Oldschool car audio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oldschool car audio.

Anyone else into the old school car audio scene? I'm more into sound quality... Never been into the skull fucking bass but to each his own. I'm pretty deep into the Alpine and JBL game lol. I have some JBL coaxials dated from 1989. Really sweet, new in box and best of all. Free! What are you dudes into?
    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

I miss the days of old school audio when MB Quartz meant something. One off my favorite decks was one with the least options, Clarion Pro Audio!

Comment

Originally posted by GAbOS View Post
      I miss the days of old school audio when MB Quartz meant something. One off my favorite decks was one with the least options, Clarion Pro Audio!
      MB Quartz made some amazing equipment back in the day.. Shame that most of the reputable companies either sold themselves to Chinese companies or went bust. I have a buddy who's into the old Clarion stuff. Rockford made some really decent stuff too... What happened to the good old days of audio...
      -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
      -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Love old school car audio

soundstream
        Precision power
        orion
        Mb quart
        Phoenix gold
        Zapco
        1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
        2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
        2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
          Love old school car audio

orion
          Orion! I was about to buy a second gen 225HCCA for a while. Deal fell through when I had to spend money on car stuff other than audio. I love their cheater amps. Low ohms for days.
          -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
          -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

Old school audio? Yes I am, 8-track in my Corvair lol

1992 BMW 325iC
            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I sold my e30 with an a/d/s/ PQ10 in it
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I found a bunch of A/D/S equipment in my 2002 when I bought it... Looked like a professional install from the mid 90's. Really nice thick and old Monster RCA's with A/D/S crossovers, mids, tweeters, coaxials in the back and a P440 four channel in the trunk. And a sony C710 deck in the glovebox.. Pulled it all out in the name of saving it from moisture because the seals are shit on the 2002. It all works still too. I'll have to post some pictures.

Edit: The mid's are 320is's. Got a good laugh out of that.. Would be perfect for a E21 owner ;)
                -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

hahaha.. Orion HCCA's.. Can you say "1/4 ohm cheater amp"?

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                    Old school audio? Yes I am, 8-track in my Corvair lol
                    I enjoyed the 8track in my old 77 rabbit. It was weird having a suitcase for the music.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I had a nice setup in my Alfa GTV, A/D/S PH15 6 channel amp, old school MB Quart speakers up front,and Sony Mobil ES rears with an Eclipse 55090 deck. It needed a good set of tweeters, but there was no place to install them without screwing with the original interior. It was a good sounding system that didn't alter the original interior at all. I had the deck in the glove box so the original radio looked like it was powering the rest of the system.

I still have the deck, and the front speakers as well as the active A/D/S crossover for the PH15 amp. The amp and rear speakers I never got back from the guy who bought the wrecked remains.

I've been toying with the idea of doing a similar setup in the M3. I've been thinking about about picking up a Nakamichi CD400 deck, the speakers already in the car are Rainbow Audios. I might go looking for a mono amp for the sub. I'm all about sound quality, I don't need window breaking bass.

Will
                      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
                      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
                      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
                      '88 BMW M3

Comment

I still have some old Sansui 3way's in the front of my e30. Currently have like 60 watts going through them. Still sound great.

Comment

I sold an Alpine 7904 not too long ago, just like a 7909 but only 2 sets of preouts, and I don't think it had the 5v. I actually got it for free 10+ yrs ago because it was "old" then.

Had a just slightly newer vintage Alpine in my AE86 when I had it (circa 5-7 years ago). Looked the part, but it always skipped, the sound of sidedraughts and 9k rpm made a radio unnecessary.

Still have a RF Punch 100ix and Power 250m with the "Punch Link" to make it look like one huge amp, they're back in Ohio in their boxes if I need them. I had them on Punch 12"s and MB Quart 218.02 components in fiberglass enclosures built into the doors of the 1990 Cutlass I had (this was mid-late '90s). Sold those components right before I moved to CA, had to purge, wasn't using them.

I wish a full-featured yet period-looking head unit existed for '80s/early '90s cars. To me it seems like the car audio makers are fucking up by not having such products, they just keep making the same dumb flashy shit year after year with cd drives no one even use, when all the modern cars don't even take aftermarket head units anymore anyway.

Edit: Failed to mention I have an A/D/S 12" to go in my E30, I'm putting a modern mono class D amp on it though, going to try infinite baffle though the ski pass hole.
                          Last edited by Vincent Brick; 02-20-2015, 11:44 PM.
                          sigpic
                          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by GAbOS View Post
                            hahaha.. Orion HCCA's.. Can you say "1/4 ohm cheater amp"?
                            :devil: great amps.

Not as old school but I loved OZ audio. Had an entire matrix elite and L system in my first car and I don't think I've had better...and I use to play around with current day DLS, Dynaudio etc.

My buddy would show up with his a/d/s speakers, zed designed power acoustic amps and.... these shallow 8 inch midwoofers and it just jammed! God can't remember who made those mid's but it was like crystal audio or something of the like.

LoL not entirely old school stuff but great none the less. The newer scene might be importing a lot from china but, just like the micro brews, there are a lot of smaller hole in the wall companies that are making great stuff these days.

Comment

I miss the look of the oldschool Alpine, Blaupunkt, Denon and Soundstream decks. I think I have a shuttle deck carry bag in the closet somewhere.

Loved the old Orion, Linear Power, Zapco and Rockford amps when it was all about massive, clean high current power.

I pulled my SQ system from my Ford Exploder 6 years ago and trying to find a way to get it installed into the wagon.

Alpine 7909L
                              2x McIntosh MC431
                              2x Audiocontrol EQT
                              Dynaudio 340
                              Image Dynamics IDQ10

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X