finicky but those seems to hold up damn good.

My bet would be to go and take it to a shop and let it get a full service and inspection. You won't find anything with better mileage and as reliable. You'll also spend less keeping what you have up than buying something else.

Comment

+1 ^ VW TDI is amazing for those MPG's, see what's up with yours right now and if it's no good then get another VW TDI! my $.02

Comment

Mine was a swap car, it has a PD engine out of an '04. It's a 5speed also.

I probably spent 3k in the past year just maintaining the thing. Sure I save a bit on gas but even my 91' 318is wasn't this finicky with problems and I had a similar commute.

Oh, it also has 215k+ on the engine, and burns oil like it's job.
        Last edited by alB5; 02-03-2014, 12:20 PM.

No E30 Club

Comment

I just bought a 98 subaru legacy, thing has 178k on the clock but it purrs like a kitten. Granted the PO took extremely good care of it for the last 12 years he has had it, but I'm very impressed at how solid it still feels.
          I like cats.

Comment

Flame suit on. What about a Civic? You could find a decent Si for that much.
            91 318is M50 swapped
            05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

The days of good TDi engines are long gone (<-'04). New TDi engines require maintenance that just about equals what you save on fuel compared to a similar gas version.
              Stupid expensive injectors etc.

But I have no idea what I'd recommend. Maybe a pre 2005 VW with the 1.6 8V 102HP engine. Those are pretty bulletproof and easy to maintain.

Comment

TDI or Mazda Skyactiv.

I have a Skyactiv as a DD, mileage is amazing, creature comforts galore.

do recommend.
                Originally posted by flyboyx
                i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

I bought a 2012 GTi with a 7 year 100k mile aftermarket warranty.

Love it.

Comment

04 Evo Mr.

Comment

anything is reliable if you take care of it. yes, you can thanks me later
                      "I wanna see da boat movie"
                      "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post
                        TDI or Mazda Skyactiv.

I have a Skyactiv as a DD, mileage is amazing, creature comforts galore.

do recommend.
                        my Ex had a skyactiv, I'm looking for a manual wagon now. She pretty much got the same mileage as I did in my diesel.

Thanks everyone

No E30 Club

Comment

Buy a Focus, 40mpg and get a warranty for 7k/100 full wrap warranty for 1200.

Originally posted by blunttech
                          Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by alB5 View Post
                            Oh, it also has 215k+ on the engine, and burns oil like it's job.
                            Well... it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                              Well... it is.

No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                              X