Income vs Interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Income vs Interesting

Got an offer to join a really interesting company this morning. Director always in Bloomberg and Financial Times. Interesting clients.

Work seems super cool. Benefits are solid - insurance, language training, good holiday time, 13 month bonus...standard Asia shit. Close with couple people on the leadership time so I'd have my rabbis, which is key when trying to move up.

Downside is it's like 30% of what I'm making running my own shop. Advancement is a given, but no guaranteed time frame.

What would you go for? Good money or fun work?
    Money
    48.48%
    Interesting
    21.21%
    Rob
    30.30%
    2011 1M Alpine white/black
    1996 Civic white/black
    1988 M3 lachs/black

what is the job? to some people blowing dudes is a fun pastime. your thread is ridiculously vague.

i can't imagine taking a 70% pay cut unless there is some fantastic benefit in the near future.

why don't you make a list of all the good qualities of each job in separate columns, then make a list of all the bad qualities of both jobs the same way. i think putting it down on paper and taking a look at it can help you make your decision.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

This is completely dependent on the person and situation but 70% is a serious fucking pay cut.

Comment

I would have to be making a fuckload of money to start with to consider taking a 70% pay cut. 25% pay cut for a much more enjoyable job, sure, but 70%? No way.

Comment

How long after you are in will you recoup that 70% and climb above it, eventually becoming Chief Assistant Management Director of the Presidential Restrooms?

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            what is the job? to some people blowing dudes is a fun pastime. your thread is ridiculously vague.

i can't imagine taking a 70% pay cut unless there is some fantastic benefit in the near future.
            Job is for a professional services firm conducting due diligence and advising. Really young company, but there one maybe three companies doing the work at the moment. Really niche so lots of potential.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            How long after you are in will you recoup that 70% and climb above it, eventually becoming Chief Assistant Management Director of the Presidential Restrooms?
            Maybe a year, 18 months.

That's my title now. I keep that porcelain clean.
            2011 1M Alpine white/black
            1996 Civic white/black
            1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

I was interested in hearing what you do but you never replied to my pm

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

why would u wanna go from being your own boss to being under someone again?

Comment

Promises of promotion and better pay in 12-18 months are all great, despite the fact that 8 out of 10 new firms (ventured funded or not) fail within that time frame. But since it's Asia, I don't doubt there's definitely a lot more chances for success.

I'd do it, but to make 30% of your current income sounds absolutely ridiculous. Could you still run the shop, and work at said firm?

Comment

selling yourself for money, you'll always regret your decision

follow something that's challenging/interesting, you'll never regret your decision
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                      selling yourself for money, you'll always regret your decision

follow something that's challenging/interesting, you'll never regret your decision
                      To an extent, but then again I don't really hate my job, I just hate being in a cubicle farm.

But it allows me to do what I want when I'm not at work.

I can't imagine taking a 70% pay cut. I couldn't afford to.
                      Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                      Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                      One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

A 70% pay cut would kill most. Mr. Liquid, you would no longer be.

Your current work which in the world of advising and due dillies could mean a thousand things. Expand on what sort of advising, besides helping kids earn their series seven.

Do you have people under you that you can trust to take the day to day responsibilities? With a clear contract and paperwork you could still have controlling interest in your "shop", they'd be like a VP/Manager. You could still gain a large share to substitute what you won't be making at shadow corp #2, while grooming this underling to expand your business IF you decide that you don't like shadow corp #2.
                        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I feel like the ability to withstand a 70% pay cut would be hard for most. Would you be able to endure such a harsh lifestyle-change? Or would that be even necessary given how much you have in your savings? Could you afford the upkeep of your E30 M3 and E92iS? Questions, questions, questions..

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
                          1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
                          2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Hell no I'd stay were your at.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

If he's even considering it I'm sure it's survivable.

--

Einhander, from their perspective they're getting a year and a half of an industry professional at 30% of the cost, with no obligations. This is kind of shitty of them.

If you can't cover your own interests and keep at least a share of your own business on the side, it's not worth it unless you can guarantee that the company stays afloat and that you advance in it and that you like being in that position. That said, if you can enter into this arrangement with your manhole cover firmly on, it is probably ridiculously lucrative in the medium term.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                              X