No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Toyota SUV/truck thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im going to build a tube rear here soonish, From my experience with the Rack its all about having a welder that can do the size steel you are using. My flux core didn't really have good amp settings and would lay caterpillars or melt through.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      Got my #glamping on a couple of weeks ago as well.

68 - Day 2 by MR E30, on Flickr

76 - Day 3 by MR E30, on Flickr

Oh wow that thing is pretty - and that looks fun. My good friend has one just like yours with a 6-speed manual. I'm interested in seeing if any outfits rent rooftop tents so I can try one out atop my 4Runner.

Also, here are some semi recent pics of the Yota (few months ago).

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Thanks Freeride!

I have heard of people renting out their personal RTT's, and I would gladly rent you mine if you were closer.

4Runner looks great!
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
          I'm interested in seeing if any outfits rent rooftop tents so I can try one out atop my 4Runner.
          There are definitely pros and cons to RTT's... and there are a decent amount of cons (significant weight on the roof, having to break camp to move the vehicle, roof clearance, etc.).

I think for a 4runner, or any SUV, I'd be more interested in a hard shell RTT style, like a Roof Nest, James Baroud, or GFC, instead of a fold out tent style. They're slimmer and also quicker to setup. Not sure if they're any lighter, though.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
          Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

A hard shell is pretty damn desirable.

I don't camp often, and the wife LOVES lots of space, so a giant fold out soft shell works perfectly for me, for now.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I want an overland set up but I gotta put the taco to work every couple of weeks

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

cool seeing this thread here. here is my Taco, is somewhat of chronological order:

Comment

Originally posted by YAN-3 View Post
                  cool seeing this thread here. here is my Taco, is somewhat of chronological order:

oh hey

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                  Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Love me some Methods.

Im stuck between those and TurboMac HD's in 17s when I eventually go 37s
                    willschnitz

Comment

Recently got back from a 4000 mile trek to and from Utah and wow what an amazing part of the country you guys have there, can't wait to go back. 4 4Runners, 4 Tacomas and several hundred miles off-road. We spent 3 days at Hole in the Rock and then traveled up to Moab for a few days. Only came back for a few scrapes, one bent spindle and ideas on how to spend money for next year.

Comment

WOW awesome trip, I need to get down there again some one of these days would like to put the wifey truck though a couple of mild to moderate trails so she can see just what its capable of other than just going to costco....

Your truck is already pretty well built, I think you could just look into upgrading the factory parts that are still in the system, like axles and half shafts maybe some sort of on board air supply either tank or compressor

You dont have lockers in your truck do you. The Ele offerings from harrop would allow you to "upgrade" your gearing while your in there, Vs just going with ARB's.

On that note we did get her truck a little dirty earlier this spring with a little local day trip up towards the boarder with Canuckastain

2019-06-02_02-37-50 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
                        Originally posted by Fusion
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

tbh moab is doable in most stock 4x4s. Id say only a few trails would be a challenge.
                          willschnitz

Comment

Factory e-locker, more than adequate for what I plan to put it through. If I make the jump to 35s then I'll consider a re-gear for highway cruising, otherwise the drive train will remain as is. Nothing in the driveline is limiting me, it's entirely an unwillingness to destroy my daily.

Comment

Ok you have an the factory rear unit then.... Yeah I would think that would get you out of most jambs you would find your self in, and I think I have only ever used the front locker to exercise it. Also I get not wanting to get too far into mods on a DD as well when they are not 100% needed. You just asked what you could spend money on thats all... Just trying to help :)
                              Originally posted by Fusion
                              If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                              The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                              William Pitt-

Comment

Already have the ideas, needs bumpers to replace all the parts I left on the trails.

Comment

Working...
                                X