RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

RIP. Legendary comic.
    -Peter
    '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
    '91 318is slicktop project
    '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
    '00 Tundra

Comment

Disliked. I generally like George Carlin but that extreme, fatalistic view of things is completely irresponsible. As if recycling is nothing but a liberal agenda... Come on.
      Last edited by E30 Wagen; 04-22-2014, 12:52 PM. Reason: forgot the world "that"
      My Feedback

Comment

Carlin was one of a kind.
        1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
        1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
        bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
          Disliked. I generally like George Carlin but that extreme, fatalistic view of things is completely irresponsible. As if recycling is nothing but a liberal agenda... Come on.
          The point isn't that recycling is bad, it's just ridiculing the environmentalists' "selfless" attitude.

Comment

That was hilarious. I needed that this morning....
            -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
            '95 525iT
            '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
            '98 Disco 1

Comment

FUN FACT

Its us hunters and fisherman that support the conservation and green movement more than any of the green weenies, and have been since the 30's in taxes associated with the purchase of ANYTHING associated with hunting gear, and latter on in the 50' this was extended to Fishing gear. These taxes amount to 10 cents on the dollar, and go to fund, purchases and maintenance of public lands for recreation and habitat for wild life. Then there is even added taxes on fuel for your boat, not to mention all the fees and taxes on our Hunting/Fishing/Trapping License's and stamps, for me these fees add up to about 150-200 bucks depending on what and how many species I will be attempting to hunt in a given yer, but my state holds a tradition to keeping our fees affordable for us, other states the License fees can add up to over 500 bucks a year even for residents...

We sportsman pay an estimated 2.9 BILLION per year ( roughly 8 million a day) directly for conservation and the feds take in about 4.9B in taxes and fees from hunters and fisherman which is supposed to be used to support the environment, in short thats NINE ( 9 ) dollars to every 1 dollar of tax payer money spent on green initiatives to directly support the protection of habitat and wild life.... This dose not include other voluntary contributions to organizations like Ducks Unlimited, The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation , The National Wild Turkey Foundation, among many many others ........

My point is that we gun clinging generally rural "rustics" pay our way to keep and maintain our passions in the field, what do you self righteous granola , and tofu chomping hikers, bikers, and hippy city slicker campers contribute by comparison????????????
              Last edited by mrsleeve; 04-23-2014, 01:08 PM.
              Originally posted by Fusion
              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
              William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                My point is that we gun clinging generally rural "rustics" pay our way to keep and maintain our passions in the field, what do you self righteous granola , and tofu chomping hikers, bikers, and hippy city slicker campers contribute by comparison????????????
                Not sure if you're responding to my post.. Anyway, I've never heard anybody criticize the "rustic" folks, and I assure I am far from a self-righteous granola and tofu chomping hippie.

The idea that Carlin has about these "self-righteous environmentalists" just wanting a clean place to live is kind of weak because I think that that's what we all want. I want to breathe clean air. I want the ground under my feet and the water that I drink and swim in to be free of toxic chemicals. Are these desires really something to criticize? Is it wrong to figure out ways to make sure that the environments we live in aren't going to make us sick? Also, trash is a massive eye-sore.

I have no objection to the fact that the earth doesn't need to be "saved" because he's right (maybe). But to be so fatalistic about how our species will eventually go extinct anyway just invites people to think "fuck it, I'm going to dump this used oil right in my neighbor's back yard." That's just shitty.
                My Feedback

Comment

What is important to member is Carlin is using satire and sarcasm to make a point. I have a relative who is a lot like what GC describes, worried about everything....into the green movement....and even drives a Prius with the mindset they are saving the planet. I take the occassional jab at them when I state how my biking to work is cleaner than driving a Prius (not much is stated from them after that). For the record, I don't bike cause I'm trying to save the planet. I do it for some exercise and to save $60/mo. in parking at work.

Anyway, I think all of us want/appreciate a clean environment that we can enjoy and pass on to future generations. We can do what we can to minimize impact and preserve what is there. It's the elitist minded who think their efforts are better than someone elses and that they care more....I have no tolerance for that kind of pompous bullshit. We can all contribute in our own way whether it comes from clean up efforts, taxes from purchasing hunting/fishing items, making donations, being part of policy change, or developing some new tech which has a positive impact.

Just my
                  Rides...
                  1991 325i - sold :(
                  2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Am in the middle of what I think is a really good book, "The Sixth Extinction". Just shows the reality of our situation in a very non alarmist way. This planet has been through much worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X