Thinking about a winter beater / rallycross car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a winter beater / rallycross car

...and I'm looking at pre-GM Saabs, such as a 'classic' 900. Any r3ver's with any Saab experience? I can't be the only one here with a soft spot for them.

Edit: looking for a car for under $5k.
    Last edited by Andy.B; 02-11-2014, 08:00 PM.

Well, considering that freeride53 likes Peugeots, I think you'll find an enthusiast for nearly everything on r3v.

E30SPDFRK used to own a Saab 9000.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Winterbeater/rallycross car? Hate to be cliche, an older Subaru would fit the bill nicely. Nothing to say about the Saab 9000's, I've never even sat in one.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

e30.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Volvo 240. Just bought one for the same purposes.
          1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
          1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
          1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
          1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Volvo is a possibility.
            Subaru's tend to be over-valued in my area. A forester would be fun.
            e30's are great, but are going through the same market influences that beetles did in the 80's: They are viewed as plentiful and cheap, so the bottom end of the market are being bought up by people who view them as trendy, ironic, or disposable, and are being modded to death, thrashed, or parted out. Meanwhile, the ones worth saving are being saved. The result is a huge portion of the once inexpensive and readily available used e30 market is disappearing. Its harder and harder to find an e30 that doesn't need too much work to be practical, and is cheap enough to abuse.

I am interested in Saab's for several reasons. The first one I will confess to is an irrational love of the quirkiness of them. A neighbor down the street had a 900 when I was a kid in the late 80's/early 90's, and I always loved the look of it. The second is that the uncertainty of Saab's future as an automaker means that most people seem to be afraid of them, so they are dirt cheap right now. And lastly, 80's three spoke wheels and whale-tail: (Not my car/picture)

Comment

Lamborghini Aventador
              2011 1M Alpine white/black
              1996 Civic white/black
              1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

You should get a 325ix.

Saab contribution: Old ones have cool windshields and an interesting gauge cluster.
                    Instagram
                    sigpic
                    Current: 99 M3
                    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Originally posted by einhander View Post
                      Lamborghini Aventador
                      Haha. Smartass.

Comment

audi 90 quattro

318is, m50tu g240 s3.46

Comment

Originally posted by pmat View Post
                          audi 90 quattro
                          Bump for this! At least in my area, there's a bunch for sale, at reasonable prices!

TSI used to have one a few years back and that thing was amazing in the snow and had enough power for sure. Towed a jetta out of a swamp after some 16 y/o shenanigans, if that makes a better case for it too :p
                          1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                          1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                          1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                          My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Aych View Post
                            Bump for this! At least in my area, there's a bunch for sale, at reasonable prices!

TSI used to have one a few years back and that thing was amazing in the snow and had enough power for sure. Towed a jetta out of a swamp after some 16 y/o shenanigans, if that makes a better case for it too :p
                            My dad drove an Audi 90 for like 10 years. I learned how to drive manual on it. It was a good car. It eventually started burning oil, but nothing too substantial.

As expected it was a beast in the winter. Rust shouldn't be much of an issue with the galvanized body.
                            Instagram
                            sigpic
                            Current: 99 M3
                            Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Try to find a 900 SPG near by you. the SPG is a great car and it's simple to turn the boost up.
                              '91 325i

Comment

Working...
                              X