"car guys" driving automatics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
    That's been my experience too. Don't think I've ever seen someone at a stoplight without their brake lights on.

I'm curious though, what do you guys do at a stoplight with a stick shift? Put it in neutral and hold the brake, or put it in first and hold the brake and clutch in?
    Come to a stop in neutral and hold brake until the other light turns yellow, then stage up the 1st gear. 49 times out of 51, I have it in neutral significantly before the stoplight or even stopping.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

honestly, dd'n a stick in crazy los angeles traffic has never bothered me. By that point, it's something that just comes by second nature so I never notice it. lol, that is all.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
        I'm curious though, what do you guys do at a stoplight with a stick shift? Put it in neutral and hold the brake, or put it in first and hold the brake and clutch in?
        Depends on how quick the light is, and whether or not I want to listen to my flywheel chatter.
        Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by grn gbln View Post
          At the end of the day your penis is still the same size as it was when the day began.
          I disagree.

Originally posted by agent View Post
          Depends on how quick the light is, and whether or not I want to listen to my flywheel chatter.
          My flywheel doesn't chatter, it tells stories to keep me entertained while sitting at the light.

--Mike
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

If I'm on level ground or my tire dips into a rut left from a truck, I'll just sit there in neutral with no brakes. Now, I stay aware of what's coming at me in my rear view so I don't get punted into the intersection.

Point is, you'll see me at stop lights all the time with no brake lights. Also, always in neutral until just before the light changes. I want my throwout bearing and master/slave cylinders to last as long as the clutch does. Sitting for extended periods of time with the clutch depressed is unnecessary pressure on all 3 of those components. Not saying you will have any problems if you choose to, just my personal feels on the matter.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
              Sitting for extended periods of time with the clutch depressed is unnecessary pressure on all 3 of those components. Not saying you will have any problems if you choose to, just my personal feels on the matter.
              Interesting, I didn't know that was an issue. Hasn't been an issue for me, which is actually kind of amazing since my DD is a Jetta with 500k miles, and the original clutch, according to my dad. Generally when pulling up to a light, I pop it in first just as I'm coming to a stop, and I just hold the clutch in. My parents do the same.

If I'm in the E30, sometimes I'll put it in neutral if I get tired of hearing the typical Getrag chatter.

Comment

That's why I added the disclaimer. It isn't really an issue, but I have had throwout bearings and clutch hydraulics fail in the past before a clutch. I once had a brand new car that burned up the slave cylinder in 15k, but at the time my commute was In montgomery county heading toward DC in rush hour traffic, so that clutch got some use.

Again, not saying it is an issue, just something I think about and try to minimize.
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

It's bad form to sit with the clutch depressed. Throwout bearing, clutch pressure plate, transmission input shaft. All three get stressed.
                  Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

in the city, my auto 335d is a godsend. that is all.
                    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

real talk I use to drive an automatic - figured it was safest for me with my leg situation

bought a 5 speed e28 and now that I have some real SEAT TIME I feel confident every time I blip the throttle for a downshift

cant believe I didnt have a third pedal years ago :(

Comment

A manual transmission is like a fine Swiss self winding watch. It is mechanical mastery to the point of eloquence. Refined to the point where the only way to make it better is to show it's internal workings.

An automatic transmission is a digital watch. There is no passion in a digital watch. It is a piece of technology that gives you a readout in as efficient a means as possible, devoid of a soul.

A manual vehicle there is a connection between the spirit of the machine and the driver. An automatic is an instrument to transfer power. I own a Hamilton watch for the same reason all my vehicles are manual. Connection with the machine.
                        1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
                        2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
                        2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Just bought a W211 E55, so I didn't really have a choice in auto vs manual. Honestly, driving auto around city is very nice.

As a DD, auto. As a weekend warrior, manual all the way.

Comment

Automatic transmissions

I bought my E36 325ic with an Auto which I think suites the car very well. It is just a comfortable cruising around car that will never be fast. My 525iA that I got from my Father now that he is too old to be driving is fine with the Auto too, and I enjoy it as a good daily driver. Maybe I have gotten lazy, but my E30 and MK2 GLI are both manuals ,and so I have them to drive and beat up on. Although the Autos can be nice for various reasons, I will not be buying anymore of them. From now on I only want two things in my drivetrain, RWD with an old school mechanical limited slip diff, and a clutch pedal.

Comment

Working...
                            X