Africa's Lucrative Used Car Trade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The small West African country of Benin has become one of the main destinations for second-hand cars coming from Europe and the US, but most of those cars are on their way to Nigeria.

Good watch. Crazy to see just how lucrative this is.

Cool to see the rows of thousands of foreign cars side by side.
    US market cars, European market cars, Japanese market cars - all together.

I have always found African car culture very interesting.
    It is a place where old Benzes and Peugeots are still king.

Let's see how long that lasts with this new phenomenon.

-S

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Many of them stolen?

Huge problem with auto theft groups..within hours of being stolen the cars are in a container over the ocean.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I just replaced my wife's Lexus RX a few weeks ago.
      It looked just like the white one in the screenshot above, only that one seems in slightly better shape :rofl:

Comment

so thats where all those "Cash For Clunkers" cars went too....
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
          Obama's stimulating the African economy.... Same reason no Ebola flight restrictions. We have to be supremely concerned with Africa's economy.
          ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

That's where all Germany's E30's went. They used to come to my local yard and buy up tons of spares and all the used tires they could get. Bring a container in and fill it with junk to head down to the Sub Sahara.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              That's where all Germany's E30's went. They used to come to my local yard and buy up tons of spares and all the used tires they could get. Bring a container in and fill it with junk to head down to the Sub Sahara.
              I was in Belgium at a tire store and a guy was acquiring every single bald tire available in a tire shop. I asked him and he said tires are very expensive in Africa, you usually don't go past 3rd gear and weather is rarely an issue... so bald tires it is. He said brake pads are usually take from larger wrecked vehicles (like a truck or bus), cut to shape with a grinder and used in passenger cars. LOOOL
              Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

My Landloard in Germany had a small car lot, and 90% of the stuff he sold was to Africans. They would roll up 10-12 deep and buy a lot of cars to take back. They never got plates or registration, just drove all the way down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  No, I wish. If you remember, they all had their engines blown then the cars were subsequently crushed. It was painful to see it done to a running, rust-free toyota fj60.

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  My Landloard in Germany had a small car lot, and 90% of the stuff he sold was to Africans. They would roll up 10-12 deep and buy a lot of cars to take back. They never got plates or registration, just drove all the way down!
                  Lol wtf ! That's quite the drive....

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by TimeMachinE30 View Post
                    Obama's stimulating the African economy.... Same reason no Ebola flight restrictions. We have to be supremely concerned with Africa's economy.
                    Cash for clunker was created before Obama was president, although he did extend it in 2009. Facts and stuff.. ;)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                      No, I wish. If you remember, they all had their engines blown then the cars were subsequently crushed.
                      Yup, I worked at a Nissan Dealer when that went down. They had a chemical that was poured into the oil. You then started the car and bounced it off the rev limiter until the engine locked up. It was pretty effective stuff.

What a nightmare though, I saw many very desirable cars meet their demise with the owner completely oblivious that their "clunker" was worth as much if not more than they were getting.

Now, some people really did get a deal. $3500 for a Geo Metro? Yes please.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

i remember going to the yards and all the motors where flagged you couldnt buy parts off them only cosmetic stuff.

Anyways Sakawa Boys connected to this? lol

Last edited by E30_Pare; 11-08-2014, 01:49 PM.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

^ haha wtf

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                          1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

These are the dudes that spam your email and steal your monies. Supposedly a popular source of income. The ones that make it are like superstars lol. Figured they must be buying up all the cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                            DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

That's funny. I have been to Accra Ghana, crazy city. Was there for about a week back in 99 doing flood relief missions. People spoke 5-7 languages and wanted to be paid if you had a conversation with them. They got the typical pound sand response for requests like that.

I did buy a complete bongo drum set for about 40 dollars.
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                              X