Calling the Mini guys, pre-purchase analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling the Mini guys, pre-purchase analysis

Alright just to clarify this is my brother who is about to buy this mini: http://www.pedersentoyota.com/vehicl...s-1810539.html

Now your guys job is to act like I am the one buying it and give me all your knowledge on these cars. What to look out for, the good, the bad, common upgrades, what you think of it, etc. He's looking to buy this car because I can't convince him to buy an E30 but he does want something unique-ish that he can sort of build for a peppy little mountain cruiser. Kind of on the basis of what we do with e30's around here; coilovers, exhaust, slight motor work, chips/tunes, wheels, etc. Also he's not entirely a gear head, he is selling his titan for this, so me being the wrencher he wants my advice and my help. And of course where do I go to seek advice? R3v.

Anyhoodle, Mini guys say anything and everything, GO!
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

1st thoughts were this one does not look well cared for, the dealer didnt even take the time to clean it for pictures.

Comment

Control arm bushings, they have either been replaced (recently!) or they need to be done.

Comment

Rcsoundn1, I noticed that as well, and on the last picture there seems to be grime next to the heated seat button.

ParsedOut, at 65,000 miles? Is that the correct time to do them?
        1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Originally posted by Zreberlcoe View Post
          Rcsoundn1, I noticed that as well, and on the last picture there seems to be grime next to the heated seat button.

ParsedOut, at 65,000 miles? Is that the correct time to do them?
          Agree with rcsoundn1, if the previous owner couldn't be cared to keep the inside clean just imagine how little underhood maintenance was(n't) done. As for the CAB, they are probably shot around 60k.

Comment

Ahh good to know. I wish I wasn't 5 hours away and I could look at it. But, is there any good you can tell?
            1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Ahh good to know. I wish I wasn't 5 hours away and I could look at it. But, is there any good you can tell?
              Without a qualified mechanic doing a PPI or you looking at it yourself with an educated eye/ear, then I wouldn't buy it. Several years ago I was dead set on getting a Cooper S but after looking at SOOOOOOO many that were mechanically shitty with relatively low miles I decided to run away, very far away.

Comment

Originally posted by ParsedOut View Post
                Without a qualified mechanic doing a PPI or you looking at it yourself with an educated eye/ear, then I wouldn't buy it.

This, try to really insist on getting a decent ppi done.

Things to check

- mushrooming front shock towers
                - supercharger pully
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Ahh I see. Can you do a ppi on a dealership car? I also should add the dealership will be replacing tires/windshield, and doing a detail upon purchasing.
                  1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Ahh I see. Can you do a ppi on a dealership car? I also should add the dealership will be replacing tires/windshield, and doing a detail upon purchasing.
                    If the dealership won't work with an independent mechanic for PPI, then that's another red flag. I'd suggest finding one close to you that you can look at in person and have a PPI done without hassle. If it's good, then your "brother" ;) can fly out and pick it up or drive it out or something.

Comment

paging funfgan

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by ParsedOut View Post
                        If the dealership won't work with an independent mechanic for PPI, then that's another red flag. I'd suggest finding one close to you that you can look at in person and have a PPI done without hassle. If it's good, then your "brother" ;) can fly out and pick it up or drive it out or something.
                        Will do, I'm telling him to look into shops in his area and to ask the dealer if he can do a ppi on his terms. And yes it really is for my brother, I wouldn't buy a mini, I would do something worse and buy another E30.
                        1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

You could buy 4 relatively cheap E30's with that price of that mini . It doesn't look horrible but my first concern is whats underneath those seat covers? +1 on control arms, and make sure its got a good clutch. In order to pull the transmission on most minis you might as well yank out the trans. I also know that they leak powersteering fluid pretty bad. Keep us informed.

Comment

Alright the plan is to get my brother to ask for a ppi, because I'm having my doubts while looking at these pictures closely. If the dealer wont let him do a ppi somewhere else, he has to walk away. If he does and the car checks out or the repairs are minimal, then it's up to him.
                            1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                              paging funfgan
                              If it doesn't have a full packet and history of service, steer very clear away.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Working...
                              X