Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
    I'd love to hear his recipe for a hot saw

I run an 026 Stihl, but have been lusting after something bigger like a Jonsered 630 Super or Stihl for years. Admit it. We all wish we had a big Jonsered.
    I'll ask him about it he worked as a Timber stand improvement foreman for like 14yrs so that was chainsaw work 8hrs every day 5 days a week all year, he loves it though, he has got older so now he trains and starts fires, and draws maps. He has a cool collection of saws an old 2 man saw, fucking huge, from the early 1910s and a huge ass McCullough, his hot stihl, a smaller stihl and a cheap ass Woodshark for limbing trees when he climbs for side jobs. Also another word of wisdom always watch your tip so it doesn't Bounce back at you, and never wrap your thumb around the grips, and sharpen your fucking chains!

Comment

Growing up on a small farm in the mid west that heated with wood most of the time I learned how to run a saw early on, and more than likely earlier than I should have in all honesty. The 2 stihl's my dad had were always in the shop and the (IIRC) the rancher he had NEVER ran right. So when I was old enough kinda followed my grandpa and went with the sweeds and bought a nice though older Jonsered 621 form about 1978 (this was 1992) and converted it over to the solid state electronic ignition from a 70. (IIRC) With only a 16" bar and a relatively low RPM smaller displacement saw, it is a cutting little bastard

Edit: went out to the garage and dug it out, its not a 621 its a 49SP

I have not had a whole lot of need for a saw outside of little shit since I left the farm and working on the neighbors farms a few years latter so my knowledge on saws is all but gone. Though I am working on getting to a place here before too long that I will likely need to be in the know again...... Living where I do, this is LOGGER country, and also Sthil country and one of the best custom saw builders anywhere is here in town..

quickervicar: Yes everyone should own a big jonsered
      Last edited by mrsleeve; 02-17-2015, 08:07 PM.
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

I use them when i have to gain access to my Transmitter site
        or when the pines grow so big they block my Microwave site.
        i have dropped about an 75-80 ft pine.
        it was a RUSH.
        This young lady was my next door neighbor here in Spokane.

she represented Stihl in Lumber Jill competition
        yeah thats her with the killer abs
        Directly above the center of the Earth

Comment

speaking of chain saws, I just got back in the house, took me three hours to fire the JD tractor, treked into the bush and pulled out 3 100' ash trees, cut and split them for burning wood for the rest of feb. in two days, I will pull a bunch more to tide me over till mid march.

sigpic1984 318i Total conversion to a DIRT race car.
          Check out our build on facebook @ www.facebook.com/brewstermotorsports

Comment

cut about 4-6 cords a year with a Stihl 041 super AV 32" bar (needed to drop 100' firs) just upgraded my one hand 015 limber with a new 017.(cant find parts for the 015 anymore,was a great saw i got for my 15th birthday)

split wood with my Mitsubishi tractor mounted hyd log splitter, grew tired of hand splitting!
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

Definitely have a soft spot for gas power tools. My Echo CS 440 with 18 inch bar has done all the cutting I have needed living in the city.

I usually end up with some free beers as payback for when my little Echo helps pull clean up duty from ice storms here in Dallas.

Comment

My parents used to cut and sell firewood. (among other things like beekeeping) I was too young to remember, but i've heard the stories. It's odd to think my mom and dad could unload and stack a cord of wood in record time, back then about 15 minutes or something? Shit, I'd be three beers in by that time.

Comment

I heat my house with 2 wood stoves but buy most of my wood. I do need a nice chainsaw to do some logging in the yard. I've had my eye on a ms290 for some time.

I have an old 024 but it's in rough shape.
                  Originally posted by LJ851
                  I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Here she is,in all her glory.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wow that is a pristine saw.
                      Originally posted by LJ851
                      I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
                        did you see if the piston is scorn? I get a bunch of saws in that have scorn pistons.

BTW if any of you are looking. We have a 021,024AV,038,044,056 For sale on consignment.

we are no longer a Stihl dealer,but we have pretty much all parts. including chains and bars.
                        How do I check that without taking the engine all apart? I have another polan parts saw that has better compression than my pawn shop shitter. I think it has a slightly bigger displacement though.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

this thread is awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by quickervicar View Post
                            I'd love to hear his recipe for a hot saw

I run an 026 Stihl, but have been lusting after something bigger like a Jonsered 630 Super or Stihl for years. Admit it. We all wish we had a big Jonsered.
                            "Pretty much just a woods ported 044 Stihl with muffler ported and carb opened up, velocity stack and foam filter, and a good sharp chain. nothing too crazy cause it has to last for a while."

The saw cuts a 30" pine in about 3 sec. It's a great saw

Comment

Relevant.
                              Noise warning, skip the first 5 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                How do I check that without taking the engine all apart? I have another polan parts saw that has better compression than my pawn shop shitter. I think it has a slightly bigger displacement though.
                                Pull out the plug,and pull your starter cord as if you are trying to start it. "but just slow" as if you are checking compression.
                                Get a flash light and look at the piston.

:)
                                Last edited by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx; 02-18-2015, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X