No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes it needs a lift and with what you saved on the initial purchase price you can "justify" a nice 2"- 3" set up from the likes of Fox or King. After all the suspension has 300k on it and I am sure could use some "refreshing" ;) I would recommend a set of Cooper ST Maxx's in what ever size you like, but the 255/85-16 would look killer on that thing and they are awesome, though the durtracs are great as well but not available it the taller skinnier size. I would pull the running boards and build or throw a set of step sliders on the tube look is much better on them IMO...

Looks like a great purchase for 300 bucks
    Last edited by mrsleeve; 06-16-2016, 03:52 PM.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

Yea I already found the p/n for the front flares to match up with the fender flares. I am planning on yanking the running boards.

I hadn't even looked at lifts, they actually look cheap enough that it's hard to not go that route when replacing struts.
      No E30 Club
      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

kings, Icons and Fox's are all right about the same price for front struts, on this think I would prolly run kings or Icons, But the fox's will be a bit cheaper to outfit all round I think.... I have been mostly buried in the FZJ80 stuff....
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

This thing is in better condition than I thought.

Busted out the heat gun and managed to straighten where the LR flare was mangled, check.

Buffed out the scuffs on the passenger rear door, check.

Removed running boards, and noticed a mind boggling lack of rust underneath. Literally, the only place there is rust on the frame is on weld points. I'm surprised because this vehicle has spent the last 16 years as a DD in Baltimore.

Removing the running boards was a good idea, Sleeve. After removal I noticed where it had worn through the paint on the front fender. Slight rust there, would only get worse with time. I'm thinking the flex from stepping on the board probably caused the flare part to do that. Oh well, no longer an issue. It does look much better now, less like a road SUV and more like something made for fun.

After a wash, the thing looks new aside from minor hail damage.

I'll snap a few photos in the AM. It's gotten too dark now to take anything worth while. I'll probably wash it again this weekend to give it the first coat of wax in years.
          Last edited by Exodus_2pt0; 06-17-2016, 06:26 PM.
          No E30 Club
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
            Best $300 vehicle I've ever had.
            I hate you

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
              I hate you
              <3

No E30 Club

Comment

I was running 255/75/17 and it makes the truck look quite good even without a lift.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
                  I was running 255/75/17 and it makes the truck look quite good even without a lift.
                  Yea I'm seriously considering a set of 265/75r16's (and wheels, the stockers are beyond saving) and a locker in the back before lifting. I'm not looking for ridiculous ability, just enough to get me back into the woods for camping/hunting/whatever. I'm also thinking a portable winch would be money better spent than a lift, as I'm kind of a loner when it comes to exploration.

Last update for a while. Spent the afternoon polishing and waxing. Turned out pretty good.

No E30 Club

Comment

I just replaced my 285/75/16 duratracks with 265/75/16 duratracks. I like it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Decided to check out the OHV trail at George Washington National Forest. It's really more of a scenic route, did most of it in 2wd with highway tread tires. Only really needed 4wd at the beginning where there's a relatively steep hill lined with loose rocks.

Had a great time though, I'll let the photo's tell the story.

Lab's gunna lab. He just can't help himself...

And again, the little shit just couldn't help himself....

So after tossing another rock in the water to get him cleaned up, the rear seats went up and he got confined to the rear area for damage control....

Back on the trail.

Pretty cool place, $5 for a day pass to the trails, $12 for a 3 day pass. Going to take the family in a few weeks for some dispersed camping up in the mountains.
                      No E30 Club

Comment

Also, I found out the hard way that my fan clutch is shot. Some areas were pretty dusty so I rolled the windows up and kicked on the A/C. During a slow decent down a hill I looked down and noticed the temp gauge touching the red. I immediately shut off the A/C and turned the heat on high, and it dropped very quickly. Kept monitoring it, and eventually tried the a/c again, and it never even came close to overheating the rest of the day. I did notice though, I never heard the fan get loud.
                        No E30 Club

Comment

Awesome!

I'm gonna be in the market for a 3rd gen v6 manual. Need to get something before winter rolls around.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                            Awesome!

I'm gonna be in the market for a 3rd gen v6 manual. Need to get something before winter rolls around.
                            Do it! Honestly, I never thought I would want an Auto but it was nice back in the woods. I think the only time I'll really miss it is when I get stuck and I can't rapidly rock the truck back and forth.
                            No E30 Club

Comment

Best $300 vehicle I've ever had.
                              Nice!

First real test of off roading. She performed flawlessly.

Took the unpaved way to the top of Mt Lemmon down in Tucson and found this spot near the top.

Last edited by DEV0 E30; 06-20-2016, 09:13 PM.
                              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Also, I found out the hard way that my fan clutch is shot. Some areas were pretty dusty so I rolled the windows up and kicked on the A/C. During a slow decent down a hill I looked down and noticed the temp gauge touching the red. I immediately shut off the A/C and turned the heat on high, and it dropped very quickly. Kept monitoring it, and eventually tried the a/c again, and it never even came close to overheating the rest of the day. I did notice though, I never heard the fan get loud.
                                You could just make a run to the hobby store and buy some new fluid and try that 1st for 10ish bucks +/- and a little time. You want the silicone diff fluid for R/C cars in something like a 15,000 CST or 20k CST weight to refill with. If its anything like the clutch in the FZJ's its not a big deal, to change it out and see if that helps. There may even be a thermostatic adjustment in side as well that is easy to "tweek" with a blow dryer and laser temp gun, though likely just swapping in new silicone oil will likely solve your issues. My brand new fan clutch was not locking up real well so I modded it and put 15k CST in it (much thicker than the stuff that came in it) and it locks up much better, and does not get over 202*f that I have seen anymore even on very slow steep up hill climbs with the A/C going (though I we have not had any 90* days yet).

I predict a lift, Armor, a rack, a Rooftop Tent, and lots of camping/overland gear in your near future, good thing it was only 300 bucks and your not going to have to chase too much in the way mechanical issues :)

Devo, looks like a fun trip, I really like up there on the top of Mt Lemon, if I had to live in Tucson its going to be in summer haven year round lol, I dont care if its 40 mins to Speedway. When I was down there this last winter I made it up there a couple of times and it gave me a little feeling of home with the trees and snow and what not it was a nice escape, from all the crap I had going on at the time. To bad the gate down the back side was locked when we were up there, or we would have checked it out for sure.
                                Last edited by mrsleeve; 06-20-2016, 10:35 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

Working...
                                X