Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you major in and would you do it again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

International Business.

And No.
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

I recommend picking up the book Strengths Finder 2.0 and taking the assessment. It's very common for people to think they know what they want to do, but pick something that doesn't suit their talents. If you choose a major/career that fits with your aptitudes you will be both happier and more successful.
      88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
      We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

Finishing up my BSE in Mechanical Engineering this semester. It was a lot of work but it has placed me in great aerospace internships and jobs. Shooting for Boeing, Raytheon, or Lockheed. I would do it again.
        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Bachelors is Mech. Eng. with a minor in business. worked for about 3 years and went back to school for Master's in Mech. Eng. recently went back for an MBA. I would do it the same again maybe do the master degrees a little sooner, I won't be done with this second degree until I'm about 35. We are paying kids straight out of school in the 60-70k minimum starting, I haven't gotten less than a 10% raise any year since I started working aside from 2008 when the auto industry was completely fucked. I do more business side things and engineering, but we would never hire someone to do sales and marketing without an engineering background. Also I have a few friends who were engineering degrees and ended up in high end stock market type gigs, the positions that needed the analytical processes they think are a trait of engineers.
          2011 JGC daily, 1985 944

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
            Business grad, career in finance
            If I had to do it again, I'd try to figure out a job actually making something. I love my job, but I really like working with tools.
            +1

I have a degree in Management; I am an accountant now (granted, accounting manager). Kind of studying for CPA.

If I had to do it all over again, I would find whatever degree it took to do oil & gas exploration. First off, interesting as hell. Second, lots of money in it. Third, you get to see the world.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Going to school currently for auto tech. But I plan to build custom cars etc not fix them.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Undergrad was Mech E. Have never used it in any way in my career, so I can't comment on that aspect, but it was interesting in college. Thinking of some form of Econ for masters soon, seems like something that would appeal to a mathematical/analytical background, but with more of a political/sociological/global interest standpoint. I could be WAY off with that, but that has been my impression.
                e92 M3
                e30 M3 s52 swap
                w203 C240 wagon (DD)
                190e 5.6 swap (in surgery)

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                  +1

I have a degree in Management; I am an accountant now (granted, accounting manager). Kind of studying for CPA.

If I had to do it all over again, I would find whatever degree it took to do oil & gas exploration. First off, interesting as hell. Second, lots of money in it. Third, you get to see the world.
                  Petroleum Engineer...............

If work every slows to a point where I need to retrain, that would likely be my direction, that or Welding engineer

Currently, had very little college, but LOTS of Vocational training paid for by my employers. there are a couple of colleges that you can pay to get the same "certs" though we cram a semester into 40ish very intense hours, some things are much more math and physics involved than others and many guys wash out at the 1st general tests..... Would not trade the path I took to get where I am, for a another sheepskin to hang on the wall.....
                  Last edited by mrsleeve; 04-16-2015, 09:12 PM.
                  Originally posted by Fusion
                  If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                  The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                  William Pitt-

Comment

I went to school for Automotive Design. It was fun and I got to do some neat things, but a stable, competitive job is hard to come by.

Currently I'm working my way through a bachelors in chemical engineering degree with a minor in materials. Looking into composites.

I'm 28 now, wouldn't really change anything. I wanted to enjoy the years immediately out of high school. Became a ski bum, saved money, went to that design school .... I realize some may say it was a waste of time, but that fun time really gave me great perspective and plenty of determination I didn't have at 18.
                    Last edited by SkiFree; 04-16-2015, 09:21 PM.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Currently going to school for mechanical engineering. Would I change my major? No. Would I change the way I went about getting my degree? Hell. Yes.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                      Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

I think I would go the same route as I did, though there are times when I wished I stayed working on cars, or in carpentry. Office work gets dull. I have an associated degree in music recording, a BA in criminal justice, and a masters in social work as well as a state license to practice social work as a therapist. My masters provides stable income that's good for where I live now in GA. It can get boring, but I know what I am going to make every week, and it has provided fiscally a good life.

Comment

Got my Associates in Manufacturing Technology which is basically 1/3 machining, 1/3 welding and 1/3 electrical/pneumatics/hydraulics/plcs, etc. I would definitely do it again. I do plan to go back to school in the fall though and work towards a Bachelors in Manufacturing Engineering.

Like others have said though, don't get a degree in a field you can't get a job in. One big decision for me going into manufacturing is I can go practically anywhere that makes a product and get a job.

Comment

Working...
                          X