Anyone into chainsaws?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone into chainsaws?

So I got a new job at a 2 stroke shop a Few weeks ago.
    We sell Go karts,Chain saws,Lawn mowers,rototillers etc

My boss has been trying to get me to buy a New Chainsaw because the stihl i have is a newer model with the plastic housing.

So yesterday I did.....

I bought a Vintage 1981 Stihl 024 Woodboss,in orignal case and has less than an hour of use. Has been gone threw and all new everything completely Refurbished.

I did a Service on my MS270 and its for sale on the showroom.

:D

I know nothing about them, but I think they are cool. Hoping this thread delivers.
    1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
    1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
    bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen…
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If I were to bet who is going to chime in on this thread with awesome chainsaw stuff I would put my money on F34R and MrSleeve.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
        Sounds like you need a massage.
        Originally posted by kpeng
        Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

i have owned several in my day. my problem is that i don't use them often enough to keep the carbs clean and they never work when i need to use them. the crown jewel in my stable is a pioneer farmsaw that is huge as shit. it is one of the models that people modify when they do lumberjack competitions. unfortunately, i have not used it in a while and the carb is f'ed up.

for a small saw, i like those old maccullah's that were built in the 80's. they are small, light weight, have lots of power and are very cheap to buy used. i have perhaps 4 or 5 of those. none are running right now either.

because i needed a saw a couple weeks ago, i went out and purchased a fucking used piece of shit poulan at the local pawn shop. i took the carb apart, cleaned it, adjusted the carb. it ran great for about 10 cuts and then quit. i can't get the damn thing to run for the life of me. it is getting gas and spark. pos!!!!

i put sta-bil in my tools before i store them away. unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be enough.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

We use stihl at my work, as do almost all contractors that we have do tree work for us. They have given us good value, and have held up well through several hurricanes. 2005 was a rough year for us as we had 5 hurricanes affect our property. We had some old husquvarna(spelling) that were abused so I cant really vouch for them. A chainsaw is only as good as its operator. We have mostly soft wood down here, slash pine, and banyan for the most part are what we use them on. Only prob we have is the sap, and milk from the soft woods can tend to gum up the bar/chain oiler which the operator needs to be dilligent about keeping clean.
            Also the stihls can be a bit underpowered espc when using a more aggresive chain, although that may not be the case when dealing with harder woods, just with the soft woods it cuts so fast its easy to bog them down.

One other thing.....chaps are a must, they have saved my leg from serious damage. Litteraly made my last cut of the day and due to fatigue just never engaged the brake, turned to walk up the river bank I was working on, and brough my thigh right into the free spinning chain. It would have fucked me up had I not had on chaps.
            Last edited by naplesE30; 02-17-2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I have a POS 18" Homelite. it's got an awful tensioning system that comes loose while you're using it, and the chain falls off all the time. It also has some sort of heat soak issue where it will overheat and stall, or if I shut it off hot I can't start it again for a few hours. Probably just need to rebuild the carb, but it pisses me off either way.

But, I don't really need anything crazy, and I've already cleared most of the big stuff from my property. There's only two small trees left to come down.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

because i needed a saw a couple weeks ago, i went out and purchased a fucking used piece of shit poulan at the local pawn shop. i took the carb apart, cleaned it, adjusted the carb. it ran great for about 10 cuts and then quit. i can't get the damn thing to run for the life of me. it is getting gas and spark. pos!!!!

i put sta-bil in my tools before i store them away. unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be enough.

did you see if the piston is scorn? I get a bunch of saws in that have scorn pistons.

BTW if any of you are looking. We have a 021,024AV,038,044,056 For sale on consignment.

we are no longer a Stihl dealer,but we have pretty much all parts. including chains and bars.
                Last edited by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx; 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I am a fan of a good chainsaw session. I don't own any but have used quite a few different stihl saws, both chainsaw and chop saw. Definitely the brand I would go with if I ever purchase one

Bahama Beige E23 Project
                  Bluebird Bus Conversion
                  New Oregon Trail

Comment

we burn over 30 chord of wood a season, at the bare minimum. hand split and cut with my grandfathers old sthil 023

thing just keeps going, had several new chains, new bar. new drive gear (old one wore out so bad it wouldnt move the chain and jumped)
                    new fuel tank vent, new filters and spark plugs all the time cause I foul them up so bad
                    had to epoxy the vent nipple on the tank. the brake is broken on the one side but still works, clean out the exhuast screen once or twice a year

love my chain saw

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
                    Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

I haven't used a chain saw in years, but growing up (in the midwest) we heated our house with a wood furnace so chainsaw use was frequent. Stihls were alway the go to. Never any problems, just basic maintenance.

I found an old McCulloch in a shed on my grand parents farm that hadn't been used in decades. For fun i took it to shop class and cleaned it up. A basic carb cleaning and a new spark plug and it ran like a champ. It was neat but compared to the stihls it kind of sucked to use.

This is basically the same saw as the one i fixed up.

Comment

I should really get my dad in here he trains and certifies all the fallers for the USFS in California. His baby is a hybrid stihl he has custom pistons and it's over bored and the intake and exhaust are all posted out. Fastest fucking saw I've ever used I'll try to get some pictures later also tip from him bigger the bar the better for your back

Comment

Dude I love chainsaws

Comment

Originally posted by kickinindian View Post
                            I should really get my dad in here he trains and certifies all the fallers for the USFS in California. His baby is a hybrid stihl he has custom pistons and it's over bored and the intake and exhaust are all posted out. Fastest fucking saw I've ever used I'll try to get some pictures later also tip from him bigger the bar the better for your back

I'd love to hear his recipe for a hot saw

I run an 026 Stihl, but have been lusting after something bigger like a Jonsered 630 Super or Stihl for years. Admit it. We all wish we had a big Jonsered.

Comment

My parents bought me some $200ish stihl chainsaw in exchange for cutting one of their trees down a few years ago. First time using a chainsaw or cutting down a tree, kinda surprised I didn't get crushed or maimed.

Regardless, pretending I was in Gears of War was pretty sweet

Comment

Working...
                              X