No announcement yet.

The Gaming Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betas used to be a nice free thing if you signed up, and got to help develop the game. Now its just a dumb money grabber.
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
      Betas used to be a nice free thing if you signed up, and got to help develop the game. Now its just a dumb money grabber.

$5 isn't really a killer if I hate it.
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
      Originally posted by Northern
      beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
      Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
      Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
      '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
      Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
        $5 isn't really a killer if I hate it.
        What's he's trying to say is betas used to be a testing platform in which developers would weed out bugs... not some privileged bonus feature used to sell games. I mean seriously... exclusive early beta access is fucking stupid.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
          What's he's trying to say is betas used to be a testing platform in which developers would weed out bugs... not some privileged bonus feature used to sell games. I mean seriously... exclusive early beta access is fucking stupid.
          Like when Halo 3 was big, they let everybody beta test Reach for free if I recall correctly. Things like Toxikk and Dirty Bomb had free beta access, but those are f2p games. TF2 still has beta testing for gamemodes and maps so they can garner crowd input. Hell, Valve even checks the subreddit for bugs and fixes them depending on how gamebreaking and how much the playerbase discusses them.

Free beta access and early access is alright by me. Exclusive is stupid. You alienate one playerbase because they need to see results and information before they make the decision to purchase a product. Locking them off from testing and early access through a paywall is a shitty business practice, but that's all up to opinions. Some people don't mind.
          "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
          The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Ahhh.. I misunderstood. It is what it is though. I'm just treating it more as a $5 trial of the game, I guess. It's Activision's greed. We all know they're greedy fuckers.

What's really stupid is how bad Sony's download speeds have been lately. 5 hours downloading, 8GB downloaded. That's ridiculous guys.

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
            Like when Halo 3 was big, they let everybody beta test Reach for free if I recall correctly. Things like Toxikk and Dirty Bomb had free beta access, but those are f2p games. TF2 still has beta testing for gamemodes and maps so they can garner crowd input. Hell, Valve even checks the subreddit for bugs and fixes them depending on how gamebreaking and how much the playerbase discusses them.

Free beta access and early access is alright by me. Exclusive is stupid. You alienate one playerbase because they need to see results and information before they make the decision to purchase a product. Locking them off from testing and early access through a paywall is a shitty business practice, but that's all up to opinions. Some people don't mind.
            Not everyone could beta test Reach I don't think.. or Atleast not if you had Halo 3.. Maybe ODST, but no one had that game, because frankly, it was garbage.

I would agree it is poor business practice, but as I said, its Activision's greed. They know the title will sell, so they're gonna gouge people, which is why in Advanced Warfare, almost everything was DLC.
            Last edited by HennaE30; 08-19-2015, 07:35 PM.
            how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
              no one had that game, because frankly, it was garbage.
              I dunno man. Since I read the books and follow the lore like a madman, I really enjoyed ODST. It gave me a different perspective from being OP Master Chief to a throwaway rookie ODST. Vulnerability. That and the soundtrack was killer.

Unless we're talking about Reach. I have no comment on Reach.

EDIT: I recount what I said. I guess you had to have ODST to get the beta access pass to Reach, BUT Bungie did give out a massive list of free beta codes before the beta started.
              Last edited by UlrichFennec; 08-19-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I really enjoyed the campaign on Reach and still jump on there here and there, for a few games of swat...... now and again still playing 4 all the time though
                Originally posted by Fusion
                If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  I really enjoyed the campaign on Reach and still jump on there here and there, for a few games of swat...... now and again still playing 4 all the time though
                  I never played Reach's campaign, but I got it recently since the games for gold thing was offering it for free. I played multiplayer at a friend's house all the time when it came out. Crazy fun...except for Armor Lock.

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                    I dunno man. Since I read the books and follow the lore like a madman, I really enjoyed ODST. It gave me a different perspective from being OP Master Chief to a throwaway rookie ODST. Vulnerability. That and the soundtrack was killer.

Unless we're talking about Reach. I have no comment on Reach.

EDIT: I recount what I said. I guess you had to have ODST to get the beta access pass to Reach, BUT Bungie did give out a massive list of free beta codes before the beta started.

Activision gives you 3 codes per pre order. Basically you and 2 friends.

Comment

Video games are stupid

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
                        Video games are stupid

Comment

Video games aren't stupid but Halo definitely is. What's the point of an FPS with no ADS?

Comment

Originally posted by anabolice30 View Post
                            Video games are stupid

Comment

Just bought Rocket League...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Just bought Rocket League...
                                It's crazy fun and I need to pick it up. Played it on a friend's PS4 and it brings me back to the days when we used to play Super Mario Strikers.

Comment

Working...
                                X